• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Monk isn't MAD... he's ENRAGED!!!!

Dandu

First Post
First level spell slot for Mage Armor. Sixth level spell slot for Contingency, and the accompanying spell to be cast days in advance. Three ninth level spell slot for either Shapechangge (one of the forms that grants immunity to being flatfooted) or Foresight (which does the same). An Orange Ioun Stone (30,000 gp) and a Bead of Karma (20,000 gp) for a +5 caster level boost. A Greater Metamatic Rod of Extend Spell (24,500 )for whichever 9th level spell you chose to make it last 8.33 hours at CL 25.

Oh no, a backdooring solution with a specific build to overcome a specific challenge!

These are not hard to acquire at high levels. Whether the mage in question has the brains to do so, on the other hand, is an open question.

Empath Negative

First Post
First level spell slot for Mage Armor. Sixth level spell slot for Contingency, and the accompanying spell to be cast days in advance. Three ninth level spell slot for either Shapechangge (one of the forms that grants immunity to being flatfooted) or Foresight (which does the same). An Orange Ioun Stone (30,000 gp) and a Bead of Karma (20,000 gp) for a +5 caster level boost. A Greater Metamatic Rod of Extend Spell (24,500 )for whichever 9th level spell you chose to make it last 8.33 hours at CL 25.

Oh no, a backdooring solution with a specific build to overcome a specific challenge!

These are not hard to acquire at high levels. Whether the mage in question has the brains to do so, on the other hand, is an open question.

The 8th level Wizard in question is asleep. Like they are... almost every night. He went to sleep at 10:00pm, it's currently midnight and the Monk is standing next to him, thanks to being especially sneaky (stealthiness is a part of their class, after all).

I'm curious how the Wizard gets out of this one...

Zelc

First Post
The 8th level Wizard in question is asleep. Like they are... almost every night. He went to sleep at 10:00pm, it's currently midnight and the Monk is standing next to him, thanks to being especially sneaky (stealthiness is a part of their class, after all).

I'm curious how the Wizard gets out of this one...
This is a pretty bad scenario because most classes would be in trouble in the Wizard's position, and most classes would get the job done in the Monk's position. An 8th level Wizard can easily kill a sleeping character (Scry then Dimension Door in with a summoned monster for the CDG, for example).

Ironically, the Wizard is probably best equipped to deal with this situation. Alarm is a 1st level spell and is fairly standard. Rope Trick, like Dandu said, is a 2nd level spell and also standard for adventurers. If need be, Arcane Lock is a 2nd level (although the material component will add up over time), and Secure Shelter is a 4th level spell.

Dandu

First Post
Establish the procedure by which the monk enters into the extradimensional space created by the Rope Trick. Saying that he gets into it be "being sneaky" makes as much sense as simply saying the wizard wins due to "tactical genius" without any further explaination.

Last edited:

Empath Negative

First Post
Establish the procedure by which the monk enters into the extradimensional space created by the Rope Trick. Saying that he gets into it be "being sneaky" makes as much sense as simply saying the wizard wins due to "tactical genius" without any further explaination.

Is there some rule by which one cannot sneak up a rope?

Is there some rule whereby one cannot sneak into an extradimensional space?

Is it possible to follow someone up a rope stealthily? If not... why not?

So far as I know a monk sneaking up a rope behind a wizard isn't exactly hard to do. The monk has class skills in climb, move silently, and hide. The wizard is unlikely yo have skills in spot, listen, etc... and isn't especially likely to have a high wisdom score.

You assume access to every item, spell, and feat in every book ever written is available to the character...

But call BS when I tell you a monk climbed up a rope.

VariSami

First Post
You do realize this has become a kindergarten argument about whether or not Monk beats Wizard? Also, the arguments on the side of the monk are looking worse by the second. Wizards cannot bend the rules but they have access to a very special set of rules that makes them very hard to beat in this game. It is possible. Nothing impossible if your DM happens to allow it. It's just that the Wizard has access to resources which make it extremely hard to reach him and access the optimal situation for a monk. If the monk succeeds in this then yes, it is possible for him to kill the wizard. Like it would be for anyone, as has been pointed out.

Oh, damn it. I suppose I just joined the discussion I was supposed to critique.

But really now: when did we start discussing level 8 Wizards when the original post was to highlight a level 20 monk? While a Wizard is comparably weaker at that level, so is the damn monk. He's no superhero. And at level 20, he stands no chance against the Wizard. None at all. Zero. Nada. Because at that point a well-built Wizard can do almost whatever he pleases.

Edit: Oh, and I checked Rope Trick. I was under the impression that it is impossible to access from the outside when the rope has been pulled in. Turns out that this was not explicitly stated. However, a monk of that level cannot possibly hope to be able to detect the extradimensional space. Therefore he cannot access it, ruling out sheer and pure luck (and some help from the DM).

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Is there some rule by which one cannot sneak up a rope?
Of course you can.

Is there some rule whereby one cannot sneak into an extradimensional space?
Of course you can't.

So far as I know a monk sneaking up a rope behind a wizard isn't exactly hard to do. The monk has class skills in climb, move silently, and hide. The wizard is unlikely yo have skills in spot, listen, etc... and isn't especially likely to have a high wisdom score.
You really should read the Rope Trick spell. You might notice that it says that someone can pull the rope up behind them so there's no rope for the monk to climb silently up.

You assume access to every item, spell, and feat in every book ever written is available to the character...
Interesting note, everything I have mentioned so far is in the PHB. But don't let the facts get in the way of you being angry.

But call BS when I tell you a monk climbed up a rope.
Your monk isn't climbing up a rope. He's somehow getting into an extradimensional space without a rope to climb on. Without any explanation as to how it happens.

Last edited:

Remove ads