The Hunted (DM: IronSky, Judge: ???)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Mab is effectively at +17 for traps so no matter what you do, you cannot really blow her roll esp with Illarions aid giving +4. But that's for the next round, I believe. As for the next round, you simply don't roll since we end the challenge after Mabs roll (if successful). If she fails, we all get the damage. Let's hope it's psychic...but wait, we get variable resistance boon :D no problem there...

pacdidj

First Post
"Hmm... Well, I can't dearie," Auntie Mab says, eying the narrow opening. "But I'll bet our little helper can," she declares, as she uncorks her jeweled bottle, releasing the Hand of Salzacas. The spectral tieflingoid hand flexes its fingers and darts forward, easily passing through the opening and expertly striking out the parts of the sigil that pose an immanent threat.

Arcana (with bonuses from aid another x 2, demon hunter's boon, and bonus to skill checks while on the island) (1d20+8+2+2+1+1=26)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
GM: That just leaves the last Thievery check.

You can aid a check that's happening the current round, you just have to roll before the primary check is made. What I meant by "even if it's aiding for a check next round" is that you don't have to be aiding a check that is happening this round; you can aid one that doesn't occur until later.

You can only aid each check once however.

pacdidj

First Post
OOC: Well, there's no way I can really fail this except nat 1, so...

"Ooh, look at that dearies. A spike trap and a pressure plate. How quaint. I'll just, um, magic it off for a minute," Mab says, quickly slipping her hand beneath the false floorstone and flicking it's spring-loaded switch off it's mount.

"There we go... Ah! Poor dear," she remarks, startled by the impaled skeleton, "It doesn't do to go meddling with traps and such without great and formidable arcane powers like Auntie's."

Clucking her tongue at the skeleton's misfortune, Auntie Mab proceeds to uncover the treasures protected by the now-defunct spike trap.

Thievery (with bonuses from Prison of Salzacas, Demon Hunter's Boon, and skill bonus while on the Island) (1d20+15+2+1+1=24)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
With the last trap disabled, the group loots the body of the dead adventurer.

Whatever it was, it was carrying:

A talisman that, when touched, causes a suit of hide armor to suddenly appear on the skeleton's body: Summoned Hide Armor +2(level 6) Devinihm
An amulet of amber with a spark flickering constantly in its heart: Amulet of Life +1(level 5) Illarion

The last way is a large room with stone pillars rising from a spiked pit, tripwires, a section that seems to be only reached by climbing, and finally, a pedestal with dozens of relics on it and a mass of skeletons still locked in the positions where they died, apparently all killing each other.

GM: Going for the last trap is up to you. It's that or head out of the temple at this point.

[sblock=Traps]The group now has a chance to do some looting.

You may eventually try all of the areas below, but pick one at at time to work on.

You can aid another. Anyone who makes a roll in the challenge (normal or aid-another) will be at risk if the total failure trap is set off.

On total failure, the trap is failed and must be retried.

Simple Complete
Reward: Summoned Hide Armor +2(level 6), Amulet of Life +1(level 5)

Moderate Complete
Reward: 460gp, Bracers of Defense(Level 7) Raijin

Complex
Required Rolls: 1 Perception, 2 Athletics, 1 Acrobatics, 2 Arcana, 2 Thievery checks: DC 20
Success: 8 successes before 3 failures.
Failure: Each failure sets off a trap that only affects the individual rolling(and any players aiding that person): +10 vs Will, 2d6+4 damage.
Total Failure: If 3 failures, everyone participating is caught in a trap: +10 vs Will, 5d6+5 psychic damage, 1/2 damage on a miss.
Reward: 2d6 Level 4 loot parcels.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
OOC: The odds on the last trap seem (appropriately) a lot less likely for us. I'm cool with passing it up, but someone with a better math brain would have to figure out the round-by-round strategy. My best guess (trying not to have Earth aid since his aid target would be 14 to most of our 11's) goes like this:

Round 1&2: Thievery: Mab (19) primary
Athletics: Earth (12) primary, aid Devinihm (8)
Arcana: Raijin (8) primary, aid Illarion (6)

Round 3: Perception: Earth (12) primary, aid Raijin (3) & Devinihm (11)
Acrobatics: Mab (8) primary, aid Illarion (5)

If any of the checks fail, and odds are decent one of the arcana's and/ or the acrobatics might, I'm not sure I can come up with a configuration where one or more of us isn't likely to be detrimental rolling an aid, though we have to roll each round.

Neurotic

OOC:
Didn't really check the math or skills, but we could always risk aiding Mab with Arcana so she shas primary roll with two bonuses. That would make Arcana more likely to succeed at the very least. That would ofcourse put Raijin and Illarion on backup position in second round when Mab rolls Arcana. If she succeedes they need to aid some other skill or if she fails Illarion aids and Raijin rolls. We had plenty of luck until now, on the other hand we have Earth now so Athletics in no longer such problem.

I vote we go for it (so we can get Iron Sky in trouble for all the treasure he gives out :p )

"Let's reset the traps here and there. What do you say, Earth, could you climb up there in that last room? There are traps, sure, but we can handle those. It's the climbing that presents real challenge...Auntie, what do you think, could we restore some of the traps to working order? Altough these spears seem totally useless."

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I vote we go for it (so we can get Iron Sky in trouble for all the treasure he gives out :p )

GM: Ironically, I've rolled maximum for both traps(6 parcels for the first one you disarmed, then 3 for the second), then rolled abysmally for the actual parcels on the Rules Compendium random treasure charts. Any way it goes, you'll be pretty close to the recommended amount of treasure(though if you make it through the last trap and I roll maximum again, that might overdo it a bit). :p

Neurotic

GM: Ironically, I've rolled maximum for both traps(6 parcels for the first one you disarmed, then 3 for the second), then rolled abysmally for the actual parcels on the Rules Compendium random treasure charts. Any way it goes, you'll be pretty close to the recommended amount of treasure(though if you make it through the last trap and I roll maximum again, that might overdo it a bit). :p

Let me roll, let me roll! You roll max for the number, I'll roll for the actual treasure :D Just tell me what is needed. Illarion is a gambler! And affects chaos by his will (roll 1d20+50 vs Will DC 50 to succeed :p)

More seriously, would you please when you give out XP consolidate those few last treasures so we don't have 5 links all over character sheets for tracking?

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Raijin nods. I believe Earth has the best chance of getting up there over myself. Then he looks reluctantly at Auntie Mab And perhaps the best with the arcane on THIS island is Mab... he trails off.

OOC: I am agreement with jkason's plan with the modification of Mab doing Arcana as well (how many rounds do we have to finish the trap?)
I have resist 10 damage on one attack and we all have variable against the psychic.
I am at 23/42 (so spending a surge before we start to be at 33/42)
Average damage for individual failure: 11 damage (max 16)
Average psychic for total failure: 22 damage (max 35) on miss 11 damage

Remove ads