• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Importance of Randomness

Dannager

First Post
Except that's not always true - in fact, in some types of campaigns that's seldom true. The main place I use random encounter tables is precisely where I don't know if the encounter would get used.

It's not difficult to craft your encounters in such a way that you can be sure you'll use them. Remember, I believe random encounter tables have their place. I just don't think that place is at the core of an entire game's encounter generation process. Rather, they're something you resort to when you don't have the ability to prepare an encounter ahead of time.

Hassassin

First Post
It's not difficult to craft your encounters in such a way that you can be sure you'll use them.

That very much depends on the campaign. I can imagine sandbox campaigns where almost no encounter you prepare would be one that you'd be sure to use. No way to know which direction the players take it.

Rather, they're something you resort to when you don't have the ability to prepare an encounter ahead of time.

I think creating random encounter tables is a way to prepare encounters ahead of time. When you create such a table thinking about the interactions there, you are essentially laying the ground work for infinite encounters.

We may have very different ideas of what "preparing" entails. I wouldn't want to spend an hour on preparing one encounter. (Although, I've sometimes done it.)

Dannager

First Post
That very much depends on the campaign. I can imagine sandbox campaigns where almost no encounter you prepare would be one that you'd be sure to use.

The trick would be to scale back the sandbox-y-ness, without the players realizing it. Definitely a subject for another thread, though.

I think creating random encounter tables is a way to prepare encounters ahead of time. When you create such a table thinking about the interactions there, you are essentially laying the ground work for infinite encounters.

We may have very different ideas of what "preparing" entails. I wouldn't want to spend an hour on preparing one encounter. (Although, I've sometimes done it.)

An hour probably isn't necessary. But a really solid encounter will probably take at least a half an hour to prepare from scratch (and that's assuming access to productivity tools like the Compendium).

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
That very much depends on the campaign. I can imagine sandbox campaigns where almost no encounter you prepare would be one that you'd be sure to use. No way to know which direction the players take it.

I run what are generally considered to be "sandbox-style" campaigns. I generally create all my random encounters prior to the session taking place. I can do this because 1) players have habits and tendencies, and 2) I am pretty good at "reading" players responses. If I know my players enjoy vampires and my players act excited about exploring the gothic castle, then I can be pretty sure that they are going to go explore the gothic castle.

I know that the gothic castle is five hexes away from the village, and I know generally what route the PCs will take, I know what terrain they will likely cross and how how long it takes to cross it. I know the chances for random encounters as well. I can easily prepare the encounters prior to the game session. Seldom do I generate more than one or two encounters worth of extra material.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Sorry, but it seems Dannager just doesn't get what people are saying. Best reread the thread and your comments on other peoples' ways of doing things. You have gone further than stating your preferred style. Yes, I am one who was offended at how you put things.

Not your points on what you like. I see that, read them a lot and understand your game style. Cool for you. I am NOT going to go through with little boxed quotes...need to learn a little more about forums here for that, but you have certainly stated your viewpoint, we get it.

You have also missed many specific egs people pointed out to you that they have used and enjoyed that experience, but you just keep restating 'well designed' encounters are best, missing points such as sparks of ideas for those well designed encounters.

Anway, Kamikaze Midget, I applaud your approach to this thread (can't XP you), but it seems like we are banging our heads against a wall. I doubt if Monte and co ever saw this thread they would read past the page where it became a 'discussion' about random encounters. Not sure there is much left here...sorry to the OP (not sarcastic, I feel partly responsible for this sidetracking), as I believe he had something good to talk about.

Hassassin

First Post
An hour probably isn't necessary. But a really solid encounter will probably take at least a half an hour to prepare from scratch (and that's assuming access to productivity tools like the Compendium).

Are you talking about encounters in general or combat encounters specifically? (My random encounter tables usually feature all kinds of encounters.)

I don't usually prepare "encounters" for the interaction pillar, but that's where I spend most of my prep time - coming up with NPCs, their personalities and motivations for driving the plot. If you divide that time by the number of realized "encounters" you get a large number.

In exploration, most of my encounters have tie ins with the other two pillars, but pure exploration encounters like a trap or a weather hazard are quickly prepared.

Most combat encounters I prepare are meant to be over in 15 minutes or less of play time. If I just pick some monsters from the MM, choose an interesting terrain feature or other quirk and figure out tactics, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes*. I can obviously spend a lot more time on BBEG encounters.

* And can be done during play, e.g. when the PCs argue over loot.

Hassassin

First Post
I run what are generally considered to be "sandbox-style" campaigns. I generally create all my random encounters prior to the session taking place. I can do this because 1) players have habits and tendencies, and 2) I am pretty good at "reading" players responses. If I know my players enjoy vampires and my players act excited about exploring the gothic castle, then I can be pretty sure that they are going to go explore the gothic castle.

I know that the gothic castle is five hexes away from the village, and I know generally what route the PCs will take, I know what terrain they will likely cross and how how long it takes to cross it. I know the chances for random encounters as well. I can easily prepare the encounters prior to the game session. Seldom do I generate more than one or two encounters worth of extra material.

I agree, that's probably the common case even in sandbox campaigns. However, my players do surprise me, if not every week then once every two or three.

If the previous session ended at the entrance to the Lich's cavern, then I will have a very good idea about what the next session looks like. If they just returned to town with loot and have three or more plot hooks they have agreed to investigate, it's not as easy.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
The only randomness I wouldn't bring back is rolling for HP. It plain sucked.

I personally agree with this, but others don't. In my own houseruled system, I allow both the choice to roll for HP's, and a default average HP progression ala 4E. For my own characters, I prefer the later. But there are people that just love randomness for randomness sake. I think they just have a naturally Chaotic alignment...;)

Last edited:

Alan Shutko

Explorer
When I think of random encounters, the ones that come to mind are from U3. Players in the stronghold could encounter:

• Six warriors and a lieutenant (from area 27). These creatures are proceeding on guard relief towards area 2 and will be encountered only in the passage from area 27 to area 20, in area 20 itself or in any of the passages on level 1. If this encounter is indicated elsewhere in the fortress, treat it as ‘no encounter.’
  • Ten warriors and a lieutenant (from area 29). These creatures are patrolling the fortress and can be en- countered in any passage or connecting area on any of the flooded levels. If this encounter is indicated on level 1, treat it as ‘no encounter.’
  • A 4th level female cleric (from area 34) and a chieftain (from area 23). These two are lovers who are seeking a quiet place to be alone together. They may be encountered anywhere in the fortress, even on the dry level 1 (a good place for peace and quiet, in the circumstances, if they avoid the construction work). To impress and protect his adored one, the chieftain will fight particularly viciously, always gaining first strike initiative even against magically assisted opponents and adding a +2 bonus to each of its ‘to hit’ rolls.
  • Three females (from area 24). These three are on some domestic errand or other in the flooded levels (if an encounter is indicated on level 1, treat as ‘no encounter’). They will attempt to flee from the encounter to the nearest barracks to raise the alarm but if they are unable to flee they will fight to the death.
  • A shark (from area 51).This creature is simply cruising around scavenging for food and will be encountered in a flooded passage. If an encounter on level 1 is indicated, treat as ‘no encounter.’

Whether the PCs encountered them, or where they encountered them, would depend on the dice. It helped give life to the fortress, since the inhabitants are going about their normal business.

Last edited:

Remove ads