• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Hunted (DM: IronSky, Judge: ???)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I thought I was going next round. I wasn't participating in the Thievery round at all. We have multiple rounds to get the trap in, right?

Everyone needs to participate in every round of skill challenge. You cannot skip those that don't suit your character...you could have rolled aid for Earth or Devinhim, but since you rolled Arcana you wait for Iron Sky ruling on this.

Mab can aid arcana next round. And Illarion will too, since Thievery is almost sure fire thing. But you should think on letting Mab do main roll since she has best Arcana (at 10 with her skill bonus from the ship)

johnmeier1

Explorer
OOC: Well, then it was rather silly of Illarion to aid Mab on her Theivery check if he could have aided Raijin's Arcana then. I mean to say she didn't need a 34.

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

OOC: The only skill in this particular challenge set that Devinihm's helpful with is Perception. Neurotic indicated everyone has to roll each round, however? Is that correct? I've thrown in an aiding perception, though Earth doesn't actually need it. Would perception be applicable to aiding Thievery or Arcana in any way (with a penalty or with a reduced aid benefit)? Just trying to figure out what Dev can roll for the remaining two or so rounds. :)

Last edited:

pacdidj

First Post
OOC: Just a quick note to say that I'm back in town now and mostly caught up on the thread. Great job demon slayers! :D And thanks a million for running Mab Neurotic! Nice job RPing her too. I'd posrep you, but "You must spread some XP around, blah, blah, blah..."

I'll take Mab's turn during the next round. She would have had 5 surges left at the end of the combat, and would have spent three to return to 39/41 HP, with 2 surges remaning. Updated statblock is below.

[sblock=stat block]Auntie Mab - Human Rogue 4
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/L4W:pC:Auntie_Mab_(pacdidj)
Conditions:
Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 18, Init: +6
AC: 20, Fort: 16, Reflex: 20, Will: 17
Speed: 6
HP: 39/41, Bloodied: 20, Surge Value: 10, Surges left: 2/8
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: used, Milestones:
:bmelee:Basic Atk: Dagger +6 vs AC, 1d4 dmg
:branged:Ranged Basic Atk: Throw Dagger +11 vs AC, 1d4+5 dmg, Range 5/10
Powers-
Preparatory Shot, Gloaming Cut, Sly Flourish, Fast Hands
Eyebite, Shadow Strike, Fleeting Spirit Strike
Twilight Menace
Prison of Salzacas, Cloak of Resistance, Gambler's Suit

Tristram - Rat Familiar
HP: 1/1; AC: 20, Fort: 16, Ref: 20, Will: 17
Skills: +17 Thievery, +21 Stealth

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
The simple way is just a short hallway with a skeleton impaled on spikes at the end. There are some ancient, rusted away spears jutting from the wall and scorch marks here and there and there are probably more traps that weren't set off.

The other way is a large room with pillars over a spiked pit, tripwires, a section that seems to be only reached by climbing, and finally, a pedestal with dozens of relics on it and a mass of skeletons still locked in the positions where they died, apparently all killing each other.

Illarion and Mab clear the traps in the first half of the hallway, the others carefully following their footsteps.

Earth moves up and silently points at some of the traps ahead.

Raijin moves up beside him, trying to spot the traps and sets off a tripwire, a huge scything blade swinging from the wall and gashing his side...

[sblock=Traps]The group now has a chance to do some looting.

You may eventually try all of the areas below, but pick one at at time to work on.

You can aid another. Anyone who makes a roll in the challenge (normal or aid-another) will be at risk if the total failure trap is set off.

On total failure, the trap is failed and must be retried.

Simple
Required Rolls: 1 Perception, 1 Arcana, 2 1 Thievery check: DC 20
Success: 4 successes before 3 failures. 2 successes.
Failure: Each failure sets off a trap that only affects the individual rolling(and any players aiding that person): +8 vs Reflex, 1d10+5 damage. 1 failure.
Total Failure: If 3 failures, everyone participating is caught in a trap: +8 vs Reflex, 3d10+4 damage, 1/2 damage on a miss.
Reward: 1d3 Level 4 loot parcels.

