The new Bats v Supes trailer looks AWESOME!

MechaPilot

Explorer
That's fine. I was talking about how men ought to change their attitudes. I make no assertion about women's attitudes.

However, I would be surprised that if you did some market research, and found the ways to portray a women as sexy to men, and sexy to women, you'd get markedly different portrayals, such that you wanting them to be sexy has a different impact than men wanting them sexy.

Granted, though I'm certain there's some overlap.

I don't have a problem with some of them being sexy. I think you'll find that, at the moment, they all are. And we'd get better characters and stories if we didn't focus so much on that aspect.

When it comes to films, I think all superheriones are going to be sexy. Even the people that are supposedly plain or homely in films are portrayed as being quite good looking compared to normal people. It's only when ugliness is an inherent aspect of who the heroine is that we will possibly see a not above-average looking heroine on screen.

I do think we'll get better stories if there is less focus on sexiness, but I don't think story suffers if you have a sexy heroine but choose not to focus so much on her sexiness.

Heck, they cast Marissa Tomei as *AUNT MAY* - the quintessential comic book "old woman". There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tomei's acting ability, but your audience isn't supposed to be hoping to see Aunt May in a bikini.

I agree. Aunt May in a bikini should retain the "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" aspect instead aiming for cougar or GMILF direction.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Granted, though I'm certain there's some overlap.

Of course.

When it comes to films, I think all superheriones are going to be sexy.

There is a difference between "we cast someone who is generally attractive" and "we go out of our way (and thus use storytelling time) to highlight physical attractiveness." Hawkeye Initiative, and all that.

I do think we'll get better stories if there is less focus on sexiness, but I don't think story suffers if you have a sexy heroine but choose not to focus so much on her sexiness.

I think we are in agreement on this.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Mmmm. Aunt May in a Bikini...

What?

or there's this

enhanced-buzz-29848-1358283690-3.jpg

and Tomei is 50, which is a fine age to be the aunt of a teenage Peter Parker. It just so happens that what was Old in 1962 isn't so Old in 2015 - 50 is the new 30 and all that...

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I agree. Aunt May in a bikini should retain the "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" aspect instead aiming for cougar or GMILF direction.
While I agree that aunt May is not supposed to be a sex symbol, she generally has been portrayed as ridiculously old in the comics.

I mean, Peter is supposed to start his career as a teenager. She is his uncle's wife, and Ben was Richard Parker's big brother. Unless (a) she was significantly older than Ben, (b) Ben was significantly older than Richard, and/or (c) Richard held off having kids to a rather old age, she ought to be around 40-50. Not necessarily a "hot" 50-year-old, but not the octogenarian she's usually portrayed as.I think the age she was portrayed as in the Raimi movies, or in Ultimate Spider-Man, seems about right.

Of course, Peter's grown up since then, but May has remained more-or-less the same age ("ancient").

She's the only strong, serious, female hero in the current generation of superhero movies.

We'd have more of them, if we men stopped requiring them all be, "sexy".
Listen, some of us just want the characters to look like what we have known them as, not some agenda driving new interpretation of the character. Yes, i expect a live action power girl to be top heavy with a cleavage window, but I'd also pay good money to see a live action version of the DCAU version of Amanda Waller rather than the thinner versions from other comics.

Amandahead.jpg

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yes, i expect a live action power girl to be top heavy with a cleavage window, but I'd also pay good money to see a live action version of the DCAU version of Amanda Waller rather than the thinner versions from other comics.

About Power Girl's costume, I really wouldn't expect that costume. Now that has nothing to do with any kind of "agenda;" recall that I have said, as a woman, sexy heroines are part of the wish fulfillment aspect of superheros to me. I am merely pointing out that costumes change, and that what is traditional in costume is sometimes laughable; as seen by the yellow spandex comment thrown at Wolverine in the first X-men movie.

About Amanda Waller, I think she'll probably end up thinner than the proportions in your picture because of the "hollywood homely" concept I alluded to earlier. I also think she'll end up thinner because fat people in films are generally associated with comedy instead of the authority that Waller projects. When you ask people about overweight actors and actresses, they're probably going to mention John Belushi, Chris Farley, John Candy, Melissa McCarthy, and the big girl from Hairspray (whose name escapes me right now). And, in fact, if you look at the actress who plays Waller in next year's Suicide Squad film, Viola Davis, at the comic con panel she appears thinner than the picture you posted.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
About Amanda Waller, I think she'll probably end up thinner than the proportions in your picture because of the "hollywood homely" concept I alluded to earlier. I also think she'll end up thinner because fat people in films are generally associated with comedy instead of the authority that Waller projects.

Actresses who can do it exist. Patricia Belcher, from "Bones", for example. She's probably a touch too old, but the ability to project authority is definitely there.

Remove ads