The Nameless Legion: Templar Lance- Mission #1

Thanee

First Post
OOC: Note, if Shadow *is* actually hidden, Sylv might not be able to use the wand on her (as she has to see her, too), or at least there is a 50% miss chance for the touch, she certainly knows, *where* Shadow was standing, so that shouldn't be hard to guess... Of course, if the confusion negates the hiding, or she was not yet hiding, because the first thing was the initiative... just wanted to note, that the hiding does affect us, too.

Harvey

First Post
OOC: I would say that, as soon as the confusion spell hit, which was technically the "surprise round", that Shadow is no longer hidden... especially since she is babbling incoherently. Thus, I would say that Shadow is not hidden for casting the spell from the wand. However, Shadow will technically still not be hidden until the free action portion of her turn.

Bront

The man with the probe
Harvey said:
OOC: Quick clarification, then I will post the round's results. Shadow reflexively looking around for shade was more flavor text on my part than anything else... the way I understood the character. She seems to reflexively look to go for shadow, especially when her action after stepping thru the 'gate was to hide.

From a game mechanics POV, I still consider Shadow to have Hide in Plain Sight working, since the description says that there needs to be shadow present, and does not specifically say that the character needs to be huddled in the shadow for it to work. It actually says "has to be within 10' of a shadow" instead of "has to be within a shadow". I have assumed it's like a trick of the light, using the shadows to make herself appear as if she is not there.

So, she has Hide in Plain Sight working, but I would think her character would still instinctively go for the nearest shadow. Am I right on this one, Bront?

And not to let too much out of the bag, but Hide in Plain Sight is not going to have much affect against a creature with Tremorsense :)

Oh, and I just noticed: If Sylv can use her wand, then Shadow might be able to go this round. Sylv does pull it off easily, and casts resurgence on Shadow. Shadow re-rolls... and makes his will save. Bront, what does Shadow do this round then? (Keeping in mind that discussing raining cheese is still an option ;) ) Let me know, then I will go for the Round #1 recap...
OOC: She was looking to hide. Doing so in plain sight is no different that doing it in a normal shadow (I don't have any realy cool shadowdancer powers yet beyond Hide in plain sight). However, she still would have been effected by the spell, and babling incoherantly tends to negate hiding, especialy if you're within 10' of someone. So, I wasn't worried about it this time. I'll try to be a bit clearer next time so there's no confusion as to my action.

Bront

The man with the probe
Shadow is now dodging the Angler. She activates her Hustle power, and moves in a blur.

Shadow regains her composure, she takes off running towards the Kelp Angler, drawing her weapons. She makes a tumbling leap over the Angler, landing opposite of Gyre and behind the Angler. Now flanking, she attacks the Angler.

1) Hustle, 5pp, gives Shadow an extra move action this round, and is activated as a swift action.
2) Base Move 50', move action.
3) Jump 36 Tumble 37, Nat 20, so No AoO, techichacly could have cleared as much as 35 feet long and 9 feet high with that jump, so should clear the Kelp Angler with the tumble check. (Gee, that was cool) Part of Move action.
4) Full Attack is +14/+9, +2 Flanking, 1d6+4 +3d6 Sneak Attack, 18-20 x2 crit.
- Note, if the Jump isn't realy possable due to this creature's size, she will simply tumble, but it was a cool effect :)

Thanee said:
OOC: Harvey is waiting for your (potential) action, Bront. ;)
OOC: Sorry, I missed that I was able to move again.

Harvey

First Post
Round #1

Bront said:
OOC: Sorry, I missed that I was able to move again.

OOC: No problem :)

You all are vaguely aware of Shadow discussing the climate and economic impacts of what happens when it rains cheese in the spring time, but manage to not let it distract you as you spring into battle.

Sylv reaches into her backpack and whips out a wand. Speaking the command word, she reaches out and touches the blabbering Shadow gently on the shoulder. The gleam of confusion disappears from her eyes as she focuses on the creature that did this to her.

Gyre is away in a blur. She spring forward towards the mucky creature. Gyre's actions cause the large plant to reflexively swing for an attack, which Gyre dodges with ease. Gyre slices at one of the plant's appendages with her scimitar, and strikes true. And while the creature seems hurt by the slice of Gyre's blade, the dervish gets the distinct impression that the creature shrugged off any flame damage done by Scald. Gyre continues on her dance, positioning herself behind the plant, and finds herself standing in water about 1' deep.

The plant, without appearing to change direction, lashes out with a seaweed-encrusted appendage towards Gyre. Gyre watches as the tendrils snake out towards her, and slip around her body. The usually dexterous Gyre is shocked as the creature succeeds at wrapping its tendrils around her. Gyre attempts to break free of the tenrils, but to no avail, as the tendrils crush her.

OOC: Gyre is grappled, and the tendrils to 6 points of crush damage.

Shadow, her head cleared of thoughts on cheese, kicks into action. She sprints into a high leap, one that wows the rest of her party, and lands on the left side of the creature's rear quarter. In flanking position, Shadow attacks the creature's back with her rapier, landing a blow against what she thinks is the creature's core. The creature seems hurt by the blow, but it does not seem to slow the creature down any.

Shackler also springs into action. Knowling little to nothing about the creature, Shackler hopes that a Psionic Blast will stun it. The party hears a blast as the psionic energy assaults the creature. The creature seems completely unaffected by the psionic assault, and continues to hold fast onto Gyre.

Bront

The man with the probe
Shadow will continue to attack the creature, shifting to keep a flanking position.

Full Attack is +14/+9, +2 Flanking, 1d6+4 +3d6 Sneak Attack, 18-20 x2 crit

tyrlaan

Explorer
Gyre

Gyre starts to writhe in the creature's grasp and attempts to wriggle free.

OOC:
1) Use Escape Artist +12 to break free of grapple
2) Assuming she frees herself, Gye backs up 5'.

Dakkareth

First Post
Shackler

Cursing inwardly Shackler decides, that the creature must be driven by instinct alone, utterly mindless to so escape his blast. Such creatures are the bane of mentalists everywhere, rendering even the most sophisticated snares powerless. Despite this unfortunate development it takes Shackler no more than a few seconds to restore calm and focus to mind. Cruder measures are required here, it seems.

Drawing a slender rod crystal out from under his cloak the psion levels it at the kelp-creature and triggers the power within. A crackling ray of glacial cold leaps from the tip of the dorje and into the beast.

OOC: Regaining psionic focus as move action (concentration 24), then using his dorje of energy bolt. Fort save DC is 14, the damage is 5d6+5.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Sylv

Sylv contemplates for a moment, what she could do against this nasty plant, but to no avail. Seeing Gyre winding in its grip, the fey suddenly has an idea and calls out: “I hope you don't mind, if I help you a little, Gyre.” She pulls out a bit of pork rind and rubs it between her fingers while casting the spell, before pointing at the lithe dancer.

OOC: Casting Grease on Gyre (+10 to Escape Artist checks to escape a grapple).

Remove ads