• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

'The Hulk'

This is a concept for a character my freind wants, and I want to help him.

He wants the most physicaly capable character that could be created, but when it comes to magic, problem solving and other such things, he isnt particularly concerned (Though he enjoys seeing the group use spells and disarm traps, so he fits in well with us no worries there)

We are starting a new campaign in a few weeks.

All 3.5 source books are usable, and 3.0 content is usualy allowed but it is preferable to use 3.5 instead.
_____

This character wants to have near 0 abilities it needs to activate, while having an incredible natural strength.

The character is becoming a half orc, as while all books are allowed, only PBH races.

He has a strength of 18

he is becoming a wearbear granting +16 strength

His racial bonus is +2 strength

We have here 36 strength, which ofcourse, is quite large.

He may use the half orc paragon rout, adding an aditional +2

Now 38 strength

As soon as we get the chance, a +6 strength item will be purchased totaling 44 strength.

Obviously every four levels he is adding a point to strength, and if we can get him points in inherent strength bonus, thats great, but that is kinda tricky as far as I can tell, so any suggestions on an easy method to do that would be apreciated

-edit- Nezkrul added warhulk prc idea

thats 10 levels to +20 str

so 64 strength

The rage (spell) adds a +2 moral bonus so 66

Circumstantialy we may use emoplato's useful suggestion to gain another 6 str, (as they are feats not class features this makes them more appealing) can reach 72 strength
The party has a sorceror, and a wizard (The wizard being me, and happy to use any spells I can to buff him)

How else can we increase the characters strength?

As he is a wearbear he has already had a size increase in his stransformed state, I think this means enlarge person wont work on him?

An increase in constitution and dexterity for him is also nice as any side notes but this character is ment to emphasise the simple desire to smash things. He enjoys the character concept, so if I have made a mistake in my methods of boosting his power, or missed something, please point it out.

Any classes that add to strength would be apreciated if you know of them.

Start 18 str
+ 2 half orc
+20 10 level's of warhulk
+2 3 levels half orc paragon
+16 8 levels of wearbear
+16 bite of the werebear
+2 Rage
+6 for invulantery rage and pain mastery
+5 for choosing str boost every 4 levels
+5 if we get him an inherit bonus
92 str

Question: can we use polymorph to modify him into a werebear giant getting him another +16 boost (I forget the giant variant, but thats the largest I have seen)
If so can we have him hit 108 str

With his 'bear' hands thats +41 boost
With a two handed weapon thats +60 boost

If the giant thing flies then thats +49 str with his fists
Or +73 with a two handed weapon

------
He will be fun to have in the party and be very good in some situations.

Any more recomendations would be apreciated ofcourse, but I think this certainly captures the essence of what he seems to want
(heh heh, zeus only has a strength of 55)

Last edited:

Nezkrul

First Post
miniatures handbook, "warhulk" prc

also, consider asking the dm if you can make custom items for his character, like say, an item that lets him activate a Bite of the Werebear spell on himself 4/day. That buff gives +16 enhancement to strength, +8 enhancement to constitution, +2 enhancement to dexterity, +7 enhancement to natural armor.

Drowbane

First Post
Adding to the War Hulk suggestion. The beauty here is that he only qualifies for the PrC when he is Large+ (werebear for the win). So his 1/2orc form does not benefit from the PrC, and he can use his int based skills (if any) freely.

emoplato

First Post
This is a concept for a character my freind wants, and I want to help him.

He wants the most physicaly capable character that could be created, but when it comes to magic, problem solving and other such things, he isnt particularly concerned (Though he enjoys seeing the group use spells and disarm traps, so he fits in well with us no worries there)

We are starting a new campaign in a few weeks.

All 3.5 source books are usable, and 3.0 content is usualy allowed but it is preferable to use 3.5 instead.
_____

This character wants to have near 0 abilities it needs to activate, while having an incredible natural strength.

The character is becoming a half orc, as while all books are allowed, only PBH races.

He has a strength of 18

he is becoming a wearbear granting +16 strength

His racial bonus is +2 strength

We have here 36 strength, which ofcourse, is quite large.

