The Nameless Legion: Templar Lance- Mission #1

Bront

The man with the probe
Shadow takes the folding boat, and slids it into the bag of holding. She then struggles with the bag before quickly deciding this is a bad idea.

Shadow flashes a friendly smile and says "Gyre hon, ya think you can take this bag? You can pro'ly put yer backpack in it 'n carry it easily. This thing's darn heavy."

Assuming Gyre does, Shadow pauses and concentrates a second as her skin begins to shift colors a bit before she walks through the gate with her lance mates.

OOC: The bag weighs 60 pounds, but can carry the library, and the boat with ease. However, that will drop poor shadow into encumbered, and do worse things to poor Shackler and Sylv. Also, just before she steps through she will activate Chameleon (Should cost her 3 PP dispite being listed as only 1, lasts 50 minutes, gives her a +10 bonus to hide beyond anything else she has). She will attempt to hide immediately upon exiting the portal (which basicly requires there to be any kind of shadow that isn't cast by her within 10' of her) Hide check is now +31.

tyrlaan

Explorer
Gyre

Gyre steps over to Shadow, grabs hold of the bag and sizes up its weight. "Hmm." She throws the bag over a shoulder and secures it, then breaks into a simple flowing dance. "Yup, I can carry this - no problem."

Gyre struts over to the portal. "Well, we're not getting any younger. Let's go."

Dakkareth

First Post
Shackler

Ok, here we go. Standard procedure.

While the portal is opening Shackler readies his equipment with the routine of a veteran. After checking that the chain shirt beneath his robes and the crystal rod at his belt are properly in place he affixes a mithral buckler looking more like a metal arm-guard than a shield to his left arm. A moment of concetration, during which the air around him shimmers as if filled with small sparks, is enough to ascertain that contingency and inertial armor are functional. He then gives a small nod to the others, to show that he's ready.

Shackler goes through the portal last. 823 hours, mission is ON, he notes automatically.

OOC: My last post was supposed to go before Harvey's, but something got in the way and I took so long, that it was posted after. The standard powers are up and running as noted on my character sheet; 165 PP left.

Harvey

First Post
You all feel the familiar tingle as you pass though the Worldgate, and as you pass through, you're blinded a bit by the bright light of the sun.

It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust, and you soon realize you are standing on the shore of a mainland. Directly ahead, about 20', is a kelp-encrusted shoreline. Beyond that, the glimmering of the sea is interrupted by various crags jutting out from below the ocean. There are a number of them, some 20 or so of them, with sizes from a few meters and larger. Directly in front of you is the largest crag... an island that you judge to be a few miles away as the crow flies.

Behind you, the portal shrinks in size until it disappears entirely.

Shadow instinctively looks for a place to hide, but finds none within reach... you appear to be on a swampy outcropping, and there is nothing taller than a bush in sight.

As you stand, taking a few seconds surveying the sea before you, you feel a wave of magical force sweep over you. All of you are able to shrug off the effect, with the exception of one: Shadow if filled with the overwhelming urge to do nothing but babble incoherently for a while.

The rest of you get the distinct impression that the spell originated from within the kelp bed ahead of you, and as you look in that direction, you can see a portion of the kelp bed swaying against the natural sway of the rest of the kelp, almost as if it were alive.

OOC: There is a patch of kelp that lies 20' ahead of the group. It is size large, and seems intent on doing you harm. Unfortunately, Shadow is going to be confused for a number of rounds, but as for everyone else...

Initiative is as follows:
Sylv = 27
Gyre = 27
Kelp Angler = 17
Shadow = 16 (babbling incoherently at the moment)
Shackler = 8

Everyone can go ahead and post your actions for round one, then I will recap.

Thanee

First Post
Sylv

An eyeblink before Gyre reacts, Sylv reaches into her backpack and produces a small wand from it. While the fey attunes herself with it and speaks the command word, she reaches out and touches Shadow gently on the shoulder in order to help her fight against the strange being's magic.

OOC: Retrieve Wand of Resurgance [CD p.177] (MA); Use Magic Device +18 - Use Wand on Shadow (SA).

