• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Jade Frontier (DM: Ukingsken, Judge: Lord Sessadore)

Malanore

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I must also apologize for being very lax in posting lately, I'm out of town, I have very sparing internet access and I'm trying to keep up with the thread, but posting in a fast moving skill challenge hasn't been easy, at the moment it seems were doing quite well though :)[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
[sblock=oc] It's ok everyone, no worries. Like I said the skill challenge can stretch out over a few days game time so no worries. You're all doing great btw. I'm omw home today so I may be incommunicado until tonight.[/sblock]

Fragsie

Explorer
Cheysuli Sage

The old man hadn't been the same since his dear wife passed. After she died, he sold his shop to Bairdon Williams, a man who came from some place called Daunton a few years back. Ever since then he only left his house once a day, passing by his old shop as if checking up on an old friend, before heading into the market and then back. And now with him gone it worries me to think that nasty little beasts might have made it inside the walls. Things were bad enough with them burning some of the outlying farms.

In fact with their strange behaviour I wonder if something more sinister isn't driving them this season. I remember it happened once before when I was a whelp, an ogre magi whipped the kobolds into a frenzy, and they attacked the wall, nearly losing their entire tribe but still throwing themselves recklessly at us until the ogre was defeated by Kiro... I mean Lord Hastesh's father.

But yes, yes if you could let me know whats happened to the old wyrm I would apprciate it. He was like a father to me for many years, taking care of me after my parents died fending off one of the orc encursions 25 years ago.

Sakura smiles rather forlornly, obviously lost in the pain of her memories. Shaking her head, as if trying to dislodge the unpleasant memories, her warm smile reutrns.

I lodge in a backroom here at the Lotus. I'm around most days, except for mornings of holy day when I pray at the chapel. And I had heard that Kaji put you there. I guess I will see you tomorrow, now clear out so my staff can get home to thir brood.

With that said Sakura ushers you and the rest of the group politely out the door, closing it with the solid click of a deadbolt.
Cheysuli makes an effort to remember the names and places that Sakura mentions, all the while with a genuine smile on her face; This woman reminds me of my father, such a commanding presence, yet tempered by an honest soul. But with the mention of an ogre mage, the smile vanishes, and for a moment pure terror looks out from Chey's eyes...

[sblock= IC Flashback]
…There is a seemingly endless roll of thunder, and a bright flash of lightening forks across the small portion of the sky that is visible through the jungle canopy. For an instant; the glistening red-brown skin of a hundred soaking hobgoblin warriors can be seen through the rain, the lightening is reflected off their battered, well-used weapons.

Her father towers above her with his staff outstretched and exhaustion on his face. She tries to stand from the muddy floor, but the sword wounds on her arms hurt so much. “Here, take my hand little one,” her father says, the look of love in his eyes gives her strength, and his arm gives her levy. “They have stopped attacking for some reason, but I doubt we will have to wait long to find out why.”

He forlornly nods toward a burning torch that approaches through the trees, the flickering yellow light paints the scene in an evil light; all around are shattered bits of wood; the remnants of her home, much of it had been built by her own hands.

She spies her spear lying in the wet mud, and runs for it; but, just before her hand closes around its haft, there is a flash of blue flame, and the weapon turns to ice and shatters. Tiny shards of the ice painfully pierce the skin of her hand and arms, by her sob of pain is drowned out by a deep gravely chuckle.
Another flash of lightning streaks across the sky and its face is visible; yellow eyes hungrily bore into hers as the ogre mage steps into the clearing, his grizzled tusks glint in the light from the torch he thrusts above him. A hundred creepy high pitched laughs crawl toward her from the tree line, joining the mages to form a hideous choir…
[/sblock]

Cheysuli quickly composes herself as best she can, not wanting to show the sudden fear that had gripped her, but the memories are too painful to block out. When Sakura mentions closing the tavern Chey quickly makes her goodbyes and rejoins her adventuring group.

Unusually Chey tries to stick to the middle of the group as they walk the streets back to the lodgings, rather than ranging about looking at new things. She keeps her head low and lets the conversation of her peers wash across her thoughts.
[sblock=Bluff Check]Bluff check to keep emotions hidden from Sakura(1d20+11=12)[/sblock]

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
Sakura looks like she wants to say more when she sees the pained look in Cheyeuli's eyes but decided not to say anything in front of her friends, instead placing a hand on her arm before letting her leave.

Rathan

First Post
Patronis leans to the draconic woman behind the bar once more and asks her a polite and simple question...

"Would you happen to know who owns this painting friend dragonkind?.. My friend here and I are very intrigued by it and was wondering if the owner was about to tell us more about it perhaps?" Patronis asks with a simple smile hoping to win her way as he slips her a gold piece for her trouble as he bugs her once more...

ukingsken

First Post
Patronis leans to the draconic woman behind the bar once more and asks her a polite and simple question...

"Would you happen to know who owns this painting friend dragonkind?.. My friend here and I are very intrigued by it and was wondering if the owner was about to tell us more about it perhaps?" Patronis asks with a simple smile hoping to win her way as he slips her a gold piece for her trouble as he bugs her once more...

That has been with the Iron Lotus for many generations, I doubt mistress sakura would part with it. However in the morning I'm sure she would answer your questions. Now please, let us finish up for the night.

Rathan

First Post
Patronis thanks the barmaid kindly and nods to Brenwar softly and head swings him to let him know it's time to go.... once outside the inn he looks about and then speaks to Brenwar once he exits... "Shall we spilt up now?... Or find the others and split up from there to explore?"

Rapida

First Post
"I think it would be wise to share this information with the party and see what they learned. Then perhaps we can come up with a plan from there."

[sblock]
I'm just going to sort of assume we catch up with the group barring some random happenings
[/sblock]

rumleech

Explorer
(Providing we make it back to the billet without incident.) Mr Bricks looks around his new friends, "We have to think about if we need to scout round the town tonight and if so how we're going to do it and what we hope to gain out of it."

Remove ads