The Funeral (Stonegood judging) [finished]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Someone]*Siobhan will follow Ceshil with a five-foot-step and attack him with her drawn weapon. If he doesn't drop but starts moving towards the exit, she announces loud enough for the party to hear:*

"Ceshil is currently disguised as Orrereth but may be able to change shape again, so whoever's nearest move to block the exit and don't let anyone out of here without checking them to see if their form is an illusion--ask questions Ceshil doesn't know but the real person does."

*If he stays to fight, she instead announces:*

"Ceshil is currently disguised as Orrereth and is fighting me over our target. Brother is down from Ceshil's Colour Spray. I need backup."

[/SBLOCK]

Someone

Adventurer
Siobhan watches Stulgar going down and steps towards the man she now knows is Ceshil. She strikes with her scimitar, and bashes the man in the chest with considerable force; Ceshil’s armor stops the blade, but that must had hurt. As she pulls back the blade, Siobhan notices that the clothes are not damaged, and suddenly sees through Orerreth’s image into Ceshil’s face. Ceshil grabs his stomach, and after a moment of hesitation curses loudly and runs towards the exit. Siobhan darts behind him slashing again, calling ” "Ceshil is currently disguised as Orrereth but may be able to change shape again, so whoever's nearest move to block the exit and don't let anyone out of here without checking them to see if their form is an illusion--ask questions Ceshil doesn't know but the real person does."

She’s interrupted by Ceshil’s voice: ”This isn’t the end, Orerreth. Watch your back! Retreat now!”

As he says this the swordmen step back into the mist and dissapear. You can hear their steps running towards the exit.

[crunch details:

Initiative list:

Ceshil 21
Armed men 18
Orerreth 14
Raven 14
Stulgar 9
Niccolo 5
Latharion 4
Siobhan 4

Raven makes this time the feint, but can’t connect. Notice however that her opponent has a miss chance, and therefore Raven couldn’t make sneak attacks.

Stulgar is unconscious

Niccolo makes a great attack, but it’s foiled by the miss chance.

Latharion keeps watching.

Siobhan attacks and wounds Ceshil (3 damage), and sees through the disguise.

Ceshil flees; Siobhan gets her AoO and connects again (4 damage). Latharion attacks too, but fails.

The swordmen disengage and move past Latharion. Since he used his attack of opportunity already he can’t attack them.

Orerreth Delays

Location note: Since Ceshil is still under the effect of his Expeditious Retreat spell he’s now outside your melee range. Also, the two remaining swordmen now block your path]

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: What did Latharion roll on that AoO? If it was decently-good, he might have hit with an action point. Ceshil took 13 Damage (at least--he could have taken more in SBLOCKs I couldn't see), so he can't be doing very well (and if he is actually running, which I can't be sure from the description, he is denied Dex bonus). One hit should end him, I think)

Manzanita

First Post
Raven won't take any more attacks (including AoO's) at any retreating soldiers. If her opponent tries to retreat she will stand back and let him. She'll try to keep an eye on the Orrereth she believes to be the real one.

If her opponent stands his ground, or attacks, she will continue to fight.

inky

First Post
Niccolo - male human swashbuckler

Niccolo grins as his opponent backs off. "We win this one," he says. "Enjoy your pay -- you'd better hope he feels you earned it." Niccolo heads for Stulgar and Siobhan's voices to see what happened to them.

DrZombie

First Post
[sblock=someone]
Raven readied his action for when Ceshil emerged. Wether or not he was able to use an action point to hit him, it would just be an action he took, and he can still make an AoO against one of the thugs, as far as I'm aware. I could be mistaken, offcourse[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
DrZombie: Sorry for the confusion. You took both the AoO and the readied attack, but failed both. You could have spent an action point on any of those, but frankly I'm realizing more and more that action points (or immediate actions) and play by post don't mesh very well; in any case I don't remember what you rolled on those. From now on I'd like you to post a conditional (if I roll so and so I'll spend an action point) for you action point usage, or else make your own rolls using Invisiblecastle.

Shall we continue moving in combat rounds?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It's hard for people to remember to spend action points, particularly ahead of time. I usually ask if people want to use them as it comes up.

Another thing to consider is that unlike at a tabletop, we don't see our rolls. You just say what happens. This means that action points are less useful than usual, since at a tabletop we would know if, for instance, Stulgar missed or hit on X number. That way, he wouldn't needlessly spend an action point on an attack that rolled the same as a previous hit, for instance.

Do you remember what name you used on IC to roll for him, Someone? If so, I'll personally search for the roll so we can figure out if an Action Point would have worked. Such an exciting and close fight deserves to be resolved with the opportunity for an action point, particularly since not defeating Ceshil is likely to mean incredible annoyance later on. It's extremely likely that at least one of those rolls was within 6 of hitting.)

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
ooc: I don't use IC for my own rolls; it already takes enough time to do the turns already, so I use my own dice; it's worked so far in the games I've previously DMed. I agree it's difficult to think on spending action points ahead of time, but if I stop when you get a decent but not very high roll and ask if you want to spend a AP It'd grind the game to a halt.

I'm inclined to leave things as they are and continue the game while we discuss ooc a way to handle action points. But since then it'll look as I'm trying to protect my pet NPC (who by the way isn't essential for the adventure), and I'll let DrZombie roll an attack roll for Latharion. I remember one of them was so low that I didn't bother to look his character sheet, but the other may connect.

Remove ads