• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Funeral (Stonegood judging) [finished]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Someone]Ah, right--I figured she wouldn't be attacking anyways.

@The second part--Did I misread you again? I could *swear* that I saw Ceshil getting hit:

Cashil is reduced to desperate measures now. He moves away from Niccolo, who gets his attack of opportunity and this time connects (6 damage)

Siobhan was right there when this happened too, and Orrereth did not get hit. Siobhan is actually a pretty boring character in many respects because the Shifter penalty to Int and Cha means she can't be very smart or very persuasive, but the one thing she has going for her is that she is very perceptive (has a +Spot feat and everything), so I figured it made sense that she would notice this since you mentioned it (but I thought at the time that it was supposed to be a clue for the character).
[/SBLOCK]

Someone

Adventurer
[sblock=Siobhan]
Oops! I got that somewhat wrong; I skimmed over that round and only saw the regular charge attack. We both are partially right, however: Niccolo did indeed hit with his AoO, but definitely that wasn't to Ceshil's face. The handkerchief issue isn't definitely a random detail, and now that you mentioned it I was going to allow you to make a skill check to give you some important information. But it turns that it's Trained only, and looks like you lack he skill.[/sblock]

New round coming right now.

Someone

Adventurer
[sblock=Raven and Niccolo]
[sblock=Raven]Looks like Raven isn’t putting much effort into his, as his opponent saw her feint coming and blocked her sword thrusts professionally. At least she’s distracting the swordman long enough to allow Orerreth an opportunity to strike: he does so while slowly (5 foot step) circling the man. [/sblock]

Niccolo appears from the mist, parrying and thrusting, without much success as their defenses prove to be too thick for their opponent. Niccolo and Raven look at each other’s outlined forms within the mist, fighting with barely seen opponents. Not what they thought they were doing to do when they got up this morning.

You also hear Stulgar speaking with Siobhan and the obvious sound of spellcasting not far from you, followed by a brief and dampened flash of color.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stulgar and Siobhan]
[sblock=Stulgar]
As you fight to stay on your feet, you call for Siobhan, and hear steps approaching. The mist opens to revel Siobhan, who’s looking backwards wearily.[/sblock]

[sblock=Siobhan]
ooc: I’ve been considering the situation carefully; it’s been difficult since it involves character abilities, posted action and my best interpretation of your intentions. If you’re going to blame someone, blame the guy who just lets a spellcaster blast him, point blank, repeatedly, with Mind affecting effects and then just lures you there.

IC: Siobhan intuition tells her not to Orerreth, and keeps ready to strike him if he does something funny. A few paces beyond, but still not losing Orerreth from sight, she finally finds Stulgar, tired but still defending the warforged’s “corpse”.[/sblock]

Stulgar has only time to say “Oh no, not aga…” before the entire area is filled with clashing colors, striking your senses hard enough.

Ooc: “Orerreth” stepped 5 feet back before casting, so no AoO. Both of you roll (another) Will saving throw[/sblock]

[sblock=Latharion]
Nobody emerges from the mist. You can hear some f your companions calling each other, fighting and what sounds as the sound of spellcasting[/sblock]

Manzanita

First Post
Raven's action, visible to Someone & Niccolo [sblock]

Raven realizes her opponent is quite skillful. She edges around towards Orerreth, trying to allow him to withdraw. "Is your employment worth your death?" she asks the man she fights. "Go get what you need!" she tells Orerreth.

OOC: What weapon is Orerreth using? What weapon & armor is her opponet using? Raven will try the same tactic again. improved feint. This time, she'll use her combat expertise to put one BAB to AC. This gives her an AC of 19. Rolls. to hit of 8. :( After this part is over, you'll have to tell us more how you expected this battle to come out. I'll agree it's pretty chaotic, but I like it that way. [/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Someone]She can't take a few paces beyond--if she moves even one space past Orrereth, then the Obscuring Mist obscures him. Unless you mean she moves around him but still stays adjacent? In this case, I'd really have rather her not done that. The point was to stay as close as possible between Ceshil and the door so that he would have a harder time escaping, so having her go around him like that would be counterproductive. Could she please do that?

But yeah, I do blame Bront/Stulgar--the whole letting-himself-get-hit-repeatedly-with-spells-and-do-nothing thing is really annoying. And for this I controlled his character to get there first with panache :(

Anyway, I'm rolling the Will save in case you won't let me have her stay put as I stated--she has a very high Will save, so she'll likely make it anyway, but I'd rather have her in the old spot, Color Spray or not.

EDIT: Yep, her Will Save is 16. Since she saved against the effect anyway even if you force her to move into it, can you please let her stay where she was before?
[/SBLOCK]

Someone

Adventurer
[sblock=Siobhan]
She can't take a few paces beyond--if she moves even one space past Orrereth, then the Obscuring Mist obscures him. Unless you mean she moves around him but still stays adjacent?

That's right, in fact Siobhan moved right through his space, since he was, or at least behaved, as an ally, though I didn't think it was neccesary to mention that detail. I know you know he's Ceshil, but the fact is that he did made both Bluff and Disguise checks (and you, unlike Stulgar, hasn't interact yet with his Disguise self spell, so by the RAW of the spell I don't believe a saving throw is in order), plus Siobhan hasn't seen him cast any Illusion spell, plus the handkerchief wasn't a real clue. He even doesn't have the wound Niccolo caused him. For Siobhan that guy is Orerreth, though I of course allow you not wanting to trust him.

Siobhan also entered the mist with the intention of joining Stulgar; this round I think Siobhan's decision to block Ceshil's path isn't based on in character knowledge, nor have you offered any reason not to. So I ruled that the most appropiate thing to do was to continue carrying Siobhan's actions (joining Stulgar) as long at the same time she keeps the guy you totally think is Orerreth watched. It turned that it was possible to do both things at the same time, since believe it or not Ceshil was only 10 feet far from Stulgar, having taken a 5 foot step the last round.

If it's of some consolation, you could have positioned yourself blocking Ceshil's path to the gates and still be possible to catch you both in a 15 foot cone.[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
[sblock=Raven]
OOC: What weapon is Orerreth using? What weapon & armor is her opponet using?

Orerreth is using a slender short sword, while the swordman is two weapon fighting with longsword and dagger, and wears a chain shirt. Notice again that currently he's fighting defensively.
[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Someone]I don't care about both being caught in the cone--that's fine. I've seen Colour Spray do its deadly work, and I don't begrudge that--she had no way to know he was going to cast that. I'm more concerned with having Siobhan positioned correctly, since 5 feet may not seem like much, but it is critical when dealing with Obscuring Mist[/SBLOCK]

inky

First Post
Niccolo - male human swashbuckler

[sblock=Niccolo's action]Cursing at the surrounding mist, Niccolo attacks again.

OOC: I assume I can't move so Raven and I are flanking one of our opponents, but if I can, I do.[/sblock]

Remove ads