He may use the half orc paragon rout, adding an aditional +2

Now 38 strength

As soon as we get the chance, a +6 strength item will be purchased totaling 44 strength.

Obviously every four levels he is adding a point to strength, and if we can get him points in inherent strength bonus, thats great, but that is kinda tricky as far as I can tell, so any suggestions on an easy method to do that would be apreciated

The party has a sorceror, and a wizard (The wizard being me, and happy to use any spells I can to buff him)

How else can we increase the characters strength?

As he is a wearbear he has already had a size increase in his stransformed state, I think this means enlarge person wont work on him?

An increase in constitution and dexterity for him is also nice as any side notes but this character is ment to emphasise the simple desire to smash things. He enjoys the character concept, so if I have made a mistake in my methods of boosting his power, or missed something, please point it out.

Any classes that add to strength would be apreciated if you know of them.
Flavor-wise Involuntary Rage and Pain Mastery, these feats are keyed off of taking 50 or more points of damage. Involuntary Rage gives +4 str., +4 con. -2 AC and Pain Mastery gives you +2 fully stackable str. A way to manage the damage in take would be to look into the Trouser-snake build as you can get stupid amounts of "fast-healing". Drunken Master actually can help too amazingly.
It is found here Arsenic & Old Lace - the Poison Handbook
I guess there is also the Cancer Mage Festering Anger but at this point you probably have gone green on him.

Last edited:

xigbar

Explorer
Permanent enlarge. Also, Bite of the Werebear, the spell, stacks with the actual were-bear bonuses. As for rage, Orc Paragon already gives you that. Taking levels in Hulking Hurler if you can. I believe it's in Complete Warrior.

Greenfield

Adventurer
A Barbarian level or two in there can help.

One caution on the Werebear route though:

The Werebear template is either a +8 or +9 total LA.

To break that down, either +2 or +3 for ECL, depending on whether he's "afflicted" or "natural", plus another 6 dice of Bear.

That means that he has a whole lot fewer character levels to spend on classes and PRCs, and that many fewer Feats acquired with those levels.

You might want to look at Half Dragon instead.

emoplato

First Post
A Barbarian level or two in there can help.

One caution on the Werebear route though:

The Werebear template is either a +8 or +9 total LA.

To break that down, either +2 or +3 for ECL, depending on whether he's "afflicted" or "natural", plus another 6 dice of Bear.

That means that he has a whole lot fewer character levels to spend on classes and PRCs, and that many fewer Feats acquired with those levels.

You might want to look at Half Dragon instead.
LA 2 for afflicted, LA 3 for natural, the issue is the 6 animal HD.

Nezkrul

First Post
after all is said and done, i came up with a level 20 guy with the following specs:

Werebear 6 / Half-Orc paragon 3 / Fighter 4 / Barbarian 1 / Warhulk 6 (bought off all his +3 level adjustment by the time he hits 20 hd)

if a custom bite of the werebear item is allowed, managed to get this guy up to 78 strength buffed. And I haven't even uberoptimized it yet :p so "The Hulk" can exist, though, after trying to think up a roleplay situation with him, I came to the conclusion that he has Rocky Balboa's voice; so I named him Rocky Balbeara

Dandu

First Post
Cancer Mage, Book of Vile Darkness.

Abuse Festering Anger for arbitrarily high strength, and Vile Rigidity for arbitrarily high natural armor.

TKDB

First Post
after all is said and done, i came up with a level 20 guy with the following specs:

Werebear 6 / Half-Orc paragon 3 / Fighter 4 / Barbarian 1 / Warhulk 6 (bought off all his +3 level adjustment by the time he hits 20 hd)

if a custom bite of the werebear item is allowed, managed to get this guy up to 78 strength buffed. And I haven't even uberoptimized it yet :p so "The Hulk" can exist, though, after trying to think up a roleplay situation with him, I came to the conclusion that he has Rocky Balboa's voice; so I named him Rocky Balbeara

Why not go for all 10 levels of War Hulk? The werebear HD give you 3 feats and +4 BAB, so you'd only need 1 level in a full-BAB class after the racial HD to qualify. If you're strictly looking to max out Str, 4 more levels of War Hulk will probably serve better than 4 of fighter.

Remove ads