• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mésalliance. Part 2. (Updated 11/28)

Baron Opal

First Post
[Symbol] = Faces.

[Mostin] (Pointing mentally at Kostchtchie): His face (and then at the dragons), their faces.

With a gusto which surprised Mostin, the Horror launched itself from the gate towards their enemies.

There had to be a catch, Mostin knew. There was always a catch. It was never that easy.

OK, somewhere in my world there is a most disturbing item. A frame of adamant, roughly circular, 5 feet across. Stretched across it like some demented dreamcatcher is the skin from some massive humanoid creature. What is the most disturbing thing about it is not that the face is about four feet wide, or that the leather is contorted in obvious pain. It is, rather, that if you catch the stretched leather just right in a breeze you can hear a faint moaning as the wind passes through the holes in the face.

Perhaps, just perhaps, words can be distinguished if you put your ear close enough to the ragged hole that used to be a mouth if the wind is strong enough. Be careful, though.

Don't let it fall on you...

Dang, dang, dang! I swore I'd pace myself. Read it slowly. Poof! Gone in an instant. Well, here's hoping for another update before Easter*.... :)

* Just a little jab. We love ya' Sep.

Vuron

First Post
Interesting update I guess that with Nwm's new understanding he'll become more of a factor in the coming storyline as his duties to the Green now extend further outward.

I also wonder if other forces are going to act to counter the rapidly escalating imbalance of power that this crusade is incurring. Orcus seems content to be an opportunist but I wonder if Demogorgon has turned his malevolent gaze towards the action yet.

Felix

Explorer
You know, you almost feel bad for Kostchtchie and those dragons.

We don't know what's going to happen to them, only that it has something to do with their face, and them not keeping it. It's not like anyone really wants to live in the Ice Wastes... Kostchtchie was squatting in otherwise unoccupied and unclaimed property.

And soon he'll be minus a face.

And I assume his soul will be digested slowly over a thousand years as he learns a new meaning of pain and suffering. Poor fella.

Wicked cool update. :D

Vuron

First Post
While I would say the Horror probably has the ability to win vs Kostotchie and Wyrms I would by no means think it's a certain deal. The horror's critical weakness is that it's got relatively crappy hitpoints and Kostotchie not to mention abyssal wyrms are close combat monstrosities that really don't need spells or spell-like abilities to chew through those hitpoints. With that hammer of his Kostotchie could in theory slay the Horror with a critical (DC 40 Fort save vs Fort +23 is decidedly in Kostotchie's favor). In addition the Breath Weapons of the wyrms are liable to quickly wear down the Horror. I'm not saying it's a sure thing but if they get in close with the monstrosity they will pound it into the ground unless Mostin & Co provide some cover-fire.

If you look back at an early episode Eadric showed the inherent weaknesses of the Ultraloth daemon vs combat machines. Think of Kostochie as a really potent version of Eadric in this regard.

Granted I suspect that the Horror will be triumphant if only because making Mostin pay the price makes for better storytelling ;)

fafhrd

First Post
It would be unfortunate if Kostchtchie starts to rage, the Horror fails its Will save and runs away, but looking at the numbers it looks likely. You'd think pseudonaturals would be immune to fear.

Vuron

First Post
Hrmm I had forgotten about Kostotchie's Terrifying Rage which given his hefty Intimidate score pretty much makes him somewhat likely to send the Horror and possibly Ortwin and Mostin packing unless they are immune to fear from some buffing spells as thier will saves are nowhere near adequate to handle that. Of course the Horror could be immune to fear effects based on the wackiness of the Far Realm but from a strict reading of the Rogues Gallery Kostotchie is quite likely to rout a good percentage of his opponents as soon as he rages.

Remove ads