• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mésalliance. Part 2. (Updated 11/28)

Vuron

First Post
fafhrd said:
We can pray that a very liberal treatment of Mindblank and distance will keep the PCs in the game.

Indeed that's a pretty liberal reading of Mindblank but as to distance it seems that Kostotchie's area of effect is limited by sight. Whether that is somewhat limited like a dragon or the tarrasque's frightful presence would need clarification. Personally a range of 300 ft is likely adequate.

Of course assuming that mindblank has that liberal of a reading makes one wonder why there isn't a hefty directed epic spell that cancels mindblank across a huge area (say a demiplane ;))

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:
AFQITHAN - Part Two

Mostin anticipated that Kostchtchie would attempt to teleport into the vacant saddle. He opened a gate.

Koilimilou – a sidhe-cambion seldom prone to uncontrollable outbursts – screamed. The pseudonatural Horror – simultaneously both a daemon, and a writhing thing possessed of appendages with an unknown purpose – slid through the portal.

[Symbol] = Faces.

[Mostin] (Pointing mentally at Kostchtchie): His face (and then at the dragons), their faces.

With a gusto which surprised Mostin, the Horror launched itself from the gate towards their enemies.

There had to be a catch, Mostin knew. There was always a catch. It was never that easy.

I bet there is a catch. Not having seen the thing's stats, here's my guess: the Horror's mind is an amalgam of its own and all those it has ever eaten/absorbed. If it eats Kostchtchie it will partly become Kostchtchie and then will go after Mostin and crew. Other speculation?

Rackhir

Explorer
A couple of points about The Horror vs Kostotchie. The Horror has init +23, Kostochie is only about +9? So The Horror will likely go first, an important point given the horrific damage that these epic level combatants can dish out. Second, The Horror's AC is 68 vs Kostotchie's best attack of +50 and The Horror's SR of 90 vs Kototchie's Caster level of 35. Given that The Horror is +48 vs Kostotchie's AC of only +35 and The Horror's Caster level is 25-26 vs Kototchie's SR of 35, Kototchie is pretty helpless against The Horror, except for if he Rages, as that does get him up to +54 for best attack (still not great) and there is the panic effect.

Anyone have stats on the Wyrm?

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It would be strange if the Horror were panicked by Kostchie, but there is no indication that it has immunity to fear. Even if it didn't panic, the Horror has poor resistance to cold; if Kostchie commands a few white wyrms to breathe on him, the Horror could be in trouble. Kostchie, of course, is immune to cold.

Finally, there is a very powerful varangoin wizard around who can, I imagine, use wishes to heal Kostchie- this will give the demon breathing space for the Horror to be destroyed. It may even be able to teleport his master out of the Horror's grapple.

I imagine the heroes will have their hands full ensuring that the Horror is given enough time to kill Kostchie.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
[Undisputed World Championship Heavyweight Best Story Hour Writer Title Holder Sepulchrave II posts two updates to the Undisputed World Championship Heavyweight Best Story Hour]

[Warrior Poet reads updates]

[Warrior Poet faints dead away]

P.S. Thanks. I've run out of ways to praise, and ways to thank, so I'm left with the mundane stuff.

dream66_

First Post
I reread the section where Neheal walked up like 3 times. I was smiling and almost crying, it made me so happy to see her again. Maybe I'm becoming too invested in these characters but since i've been reading this for years now, I think I have a right to be.

Amazing update so so much going on, Neheal back, WOW! I missed her. Mostin playing with things he really really shouldn't. I'm just afraid to see what will happen when Neheal meets Eadrics new girlfreind.

DestyNova

First Post
Re: Horrer vs. Kostchie

Mostin did ponder this when whe considered sending The Horrer after Grzzt(sp) The Horrer works best with supporting characters.

Thorntangle

First Post
Sublime and exquisite. Thanks for the update.

I've said it before and I'll reiterate - you've got skills and need to take them to a broader market.

Remove ads