The Hunted (DM: IronSky, Judge: ???)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Roll acrobatics and/or thievery - you have better then 50% to aid in those (don't forget you have +1 thievery against traps (which I think this qualifies). As for backing out, I'd go for individual traps since it's lower single damage can be somewhat mitigated by resists or misses.

Thievery aid another (1d20+7+1=27) Da*n, not one of these aids would've failed the check.

Last edited:

pacdidj

First Post
"Oooh! Look out Raijin dearie! There's a trip wire just there. See it? You'd have had a poisoned dart in your neck faster than you can say festering foulspawn. Now what was that you were saying? Ah, yes, magical energies. Let me think a moment..."

Thievery, with +4 from aid another, +2 from Prison of Salzacas, +1 from Demon Hunter's Boon, and +1 to checks while on the island (1d20+15++4+2+1+1=25)

OOC: [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] - For these DC 20 checks, there's really no point in a Thievery Aid Another for Mab, as there's no way she can possibly fail with a total of a +19 bonus (except that I think Iron Sky counts nat 1 as an autofail). Far more useful would be an arcana aid, since without aid Mab's chances are only 50/50, or Acrobatics, which has even worse odds.

I'm going to go ahead and roll Thievery this round, and use Raijin's Arcana aid next round. Another successful Arcana aid next round would be awesome, as it would boost Mab's total modifier to +14.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Arcana aid another (1d20+5=11) - figures :) - unless boons count for this or there is a hidden bonus I'm not seeing this is failure since Mab is 4th level - obviously, this is for second round

"Hmm, I think this trap ward is already disabled, it seems it was one shot." offer Illarion 'helpfully'

jkason

First Post
Arcana aid another (1d20+5=11) - figures :) - unless boons count for this or there is a hidden bonus I'm not seeing this is failure since Mab is 4th level - obviously, this is for second round

OOC: I actually thought they did: the property reads "Gain +1 to all skill checks made to notice, avoid, or disarm traps." It doesn't name specific skills, just the circumstance under which they're used. Since these are trap challenges, I assumed that all our checks were effectively checks to notice, avoid, or disarm the traps, whether they were thievery / perception or not.

Also, I thought the target for aiding was 10 + 1/2 level of the PC making the aid roll, not the PC you're attempting to aid (so, no matter whom he's aiding, Illarion's target is 11 until he goes up a level). Essentially, it cancels out the level bonus for skills when they're used to aid, so high level PC's aren't auto-succeeding aid checks with skills they've put no training into.

If I've got at least one of those facts correct, Illarion made the check; If I've got them both wrong, chalk up some more to my bad learning curve with 4e. ;)

pacdidj

First Post
OOC: I think boons do count toward this since one of the properties reads: "Gain +1 to all skill checks made to notice, avoid, or disarm traps." I'm going to assume this is a success, and go ahead and make an arcana check for round 2 since I've got 2 aid bonuses now... and fail it miserably despite the +14 modifier. Sorry guys, here comes the damage. :erm:

"Hmm... yes now that you mention it Raijin dearie, I think there might be some sort of curse here, this hallway certainly gives me the heeby-jeebies. Maybe if I just concentrate really hard I could find a way to- uh, oh!,"
Mab exclaims, just before a wave of psychic energy slams into her.

Arcana, with +4 from aid another x2, +1 from Demon Hunter's Boon, and +1 to checks while on island (1d20+8+4+1+1=18)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Earth leaps ahead and reaches out to help stabilize and catch anyone who comes after him. Very carefully examining the area, Mab finds a small ledge jutting from the wall with sections of it rigged to collapse.

She manages to jam the mechanisms that would drop any who stepped on it into the spiked pit below, but as she turns to give the thumbs up, she triggers a second magical trap. A shrieking apparition launches itself out of a flaring glyph on the wall and tears at Mab, Illarion, and Raijin.

The sorcerers reflexively summon magic wards to repel the conjured phantom, but its misty claws leave black welts on Mab's arm.

GM: Since the whole skill challenge is dealing with traps, the boon bonus applies to all of the checks in it. Aid another is based on your PC's level.

Glyph: 19 Will vs Mab, hit, 14 Will vs Illarion, miss, 13 Will vs Raijin, miss. Mab takes 9 damage.

[sblock=Traps]The group now has a chance to do some looting.

You may eventually try all of the areas below, but pick one at at time to work on.

You can aid another. Anyone who makes a roll in the challenge (normal or aid-another) will be at risk if the total failure trap is set off.

On total failure, the trap is failed and must be retried.

Simple Complete
Reward: Summoned Hide Armor +2(level 6) Devinihm, Amulet of Life +1(level 5) Illarion

Moderate Complete
Reward: 460gp, Bracers of Defense(Level 7) Raijin

Complex
Required Rolls: 1 Perception, 2 Athletics, 1 Acrobatics, 2 Arcana, 2 Thievery checks: DC 20
Success: 8 successes before 3 failures. 2 successes.
Failure: Each failure sets off a trap that only affects the individual rolling(and any players aiding that person): +10 vs Will, 2d6+4 damage. 1 failure.
Total Failure: If 3 failures, everyone participating is caught in a trap: +10 vs Will, 5d6+5 psychic damage, 1/2 damage on a miss.
Reward: 2d6 Level 4 loot parcels.[/sblock]

johnmeier1

Explorer
Raijin holds out his hands to boost up Earth to the next platform.

OOC: Iron Sky, who has acted already this round? I don't think Raijin, Devinihm or Earth have. Here are my records:

Round 1: Earth (Athletics success), Raijin (Arcana aid - next round), Devinihm (Athletics aid - next round), Illarion (Thievery aid), Mab (Thievery success)

Round 2: Illarion (Arcana aid), Mab (Arcana fail), Raijin (Athletics aid)

jkason

First Post
OOC: Since most of what Devinihm can aid for is stuff Earth's better at, I was holding off until he acts this round. If he succeeds on the athletics check, I'd likely aid his next round Perception. If not, I'd be aiding the Athletics re-attempt.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Raijin holds out his hands to boost up Earth to the next platform.

OOC: Iron Sky, who has acted already this round? I don't think Raijin, Devinihm or Earth have. Here are my records:

Round 1: Earth (Athletics success), Raijin (Arcana aid - next round), Devinihm (Athletics aid - next round), Illarion (Thievery aid), Mab (Thievery success)

Round 2: Illarion (Arcana aid), Mab (Arcana fail), Raijin (Athletics aid)

GM: Looks right to me.

Remove ads