D&D 5E The Fall of Blackmoor (OOC)

Phoenix8008

First Post
Okay, I need some help to decide exactly what I'm doing here. I'm picturing a dwarf that wants to learn and understand the tech side of things. A tinkerer and builder if possible. I understand that things like guns and laser rifles would be extremely rare, and he's not likely to be able to actually replicate the process needed to fabricate such items, but that would be his driving goal. Maybe he dreams of locating a foundry or assembly plant that he could get going. In the mean time, he might end up disassembling his share of any tech like that to try and figure it out (via downtime training to gain proficiency?). He's a wannabe scientist/technologist in a magical world. He wants to understand the old tech and be able to make some of it work again.

I don't know what class would be best to go with this though. Maybe Warlock with some patron that encourages discovery/rebuilding the old tech? The intelligence of the Wizard would seem to work with the scientist type, but unless he's going to use a magic/tech merger to accomplish stuff it doesn't seem to flow well. None of the Saints listed would seem to lend themselves to this concept. Any other combat class would seem to work for just staying alive when exploring the ruins and finding the old tech. I don't have my PHB with me, but I'll have to see if any backgrounds flow well with this concept once I'm home tonight or tomorrow. I'm open to any ideas from anyone though.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Okay, working up stats to be able to post, but here's the concept: Rock Gnome (for the Tinkerer stuff) with Guild Artisan background who is a (secret) Cleric of St. Celestian (Knowledge Domain). His gnome family was killed by elves when he was very young, leaving him to be found and raised by Dwarves on/in Mt. Ranier (which also later got killed by those damnable elves!). So he's more dour and less happy go lucky than your normal gnome would be. After finding a holy symbol and scripture book (in the form of a puzzle book requiring solving to open), he becomes a cleric of St. Celestian and discovers that he wants to learn all about the old tech and how it works while keeping his status as a cleric secret from the powers that be in Blackmoor so he doesn't get lynched. And if he can learn how to fix/work/recreate some old amazing tech weapons, he'd be more than willing to turn them against the evil elves. But in the meantime, he'll need to explore old ruins in the hopes of finding some untouched caches of tech that haven't been rummaged through many times already in the last thousand years. Till then, a guy has got to eat, so any jobs that can earn him rent and board and research money is grand by him!

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Sounds very groovy. The elves, however, have limited their attacks to the humans of Blackmoor. The dwarves are rumored to be secretly manufacturing weapons for the elves (at least, that's what Blackmoor believes) and the gnomes and halflings don't want to get involved with either side.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I'm seriously considering a human warlock with a pact with an archfey. Whose views on the elves are still unknown...

Phoenix8008

First Post
Kiraya_TiDrekan said:
Sounds very groovy. The elves, however, have limited their attacks to the humans of Blackmoor. The dwarves are rumored to be secretly manufacturing weapons for the elves (at least, that's what Blackmoor believes) and the gnomes and halflings don't want to get involved with either side.

Okay, I can modify based on that info. That's why I posted here first before being all the way done. The fluff can still be altered to fit and the crunch won't really need to change.

Remove ads