"The Marvels" - Teaser

OK. I wasn't saying what you disliked about Quantumania. Go back and look at the reviews and audience comments from the time it was released: The CGI was a consistent complaint.
The writing was a much bigger complaint.

"A plot so entirely predictable and generic that it feels like it was written by an overworked AI, basically consisting of a series of tired and played-out tropes that have been done a million times before; lame attempts at quippy jokes and visual gags that are jarringly at odds with what's actually happening; headache inducing visuals that are so obnoxiously overdone you can barely even process what you're seeing; and an ending that effectively puts everything back exactly as it was before so that there's absolutely no weight or consequence to anything you just saw."

To the extent that CG is even mentioned, it's a negative, but clearly even top-shelf CG wasn't going to save this movie. That's not an argument in favor of spending $200+ million on CGI. Better writing, less CG would be more profitable.

Vael

Legend
Quantumania was the only major miss for me, everything has been at least decent to good in this phase.

As for The Marvels ... I really liked it, probably in the upper echelon of post-Endgame MCU. Solid characters, a fun story, and it kinda breezed by, didn't feel overly long.

pukunui

Legend
Just took the girls to see this. My almost 18 yo thought it was one of the best movies of this year.

I enjoyed it. I'll agree that it could've been longer and given us more time with various characters, including the villain. I didn't think she was bad as such. She had solid motivation to do what she was doing. We just didn't get enough time with her, I think.

It was cool to see Ms Marvel approach Kate Bishop (and in a way that called back to Yelena in Hawkeye).

And in the stinger - was that version of Monica's mom still a Captain Marvel like in Dr Strange 2, or is she meant to be Storm or someone like that? I note that she has both quantum bands, so I'm guessing that's how Monica will get back to her own universe, perhaps bringing some (or all) of the X-Men with her.

I note that while Monica resisted being given a code name in the movie, she's called "Photon" on all the toys and such.

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
And in the stinger - was that version of Monica's mom still a Captain Marvel like in Dr Strange 2, or is she meant to be Storm or someone like that?
She is referred to as Binary, which is a name that Carol Danvers took in the comics after she gained cosmic star-based (IIRC) powers. This was after she was Ms Marvel but before she became Captain Marvel. It's a convoluted story.... Carol took decades in the comics to get to the Captain Marvel mantle. I think this indicates this Monica is a different alternate Captain Marvel who has followed that complicated path to become Binary.
I note that she has both quantum bands, so I'm guessing that's how Monica will get back to her own universe, perhaps bringing some (or all) of the X-Men with her.
My guess is the end of the Multiverse Saga will see the multiverse collapse into a single, combined timeline. This way the MCU can have the X-Men and the Avengers in the same universe.

The writing was a much bigger complaint.

"A plot so entirely predictable and generic that it feels like it was written by an overworked AI, basically consisting of a series of tired and played-out tropes that have been done a million times before; lame attempts at quippy jokes and visual gags that are jarringly at odds with what's actually happening; headache inducing visuals that are so obnoxiously overdone you can barely even process what you're seeing; and an ending that effectively puts everything back exactly as it was before so that there's absolutely no weight or consequence to anything you just saw."

To the extent that CG is even mentioned, it's a negative, but clearly even top-shelf CG wasn't going to save this movie. That's not an argument in favor of spending $200+ million on CGI. Better writing, less CG would be more profitable.

I
She is referred to as Binary, which is a name that Carol Danvers took in the comics after she gained cosmic star-based (IIRC) powers. This was after she was Ms Marvel but before she became Captain Marvel. It's a convoluted story.... Carol took decades in the comics to get to the Captain Marvel mantle. I think this indicates this Monica is a different alternate Captain Marvel who has followed that complicated path to become Binary.

My guess is the end of the Multiverse Saga will see the multiverse collapse into a single, combined timeline. This way the MCU can have the X-Men and the Avengers in the same universe.

Where does that leave the Spiderverse now that they are connected?

I suspect that thanks to the Marvel & Sony shared custody agreement of the Marvel Multiverse they can't collapse the multiverse into one universe.

What they could do is collapse a section of it into one of Universe, a select group of Universes into one, but I don't see them destroying everything Sony built, maybe a couple of Sony's universes if they are okay with that and they want to move some specific Spiderman characters to the main MCU world.

pukunui

Legend
I suspect that the X-Men will join the main MCU universe sooner than that. The Deadpool movie series is part of the X-Men franchise, and Deadpool 3, which we know has Wolverine in it, is also going to be part of Phase 5 of the MCU. I highly doubt they will put Monica’s return to her own universe in a Deadpool movie, so it’s possible the movie will take place wholly in another part of the multiverse, but you never know!

Remove ads