• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Also:

1605892546959.png

Zardnaar

Legend
I was thinking dark troopers as well. They're robots though.

Could just be super clones 2.0. Recycle Thrawns idea from legends. Or that guy who tried cloning force sensitives en masse.

Hydian way and Corellian run are back.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Was a nice filler episode, until it took a sudden turn to long awaited exposition, and yet another cliff hanger with us asking for more explanations.

Just a side note, I've liked most of the action scenes in this show so far, but I really did not find the first few in this episode engaging or interesting. It was kind of "Oh, look. Those stormtroopers/aliens have even worse aim than previous ones. Can't wait to see how the characters kill them this time."

Besides that, I liked the episode.

I've got to say, the effects in this show look amazing, especially this season. I'm really enjoying the action in the latest couple of episodes (3 and 4). The plotting of the show is still a bit weak, but at least there is more plotting going on this season. Lots of fan service too, but of the good kind. Also, is there any hand to hand fight in which Gina Carano isn't a total bad ass?

I like how season 2 has opened things up and embraced a lot of established lore from other SW shows and movies. In episode 4 there is further mention of the Maelstrom at Kessel (first shown in the Han Solo movie), and now we're even seeing characters from the cartoon in life action form. Can't wait to see what they do with Asoka.

I loved the chase with the speeder bikes, it looked amazing. The shootout in the base was a bit messy the way it was choreographed and edited. It unintensionally revealed that they had just one small corridor set, by having the actors run through it several times in a row. However, the establishing shots of the planet and lava flows look outstanding. I also loved that they brought the trooper transport back and used it in the climactic ending of the episode.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Was a nice filler episode, until it took a sudden turn to long awaited exposition, and yet another cliff hanger with us asking for more explanations.

Just a side note, I've liked most of the action scenes in this show so far, but I really did not find the first few in this episode engaging or interesting. It was kind of "Oh, look. Those stormtroopers/aliens have even worse aim than previous ones. Can't wait to see how the characters kill them this time."

Besides that, I liked the episode.
The base invasion had a very 'stock' feel to it, with lots of trooper dialogue very deliberately lifted from classic scenes. It almost felt like it could have been cut together entirely from stock footage from the first three movies. I do enjoy a call-back, but they maybe went a little overboard this time.

Also, they teased us with "lava tide" but it never made it on-screen.

Also, they teased us with "lava tide" but it never made it on-screen.
This is a thing that I also picked up on, and it is not the first time an episode of the Mandalorian does this. It doesn't seem deliberate misdirection, but a case of sloppy writing. As if part of the episode was rewritten, but references to an old idea were left in. Was there originally a bigger lava scene planned? Did they simply change their mind on it, or was it simply too difficult, expensive or time consuming to do?

I don't think the lava flow is getting any follow up in a later episode, since this story seems pretty much concluded. The action scene it ended on was a fine way to close the episode, but it is weird how this plot point was left mostly unused. When a show clearly sets something up, you expect a pay off. In the end we did get an exploding base, but that is all the involvement of the lava we got. The episode really hinted that the entire canyon was going to fill with lava and that the destruction wouldn't just be limited to the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads