The new Bats v Supes trailer looks AWESOME!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Then who sent the letter? And why does it show the recent event of Wayne's building falling?

To me, it makes much more sense for it to be a grief-addled relative of someone who died when the building fell.

No, it's Robin. They also show Robin's costume defaced by the Joker. In the comics, the Joker kills (one of) the Robins.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What's the line...they are drawn that way. :)

They have been in the past, yes. That's a hurdle we ought to be working harder to overcome.

Ms. Marvel (Kamala Kahn) is not currently drawn for sex appeal, and is arguably the best female character in major comics today.

MechaPilot

Explorer
She's the only strong, serious, female hero in the current generation of superhero movies.

We'd have more of them, if we men stopped requiring them all be, "sexy".

As a woman, I like my heroines to be sexy. I'm not saying that they all have to be sexy, but sexiness is part of the idealized, wish-fulfillment aspect of a superheroine to me.

MechaPilot

Explorer
No, it's Robin. They also show Robin's costume defaced by the Joker. In the comics, the Joker kills (one of) the Robins.

I am, vaguely, familiar with the Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood stories, so I get the background that you're talking about. However, I don't think it's Robin. My understanding is that Robin was pissed at Bruce for not killing the Joker for what he did to Robin, but I don't think that Robin would blame Bruce for something that was done by aliens of unexpectedly tremendous power. As far as I know, Robin didn't develop a desire to sadistically hurt Bruce.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I am, vaguely, familiar with the Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood stories, so I get the background that you're talking about. However, I don't think it's Robin. My understanding is that Robin was pissed at Bruce for not killing the Joker for what he did to Robin, but I don't think that Robin would blame Bruce for something that was done by aliens of unexpectedly tremendous power. As far as I know, Robin didn't develop a desire to sadistically hurt Bruce.

What? No! That's not what I meant at all! Robin is dead in this continuity; he was killed by the Joker. The Joker is taunting Batman about it (defacing the Robin costume etc., as we see in the trailer).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As a woman, I like my heroines to be sexy.

That's fine. I was talking about how men ought to change their attitudes. I make no assertion about women's attitudes.

However, I would be surprised that if you did some market research, and found the ways to portray a women as sexy to men, and sexy to women, you'd get markedly different portrayals, such that you wanting them to be sexy has a different impact than men wanting them sexy.

I'm not saying that they all have to be sexy...

I don't have a problem with some of them being sexy. I think you'll find that, at the moment, they all are. And we'd get better characters and stories if we didn't focus so much on that aspect.

Heck, they cast Marissa Tomei as *AUNT MAY* - the quintessential comic book "old woman". There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tomei's acting ability, but your audience isn't supposed to be hoping to see Aunt May in a bikini.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
They have been in the past, yes. That's a hurdle we ought to be working harder to overcome.

Ms. Marvel (Kamala Kahn) is not currently drawn for sex appeal, and is arguably the best female character in major comics today.

well she's no slouch either, she's no less sexy than Jean Grey or Kitty Pryde have been, even if she explicitly "does not meet white Eurocentric standards of beauty". Besides she can grow any body part at will!

Heck, they cast Marissa Tomei as *AUNT MAY* - the quintessential comic book "old woman". There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tomei's acting ability, but your audience isn't supposed to be hoping to see Aunt May in a bikini.

and Just saying it's not Tomeis fault char_64879_6815.jpg

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
What? No! That's not what I meant at all! Robin is dead in this continuity; he was killed by the Joker. The Joker is taunting Batman about it (defacing the Robin costume etc., as we see in the trailer).

Okay, then I did misunderstand you a bit. So, if the Joker is using that letter to taunt Batman, then he apparently knows who Batman is. That doesn't sound right to me. I know that identities in comics have been discovered and revealed before, but I don't think that's what DC is going for in their films (although it will be interesting to see how Clark maintains his secret ID without a mask in the forthcoming films).

Remove ads