• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
How do I keep forgetting that Ahsoka has white lightsabers?

Not only white, but the curved hilts from after she abandoned the Jedi (after they abandoned her). Ahsoka's curved hilts were one of the most subtle but key aspects of her path. They had only ever been seen in the hands of Sith (or at least fallen Jedi) and she chose to use that design after leaving the Jedi.

My only gripe is that she is now wielding two full blades and not a blade with an off-hand shoto.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I'm just going to come out and say it...

The only people with any business writing for or directing Star Wars are Jon Favreau, Taika Waititi, and Dave Filoni.

That episode was pure Yojimbo - fitting, given how Star Wars lifted liberally from The Hidden Fortress. As wonderful as it was to get sneek peeks at future Big Bads, seeing the return of Ahsoka (possibly the best SW character who wasn't in the Original Trilogy) and just how well the production crew understands the visual language of cinema pleased me to no end.

Filoni has been doing this long enough to know how to use shorthand. One shot - a several seconds-long wide shot of Ahsoka and the Magistrate in the courtyard with the reflecting pool - spoke volumes. It was an homage to every single kung fu film ever. And then cut that with Mando facing down Kyle Reese the Gunslinger in a parallel cut. It was an expertly cut blend of East and West.

Visually, the dismal sight of Corvus reminded me of one of the few good shots in Phantom Menace, when the Gungans were plodding along on their mounts out of the mists of the Gungan swamps. Other subtle nods such as the architecture hearkening back to pagodas of feudal Japan really sold me on this episode.

Want my money? It's really simple. Edit Season 1 into a 3 hour movie. I'll happily pay $20 a pop to see it in the theatres. Do the same with this season. And I'll pay another $20 to see that too.

Because the folks making The Mandalorian understand Star Wars in a way that so one except George Lucas until 1980 understands it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The villain in this episode had a couple of HK-57 assassin droids. Been a few thousand years since HK-47 but the manufacturers have only had 10 iterations since. Considering phone companies, you'd almost think that they'd have HK-5001 by now.

HorusArisen

Explorer
The villain in this episode had a couple of HK-57 assassin droids. Been a few thousand years since HK-47 but the manufacturers have only had 10 iterations since. Considering phone companies, you'd almost think that they'd have HK-5001 by now.

HK-87

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They said HK-87? I heard 57, either way, not much in the way of innovation. Maybe they realised their assassin droids were already as good as they could be so they just released a few newer models with better cameras.
Or maybe they don’t use that model number scheme. They might have followed the Terminator scheme (ignore the sequels past 2). Or there are .1 or even .01 iterations. Or those two droids were antiques.

Zardnaar

Legend
HK-47 isn't canon anymore but they're drawing heavily on legends at this point.

They've recanonized some of that stuff from back then to apparently but I can't remember the details as it was I sonebook.

Revans back in camo but they might change the details like Thrawn.

The new Thrawn is basically the same as old Thrawn. If he's tied into Gideon's schemes makes sense. Thrawns always been more into quality while Emperor's more over the top superweapons.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm just going to come out and say it...

The only people with any business writing for or directing Star Wars are Jon Favreau, Taika Waititi, and Dave Filoni.

That episode was pure Yojimbo - fitting, given how Star Wars lifted liberally from The Hidden Fortress. As wonderful as it was to get sneek peeks at future Big Bads, seeing the return of Ahsoka (possibly the best SW character who wasn't in the Original Trilogy) and just how well the production crew understands the visual language of cinema pleased me to no end.

Filoni has been doing this long enough to know how to use shorthand. One shot - a several seconds-long wide shot of Ahsoka and the Magistrate in the courtyard with the reflecting pool - spoke volumes. It was an homage to every single kung fu film ever. And then cut that with Mando facing down Kyle Reese the Gunslinger in a parallel cut. It was an expertly cut blend of East and West.

Visually, the dismal sight of Corvus reminded me of one of the few good shots in Phantom Menace, when the Gungans were plodding along on their mounts out of the mists of the Gungan swamps. Other subtle nods such as the architecture hearkening back to pagodas of feudal Japan really sold me on this episode.

Want my money? It's really simple. Edit Season 1 into a 3 hour movie. I'll happily pay $20 a pop to see it in the theatres. Do the same with this season. And I'll pay another $20 to see that too.

Because the folks making The Mandalorian understand Star Wars in a way that so one except George Lucas until 1980 understands it.

I think others can direct but those 3 probably need to do the storyboarding at least if not the writing.

They get the balance right between subtle fan service and recycling stuff just because.

Outside the OT I guess Ahsoka and Thrawn would likely be the most popular characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads