"The Marvels" - Teaser

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Looks like Marvel Studios is not so lucky this time. The Marvels is on track to lose hundreds of millions of dollars. They spent way too much money making and marketing it.
Well, sort of. The SAG-AFTRA strike prevented the most effective marketing they could have gotten: The stars walking the red carpet, doing interviews and other promotion. They got none of that this time.

Well, sort of. The SAG-AFTRA strike prevented the most effective marketing they could have gotten: The stars walking the red carpet, doing interviews and other promotion. They got none of that this time.
What they did get though is a release window with absolutely no competition due to the strikes. There's so little in theaters that I even considered going to see The Marvels just for something to do.

If they'd made a $40 million movie instead of a $274 million movie they'd be profitable real soon now.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If they'd made a $40 million movie instead of a $274 million movie they'd be profitable real soon now.
I'm not sure they could tell an outer space superhero adventure with these particular characters and their CGI-based powers for that. Effects that viewers tolerate on Generation V or The Boys wouldn't fly with people sitting in a movie theater, seeing the special effects much more clearly.

Maybe they could have made a Daredevil movie for that kind of money, but if one of those is happening, it's a long way off, since they're setting up Kang and Secret Wars and that means keeping all the cosmic superheroes in play.

Zardnaar

Legend

I think tgat was a contributing factor to the new record low.

But not the overall trajectory. 2023 has been brutal in super hero films, MCUs been in decline for a while.

None of that would have saved this movie.

Brie Larson is generally not well liked, although she's improved over time.

Imam is adorable, but couldn't get good ratings for her own show Mrs. Marvel (shame I liked it and I find her delightful).

Not familiar with the third actress as I never watched Wandavision.

More press for movie would have done nothing, because we all know its there already.

The main characters were never popular Marvel comics characters, Captain Marvel 1 rode the coattails of phase 3 Marvel.

They needed a solid villain then to pump excitement up, the villain should have been Rogue as sent by Magento, who would take out Captain Marvel at the end, leaving her empty husk, but driving herself insane in the process. That sets up Rogue for the transition later on to hero.

I'd have made it rated R as well with a Spiderman camoe, make it a much darker movie.

Remove ads