• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The March D&D Book Will Be Announced Next Tuesday

As has become standard these days, the upcoming D&D book has appeared -- in an anonymous, secretive guise -- on various bookstores in advance of an announcement. In this case, Amazon, Penguin Random House, and Barnes & Noble, all of whom confirm that the book will be announced next Tuesday on January 12th, and released on March 16th. The book will cost $49.99. B&N has its dimensions as being...

As has become standard these days, the upcoming D&D book has appeared -- in an anonymous, secretive guise -- on various bookstores in advance of an announcement. In this case, Amazon, Penguin Random House, and Barnes & Noble, all of whom confirm that the book will be announced next Tuesday on January 12th, and released on March 16th.

The book will cost $49.99. B&N has its dimensions as being 6.5 x 9.5 inches, which is smaller than a standard D&D hardcover (but that information could just be a placeholder). B&N also indicates that the authors are Peter Lee and Rodney Thompson, but they also say that for Tasha's Cauldron and other WotC books, so that also looks like it's just their boilerplate for WotC. There's also an ISBN number: 978-0786967223.

This is almost an exact mirror of this time last year, almost down to the dates (last year it appeared on stores on Jan 6th, was announced as Explorer's Guide to Wildemount on Jan 9th, and released March 17th).

There's been plenty of speculation recently. Last year WotC said that three classic settings were getting active attention, and that the coming years would have a greater emphasis on settings, as well as more anthologies and Magic: The Gathering collaborations. And, of course, WotC has recently been involved in a Dragonlance lawsuit, which was voluntarily dismissed in December with Margaret Weis tweeting that there was exciting news in the weeks to come.

soon.jpg

Daemini

Explorer
Prediction 1:
I have a strong feeling it will be another M:TG setting book. DnD and M:TG are having a cross over this year with M:TG releasing its 2021 core set as Forgotten Realms themed.

Prediction 2:
Dark Sun related. With all the UA psionic stuff, I think this might be possible. Player Options/Setting/MM book.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I’d love a new compilation of stand alone adventures, but specifically for level 11-15 and higher. All the big campaign books seem to end around this level, it would be nice to have some options to continue on with.
The challenge, I think, would be that, by that level, campaigns are pretty focused. Something modular at level 11 would almost have to be planar, since by that point, campaigns have likely seen a fair amount of their game world and spent a lot of time interacting with it. It's not a time to say "oh, by the way, over that hill is a whole army of giants and dragons and a lich empress you've never heard about."

If it was a M:tG world then the candidates would be Innistrad or Eldraine, but it also can be the new viking setting, Kaldheim or what-its-name.

In reddit I read something about a new Dragonlance novel in July, this year.

A module about an alien ship (Star Frontier) crashed? Possible, but that high-tech could break the power balance, my main worry about the d20 system. I wonder about a planar invasion, or visit, from Gamma World.

Idea for a module: Ruins of an ancient and lost civilitation is found in the elemental chaos, and PCs are hired by one of the factions from Planescape, and when they arrive the zone becomes the battlefield among new vistors, factions from Spelljammer, and even lovecraftian cults want to use a ritual to open a portal to the far realm. This can cause the elemental evil to be "broken into shards" and Vecna want to steal these shards to get their power.

And we have forgotten it may be a completely new adventures module without link at all with previous titles.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Like "Guildmasters' Guide To Ravnica"?
Yep, exactly.

What I want though is Dead Gods from 2e Planescape, with the Great Modron March as episodic adventures across the planes for Adventurer's League.

But, alas: I believe that Magic: The Gathering has taken the cake, as it were.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Prediction 1:
I have a strong feeling it will be another M:TG setting book. DnD and M:TG are having a cross over this year with M:TG releasing its 2021 core set as Forgotten Realms themed.

Prediction 2:
Dark Sun related. With all the UA psionic stuff, I think this might be possible. Player Options/Setting/MM book.

If it was a M:tG world then the candidates would be Innistrad or Eldraine, but it also can be the new viking setting, Kaldheim or what-its-name.

In reddit I read something about a new Dragonlance novel in July, this year.

A module about an alien ship (Star Frontier) crashed? Possible, but that high-tech could break the power balance, my main worry about the d20 system. I wonder about a planar invasion, or visit, from Gamma World.

Idea for a module: Ruins of an ancient and lost civilitation is found in the elemental chaos, and PCs are hired by one of the factions from Planescape, and when they arrive the zone becomes the battlefield among new vistors, factions from Spelljammer, and even lovecraftian cults want to use a ritual to open a portal to the far realm. This can cause the elemental evil to be "broken into shards" and Vecna want to steal these shards to get their power.

And we have forgotten it may be a completely new adventures module without link at all with previous titles.

I hadn't thought of an MTG setting. If it is, I would be hoping for Zendikar. I made an homebrew setting about two years ago that was very inspired by it. I also know they did a little pamphlet sized PDF a while ago. I could see them building on that. It could also be a good opportunity to draw on the Environmental Hazard rules of Tasha's and maybe flesh out some Exploration mechanics.

---

EDIT: I found this on Reddit. Food for thoughts.
1610136313231.png

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Wasn't Kate Welch's adventure anthology in the can before she left?

We don't know if it was in the can complete, but I watched on of the streams of 2021 (the latter one I think) and on the D&D staff mentioned they were making a product with several writers from the DMsGuild and other sources, so I assume that this product is coming 2021.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We don't know if it was in the can complete, but I watched on of the streams of 2021 (the latter one I think) and on the D&D staff mentioned they were making a product with several writers from the DMsGuild and other sources, so I assume that this product is coming 2021.
Rime of the Frostmaiden is written by a bunch of DMs Guild superstars. Is it possible they were referring to that?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Rime of the Frostmaiden is written by a bunch of DMs Guild superstars. Is it possible they were referring to that?

No, by this stream (they did two big streams in 2021, this was the latter one) Rime was already released, and they were speaking about future products. They didn't announce anything new, but they spoke about this product that seemed to reference the Welch book, plus they said they were working on bringing legacy D&D settings and entirely new ones into future books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads