• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Hierophant, a cleric-warlock variant

Alexemplar

First Post
I think the combining of Warlock/Cleric abilities towards the first 2 levels kind of frontloads the class. At 2nd level, for example, you're looking at an additional spell known, an additional spell slot, Channel Divnity (and a couple of options) as well as a couple of Benedictions(Invocations).

I think it'd be better to drop Channel Divinity and convert some of them into Benedictions. Or move Channel Divinity to 3rd level. Or even fill in that space with something like Like Lay on Hands- as mentioned before. That would give the class more healing options since you're not likely to want to spend those spell slots on unmodified Cure Wounds/Healing Word.

1Mac

First Post
I think the combining of Warlock/Cleric abilities towards the first 2 levels kind of frontloads the class. At 2nd level, for example, you're looking at an additional spell known, an additional spell slot, Channel Divnity (and a couple of options) as well as a couple of Benedictions(Invocations).

Could be! Are you remembering/noticing that the Hierophant's Channel Divinity does not include Turn Undead by default? Also, the Hierophant's spell list isn't as offensively potent as the Warlock's, so that might make it less front-loaded than it might appear (another good reason to nerf the Mystery benediction).

Remove ads