• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Most Important Metamagic Feats

NimrodvanHall

First Post
in random order
for a wizzard:
Twinspell
sudden max
sudden still (for when grappled)
enlarge spell
widen spell
Quicken spell
and from lvl 17+ delay spell is THE best metamagic feat in combination with timestop.

for a sorc
heighten
empower
extend
enlarge
still spell
silent spell
any sudden spell
transdimentional spell

for a cleric
extend spell
reach spell
persistant spell

for a druid
extend spell

for a psion
empower
twinn
quicken

Three_Haligonians

First Post
For an epic level sorceror Arcane Preparation in combo with Quicken Spell. Quicken is a prerequisite for a lot of really good epic feats, including the ultimate for spellcasters: Multispell. Without that, you won't be able to keep up with other epic spellcasters.

R from Three Haligonians

Heighten for anybody, including wizards. Extend as well. These two are the "best" since I think it would be real hard to regret taking either one, even at high levels.

The best feat is the one that lets you pull off your shtick better. If you happen to be an artillery Sorccerer, heighten, sculpt, and substitution are the way to go. For an NPC wizard that has time on his hands, heighten, cooperative, and sanctum make scrying much harder to ignore.

For a divine spell caster, extend is great, on either heat metal or regen type spells. Not to mention the buffs. Chain works good too.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thanee said:
If you are a sorcerer, then Heighten Spell is one of the best feats in existance.

If you are not a sorcerer, then Heighten Spell is one of the worst feats in existance.

;)

Bye
Thanee

Why? How does it work? (I know how Heighten Spell works, I just don't know why it would be so beneficial for a sorceror).

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
My 8th Druid is going to take Extend Spell at 9th, and he just bought a Rod of Empower, Lesser. I think Empower is the sort of thing that's nice to throw out on the fly, but Extend is better for planning.

-blarg

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Mistwell said:
Why? How does it work? (I know how Heighten Spell works, I just don't know why it would be so beneficial for a sorceror).

Because it allows them to use their lower level spells in higher level slots to increase the Save DC. It extends their usefullness into the higher levels of the game.

A Wizard can generally just learn a higher level spell that does the equivalent or better, but sorcerers need to make the most of their more limited spell selection.

Heightened Charm Person, Grease, Glitterdust, Web, etc.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Caliban said:
Because it allows them to use their lower level spells in higher level slots to increase the Save DC. It extends their usefullness into the higher levels of the game.

A Wizard can generally just learn a higher level spell that does the equivalent or better, but sorcerers need to make the most of their more limited spell selection.

Heightened Charm Person, Grease, Glitterdust, Web, etc.

So I suppose in that respect, Earth Spell from Races of Stone would be pretty useful for a sorceror.

Joker

First Post
gabrion said:
Another Metamagic feat I really love is Fell Drain from Libris Mortis. By making your ray of frost a second level spell you can now drain levels with it. Sweet!

Or make your Magic Missile a third level and do it with 5 opponents (eventually) :).

Thank you very much, idea stolen.

Remove ads