Moderate Complete
Reward: 460gp, Bracers of Defense(Level 7) Raijin

Complex
Required Rolls: 1 Perception, 2 Athletics, 1 Acrobatics, 2 Arcana, 2 Thievery checks: DC 20
Success: 8 successes before 3 failures.
Failure: Each failure sets off a trap that only affects the individual rolling(and any players aiding that person): +10 vs Will, 2d6+4 damage.
Total Failure: If 3 failures, everyone participating is caught in a trap: +10 vs Will, 5d6+5 psychic damage, 1/2 damage on a miss.
Reward: 2d6 Level 4 loot parcels.[/sblock]

GM: If anyone is going to aid, aid rolls MUST be rolled before the primary check since there's a penalty for failing the primary. Each player participating in disarming the traps (you can opt out of helping, though if you help on one check you're in for the whole challenge) must make one check each round, even if its aiding for the next round. If you are aiding, you must aid with the same skill you are attempting to aid (roll Thievery to aid Thievery, Arcana for Arcana, etc).

Trap status:

Current Round: 2
Succeeded Checks: Thievery x 1, Perception x 1
Failed Checks: Arcana(Raijin). Raijin takes an attack: 24 Reflex, hit, 7 damage.
Overall Status: 2 successes, 1 failure.
Remaining Checks: Arcana x 1, Thievery x 1.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: And thanks a million for running Mab Neurotic! Nice job RPing her too.

No problem. I tried to get into 'auntie mode' :D and succeeded (helps that I have one such in real life :( )

Illarion looks over the trap that Raijin set off. He observes the triggering sigil and checks the line of the blade.

"This one we could reset after we're done. If we just could change the sigil for the moment. Maybe like this?" he draws similar sigil in the dust.

Arcana aid another (1d20+5=21) - this is second 16 for aid another in a row for me. As I said before, maybe Mab should roll primary roll with Raijin and Illarion aid?

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

OOC: Ack. Probably would have been better for everyone, clearly, if Devinihm had stayed the heck out of this one. He's only useful on Perception, and I'm afraid he's going to make it harder rather than easier to make the next two checks. Apologies in advance. IronSky did confirm there wasn't a time limit, though, right? So let's try this...

Devinihm jumps as one of the traps goes off. While simple, this corridor feels more ... cramped to him.

"Auntimab, I think I see one of the levers like the other corridor," he says, "But the opening is small. Let me..." he quickly pulls off his constricting armor, then does his best to maneuver his less-obstructed hands to the lever. "I will pull it to reset on your word, Auntimab."

OOC: Okay, removing Hide Armor to lose it's Thievery penalty. Between that and the boon, I think that gives him a +4 to his aid roll (target 11). Best I got.

ETA: fudge. Sorry, guys. :(

johnmeier1

Explorer
OOC: Okay, what happens when you don't use an aid another for the round, like the Thievery? I hope Mab uses our Arcanas instead.

Raijin will put on his new bracers and aid another

Grimacing at the small cut, Raijin quickly slips his new bracers on and looks from afar at the sigils. Mab, I can't get my hands in there, can you reach the arcane tracings?

jkason

First Post
OOC: Okay, what happens when you don't use an aid another for the round, like the Thievery? I hope Mab uses our Arcanas instead.

OOC: I assumed she would, actually, expecially since it seemed with her feats that she should be pretty golden for that check with both of your help.

I took IronSky's "even if its aiding for the next round" to mean that Devinihm rolling an aid this round will affect the primary check next round. I suppose, though, I should ask how that works next round for Devinihm's check: can he aid Thievery again (possibly cancelling out the penalty he just stuck Mab with)? If not, and Thievery is the only check left, how does the 'everyone has to roll' component affect him that round?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads