• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"The Marvels" - Teaser

I'm just curious, but what did you see that made it incomprehensible and/or dull?

I'm barely familiar with the characters and I'm not invested in any of them, and I found the trailer appealing. It looks far better than the movies that have recently been put out by Marvel.
What I saw in the trailer was:

There's some kind of a space station.

There's some kind of explosion I think, and a person in a space suit is now yammering excitedly through the windows of the space station at the guy.

Captain Marvel is in a place, looking around.

Something something forgettable. Context-free dialogue between characters I don't know but I still don't know why I should care.

A girl says they're now a team, and two other people roll their eyes.

That's it. It was like seeing a trailer for a comedy with only one moderately amusing moment at the very end (the team thing). I came out of it with the impression that this movie was going to be some kind of reluctant-team-up, maybe a buddy-cop sort of deal, but not one with enough humor to reach me. There was probably stuff that was INTENDED to be funny in the yammering at the space station and the forgettable dialogue, but it didn't seem like it at the time. There are unfunny comedies out there and this looked like one of them.

Would it be useful if I went back and watched the trailer multiple times, or is that first impression enough to satisfy your curiosity?

P.S. Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer 1 () was okay, but Trailer 2 () was fantastic. Supplies context, sets mood and tone, good music throughout, good pacing, funny dialogue. Trailer 1 had some funny spots and some dead spots whereas trailer 2 packed maybe 3x as much funny into each minute.

Last edited:

Seemed like a perfectly good trailer to me.
I went back and rewatched it after reading up a little bit about the movie, and at least now I can spot some things that are intended to be funny, like the "I can show you"/"Don't!" bit. This trailer would be better for a movie titled "The Marvels: Quantum Entanglement", or if it had some dialogue in the first few seconds explaining the premise. See above links to Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer 1 vs. Trailer 2. If you think Trailer 2 is better, maybe you'll understand what the The Marvels trailer is missing. If you think Trailer 1 is just as good, then we simply have different tastes I guess.

Ryujin

Legend
I went back and rewatched it after reading up a little bit about the movie, and at least now I can spot some things that are intended to be funny, like the "I can show you"/"Don't!" bit. This trailer would be better for a movie titled "The Marvels: Quantum Entanglement", or if it had some dialogue in the first few seconds explaining the premise. See above links to Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer 1 vs. Trailer 2. If you think Trailer 2 is better, maybe you'll understand what the The Marvels trailer is missing. If you think Trailer 1 is just as good, then we simply have different tastes I guess.
I think that what it's mostly missing, for you, is context.

That's a pretty terrible argument if the reason it's getting so much negative attention has nothing to do with its quality.
Not solely to do with its quality, but The Last Jedi got more hate than Rogue One why? Because it was a worse movie. And The Rise of Skywalker was so bad that even people who wanted to like it found they... didn't.

Make something good and it'll be tough to criticize. Make something awful and it won't.

the west wing Alison Janney GIF

Remove ads