• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Monk isn't MAD... he's ENRAGED!!!!

Antimagic Torc in Underdark, p.73. Cast Antimagic Field 1/day as a caster level 11 for 25,000gp

Bear in mind the monk is faster than the wizard, and the wizard then needs a counter to this.

If the wizard in return has a counter to antimagic field such as a giant hat with shrink item permenencied on it, the wizard will win, if the wizard has a solution to antimagic field they will win, if not the monk will win.

However, almost any PC should be able to beat a wizard with this item.

Almost any standard wizard, by the time they get level 2 spells, should be able to beat a monk. On the other hand, monks are probably slightly better mage fighters than other combat classes.

Edit: Also if I where a monk trying to kill a wizard, I would use the ethereal ability to sneak up on the wizard, then attack them while they are vulnerable, provided a good hit strikes the wizard, they probably wont manage to pass the concentration check.

In any encounter like this though, we must expect the wizard is unprepared, and the monk is prepared, but that is not fair, either neither of them are prepared, or they are both prepared, in both of these scenarios, excluding things such as the antimagic torc, an average wizard should crush a well built monk.

----
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ad+hominem Might want to watch out for using this in arguments.

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
Uhuummm.... the Rope Trick is such a superb spell, that I get the impression that it even beats Discern Location!!!

Have you noticed? ...I mean the answer always is: He is in an extradimensional space that is outside the multiverse of extradimensional spaces (“planes”)!!!!
:D

As for the current debate, I too believe that a Wizard CAN be beat... simply because D&D is not a PvsP game... there is a story... there are choices... and yada yada yada...

STILL, if you want to "stealthily" go after a Wizard... for the love of god... don't try it with a monk.

The monk cannot even take a monk out "stealthily"....

Dandu

First Post
Theoretically, any PC should be able to take out any other PC if given enough time, money, and effort. In which case class ceases to matter.

Drowbane

First Post
Antimagic Torc in Underdark, p.73. Cast Antimagic Field 1/day as a caster level 11 for 25,000gp...

A fantastic item to invest in for a Mundane (read: non-caster)!
However, are we assuming Combat here? If so how does the AMF'd Monk reach the Flying / Invisible / Mirror Imaged / Displaced (really, flight alone would bone the Monk) Mage?

Or are you taking the "Monk vs sleeping wizard, lolz!" route? :D

Note that long duration flight is well within a mage's grasp by 7th level (or is it 9th?).

edit: for sake of arguement, cause I am sure somebody will go here. In a very select situation such as, "Mage can't keep out of reach of the AMFed Monk", then yes even the lowly Monk (one of the worst PHB classes) can take down the mighty Wizard. In the other 99%... Monk is hosed.

Dandu

First Post
However, are we assuming Combat here? If so how does the AMF'd Monk reach the Flying / Invisible / Mirror Imaged / Displaced (really, flight alone would bone the Monk) Mage?
By buying lots of magical items, of course. A Gem of True Seeing, Boots of Flight, and so forth.

It is interesting to note that with this approach, even a humble commoner can kill the wizard. What the commoner must do is pump strength, buy a scythe for the x4 crit damage, enter the wizard's Rope Trick via the undisclosed method Empath Negative's monk uses while the mage is sleeping, and then perform a CDG.

The conclusion is left as an exercise to the reader.

Last edited:

Empath Negative

First Post
Of course you can.

Of course you can't.

You really should read the Rope Trick spell. You might notice that it says that someone can pull the rope up behind them so there's no rope for the monk to climb silently up.

Interesting note, everything I have mentioned so far is in the PHB. But don't let the facts get in the way of you being angry.

Your monk isn't climbing up a rope. He's somehow getting into an extradimensional space without a rope to climb on. Without any explanation as to how it happens.

Did the Wizard climb up the rope too?

If so, I see no reason why the monk couldn't just follow him up...

Dandu

First Post
You're not getting it.

Follow him *while* he is climbing the rope.

... so you follow the wizard... while he's climbing the... then how do you sneak up on him while he is asleep? You know, like you posted here:
The 8th level Wizard in question is asleep. Like they are... almost every night. He went to sleep at 10:00pm, it's currently midnight and the Monk is standing next to him, thanks to being especially sneaky (stealthiness is a part of their class, after all).

I'm curious how the Wizard gets out of this one...

And here:
By being sneaky. We already established that. So now your wizard is alone in this extradimensional space asleep next to this monk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Is the wizard sleep-climbing, or is his spot check so low that he fails to notice a stranger a) climbing the rope right behind him and b) occupying his extradimensional space until bedtime?

Last edited:

Remove ads