The Hunted (DM: IronSky, Judge: ???)

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

Devinihm looks up at the dead frozen in their tableau in the final route and frowns.

"This way gives my stomach aching," he says. "Perhaps all these riches are what tempted Dartanian an lead to his demise?"

OOC: My issue with Mab taking primary on 5 out of 8 checks, especially if Earth is participating, is that each participating character has to roll each round. The more rounds we take so that we can wait for Mab to be primary, the more rounds one or more of us is to get stuck rolling an aid for a check we're more likely to fail (penalizing the primary) than succeed. Earth's 'bad' scores aren't all that worse than the rest of us, but while our aid target is 11, his is 14, which does significantly decrease his odds.

And on the variable resistance, that only covers Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, or Thunder damage. So no one's getting resist from the boons so far as I can tell.

Devinihm should be at full HP (40), but only has 1 surge (value 10) left. He could basically just barely survive one round failure and a total trap failure.

That said, if everyone else really wants to do this, I won't be a spoiler

pacdidj

First Post
And perhaps the best with the arcane on THIS island is Mab...

"It's like I told you dearie. I'm a great and powerful fey seer. The paths of destiny and the workings of magic are foretold to Auntie Mab," Mab pontificates with much mysterious hand flourishing, while Tristram buries his face in his paws in shame.

"And yes Illarion dearie, I suppose I could magic those traps off if Earth could climb across and throw us a rope. It does look awfully dangerous though. I don't like the look of all those skeletons..."

"Still 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' as Luran always says. And I could dearly use that money to help out with poor Yenros. Let's give it a go dearies. We can always backtrack if something goes wrong."

OOC: I'm for trying a couple of rounds to see how it plays out. If we get too low on healing surges we can back out. There's nothing that says you can't back out of a skill challenge is there? Mab only has 2 surges left and currently stands at 39/41 HP, so she could probably just barely survive one individual failure, and a total failure.

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

"Still 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' as Luran always says. And I could dearly use that money to help out with poor Yenros. Let's give it a go dearies. We can always backtrack if something goes wrong."

OOC: I'm for trying a couple of rounds to see how it plays out. If we get too low on healing surges we can back out. There's nothing that says you can't back out of a skill challenge is there? Mab only has 2 surges left and currently stands at 39/41 HP, so she could probably just barely survive one individual failure, and a total failure.

Devinihm bites his bark-covered lip a moment, thinking, then nods. "I will follow your lead, Auntimab."

OOC: Okay, I'd been under the impression that if we started the challenge, we had to finish it, or at least had to take it to Total Failure. If we can back out if things start going south, I'm much more willing to take a shot at it, though we should still probably figure out who's rolling primary and who's aiding for the rounds so we don't accidentally hamstring each other. :)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
GM: There's no limit to the rounds you take on the trap(you could do it over 8 rounds with everyone aiding the primary if you so desired).

Once you make your first roll, you are in. In character, the group has advanced into the room far enough that you are surrounded by traps.

I'll rule that if you guys decide to back out the group decides:

*Back out together (setting off the Total Failure trap on the group)
*Split up and find your own way out (setting off 1d4 Failure traps per individual).
*If your character goes down while in the trapped room, someone has to go in and get you, facing two more Failure traps as they retrieve your body while you make death saves...

You do have the option of not participating in the skill challenge, in which case you don't suffer any risks, but don't get any of the rewards if the group succeeds.

If you decide as a group not to do this trap with this new information, we'll ignore Earth's first roll (unless he wants to try to solo the trap I guess).

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
OOC: Given the backing out penalties, and now the extra penalties for going down in the trap room, I'm back to being inclined against this, myself. I'd be happy to just have Devinihm sit out and leave the loot to you guys, though, if everyone else is still gung-ho on it. I don't think he really changes the odds much, since most of his good skills are Earth's good skills (and Earth has better scores in them).

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Don't be ridicoulous. We need you and your perception and other skills - not to mention durability :)

I'm for going all in, but of course, it's group decision.

pacdidj

First Post
OOC: I'm still up for it if that's the group's decision. Odds of success aren't great. But, neither are odds of death. For Mab anyway.

johnmeier1

Explorer
The sorcerer follows Earth's path carefully, looking towards Mab for her expertise.

OOC: Raijin is still ready to go, I think total trap failure on average won't kill him. If we fail then we only suffer total failure ONCE right? For example, if we fail we aren't IN the trap to get out per your rules, DM?

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

OOC: Okay, looks like everyone's in, then. How are we rolling this stuff, though? Devinihm is more likely to give Mab a penalty if he rolls Arcana (+2), and not so great odds to help with Acrobatics or Thievery (+4 each). Only checks he's likely to be a decent help on will be the second Athletics (+8) (he can't aid the first because Earth already rolled) and the Perception check (+11).

The wilden catches the line Earth throws from his spot, and helps stabalize it for his teammates to make it to the platform Earth has leapt to.

Athletics aid (round 2) (1d20+8=15)

Remove ads