BTW, Shadow can Hide in Plain Sight, tho there might not be a suitable shadow currently.

tyrlaan

Explorer
Gyre

"Right."

Gyre gets a gleam in her eye and erupts towards the hostile plant. On her way she deftly draws her scimitars. Gyre takes a broad swing with "Scald," as is apparent by the sheath of flame that licks around its finely crafted blade, at the plant and continues racing past without any pause or hesitation. She then spins around and firmly places herself at the "rear" of the plant, facing her teammates.

"Anyone know what this thing is? Natural or created? Could it be something deliberately placed or is this just the sign of how this lance's luck is going to play out?"

OOC:
1) Gyre is dodging the kelp angler. AC vs kelp angler is 29 (33 if provoking AoO)
2) Gyre uses Spring Attack to move and attack.
2a) Move 20' toward kelp angler
2b) Draw weapon as free action during a movement
2c) Attack with "Scald" - AB is +18, damage is 1d6+7 +1d6 fire, crit is 15-20/x2
3) Gyre continues movement (20' remaining) past kelp angler, then turns back in to be positioned "behind" it.

Reminder: From Elusive Target, Negate Power Attack is in effect against kelp angler. Also, if I end up in a flanking position, the Diverting Defense effect also kicks in.

Do you want us to roll for ourselves or are you planning on doing all the rolls?

Dakkareth

First Post
Shackler

As Shackler emerges from the portal and shakes off the enchantment, Sylv and Gyre are already springing into action. Of course, too much too ask, an easy crossing ... He takes a moment to take stock of the situation and summon any knowledge of beasts such as the one facing the lance. Then, acting quickly, he runs in a 45° angle towards the kelp line until the way between him and the patch of apparently-sentient kelp is clear. Energy races through his mind, welling up from within, and is projected at the creature in a blast of mental static audible even to mundane ears.

There! A few seconds of time to regroup, let's make it count.

OOC: Not adhering to post-by-initiative here for the sake of speed.

Knowledge Psionics (39), Knowledge Arcana (25)
Moving into position as to not catch lance members in the cone, then using Psionic Blast (augmented to 7pp, expending focus). The DC to avoid being stunned for two rounds is 24.

If his knowledge indicates, that the creature cannot be stunned or he'd catch others in the cone, Shackler will act differently.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Shadow

Shadow begins to discuss the climate and economic impacts of what happens when it rains cheese in the spring time. It appears to be a very interesting subject for her at the moment.

ooc: As I understand hide in plain sight, I can hide in someone elses shadow while staning next to them. But no big deal, especialy since she didn't have much time to do anything, and would be babling anyway.

Harvey

First Post
Thanee said:
BTW, Shadow can Hide in Plain Sight, tho there might not be a suitable shadow currently.[/size]

Bront said:
ooc: As I understand hide in plain sight, I can hide in someone elses shadow while staning next to them. But no big deal, especialy since she didn't have much time to do anything, and would be babling anyway.

OOC: Quick clarification, then I will post the round's results. Shadow reflexively looking around for shade was more flavor text on my part than anything else... the way I understood the character. She seems to reflexively look to go for shadow, especially when her action after stepping thru the 'gate was to hide.

From a game mechanics POV, I still consider Shadow to have Hide in Plain Sight working, since the description says that there needs to be shadow present, and does not specifically say that the character needs to be huddled in the shadow for it to work. It actually says "has to be within 10' of a shadow" instead of "has to be within a shadow". I have assumed it's like a trick of the light, using the shadows to make herself appear as if she is not there.

So, she has Hide in Plain Sight working, but I would think her character would still instinctively go for the nearest shadow. Am I right on this one, Bront?

And not to let too much out of the bag, but Hide in Plain Sight is not going to have much affect against a creature with Tremorsense :)

Oh, and I just noticed: If Sylv can use her wand, then Shadow might be able to go this round. Sylv does pull it off easily, and casts resurgence on Shadow. Shadow re-rolls... and makes his will save. Bront, what does Shadow do this round then? (Keeping in mind that discussing raining cheese is still an option ;) ) Let me know, then I will go for the Round #1 recap...

Remove ads