The new Bats v Supes trailer looks AWESOME!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
meh, since the reveal that they would be doing a buddy up against Doomatello I've had pretty much no interest in seeing this movie and the clip here just makes me sad. They had so much potential to work with and instead resorted to cheap tricks in order to gain ground against Marvel.

They should have maintain the grim Supes vs Bats vibe and then had Aquaman declaring war against the Air breathers not thrown everything out the window for a bit of spectacle

I think it looks great.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I think it looks great.

So do I.

Also, I honestly don't get the hate for the second full trailer. I know people don't care for Eisenberg's Lex as seen in the trailers (although I think most of what we've seen from him is a public face that he puts on to seem less threatening), but I just don't get the other complaints.

We all knew from the title of the film, and from the long-standing friendship/partnership between the characters (and from the film synopsis), that they were going to end up teaming up in the end. Plus, the trinity shot doesn't tell us what the nature of the team-up is. Have Bats and Supes completely kissed and made up? Is it a terse alliance against a greater foe, with Wonder Woman keeping Bats and Supes egos in check? Or is it something else?

Furthermore, using Doomsday now doesn't preclude using him again later, or using the death of Superman storyline, since Doomsday's entire schtick is that he comes back from the dead stronger than before (plus, I think the CGI on Doomsday looks no worse than what we saw on Ultron, the Hulk or Thanos).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So do I.

Also, I honestly don't get the hate for the second full trailer. I know people don't care for Eisenberg's Lex as seen in the trailers (although I think most of what we've seen from him is a public face that he puts on to seem less threatening), but I just don't get the other complaints.

Doesn't matter. Just enjoy it! No validation required. :)

MechaPilot

Explorer
meh, since the reveal that they would be doing a buddy up against Doomatello I've had pretty much no interest in seeing this movie and the clip here just makes me sad.

Just some serious questions.

Did you really not know the team-up would be coming at some point in this film? If you didn't realize that right from the beginning, didn't reading the "Dawn of justice" part of the title give you some kind of hint that it was coming?

As far as "Doomatello" goes, can you explain what's actually wrong with the CGI for Doomsday (it looks just as good/bad as the CGI for Ultron, the Hulk and Thanos does). I've looked up images of the character online, and what I saw in the trailer looks about right. He's missing the more extremely protruding bone spikes, but the whole Doomsday thing is that he evolves, and it's not unreasonable to think that the bone spikes could develop during the fight.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Doesn't matter. Just enjoy it! No validation required. :)

Oh I am definitely enjoying it, and planning on going to enjoy the film as soon as possible. This may even be the very first film that I see more than once in a theater (usually, if I enjoy a film I just save my money so I can buy it the day it comes out on DVD). It's just that I don't think I'm so out of touch with other people that I can't understand different points of view, so it sort of aggravates me a bit that I don't get the problems that others have with it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Firstly I will declare that I didn't like Superman Returns, I didn't see it until early last year and I thought the Grim Dark approach to Supes and repeating the Zod plot was just a bit naff. So yes I was already a little leery about this film but I was hoping that the Batman side of the story might redeem things.

Just some serious questions.
Did you really not know the team-up would be coming at some point in this film? If you didn't realize that right from the beginning, didn't reading the "Dawn of justice" part of the title give you some kind of hint that it was coming?

of course the team up was going to happen,really the real draw card of the movie for me was the mystery of how they were going to get from the grim dark conflict to compelling the two antagonist to work together. The mystery was exciting and could have got me to the theatre to find out - but the trailer has blown the mystery to shreds and also eliminated any other compulsion that might have existed.
My mention of Aquaman was a reference to Atlantis invading Metropolis in Throne of Atlantis. Not an exact copy of the story but imho an Atlantean invasion could have been used both to create the eminent threat to the heroes and to introduce Aquaman and Wonder Women to the conflict without the big jump from Superman saying "the Bat is dead" and Bats threatening "do you bleed? - you will" to the casualness of Supes asking, "She with you?" and Bats quipping, ".I thought she was with you!"

that quip was too jarring for me especially on top of the presentation of the Bats in Chains Scene, ADHD Lex and the ease with which he is able to frankenstein Zods DNA into Doomsday. Doomsday is a big gun of the DC universe, dropping him into this movie was unnecessary, cheap and a waste of potential, especially as something has to happen to ensure the heroes stop/beat him.

and where exactly do you go after Doomsday? who is going to be the next viable villain for the Justice League? (Braniac or Darkseid I suppose)

but yes if they do have Doomsday kill Supes or even just pummel him into a coma I will eat my hat and send you all the pictures as an apology:)

As far as "Doomatello" goes, can you explain what's actually wrong with the CGI for Doomsday (it looks just as good/bad as the CGI for Ultron, the Hulk and Thanos does). I've looked up images of the character online, and what I saw in the trailer looks about right..

to be honest for me it is about the lack of bone spikes and significantly the lack of nose. I would have preferred if he had in fact looked more like the Abomination did in The Hulk, this Doomsdays face just lacks character and quite simply looks like a bad rubber suit.
Sure Thanos might like a bit dumb too but I think that Ultron and the Hulk are pretty good in as much as they are identifiable those characters and able to emote. Of course I don't expect Doomsday to do much emoting but I do want to be able to go "whoa thats Doomsday laying some awesome smack down on Supes" without it just being dust clouds and explosions

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
IT's always fun to see how differently ppl react to things.

For me, Lex is one of the only things drawing me to the film. That and the idea of Jason Momoa as Aquaman.

I didn't like Man of Steel at all, I absolutely frelling despise Miller-esque Batman, so I doubt I'll like this one, and I don't give two rusted pennies about the whole superman vs batman idea.

But Lex. I'm willing to sit through the rest to see more of the Lex we see in the trailer.

Also, referring to a character disparagingly as ADHD [name] is a bit ableist. I'm not ADHD Bryce, I'm just Bryce, and it's a disorder with often crippling effects, not a cheap joke.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Firstly I will declare that I didn't like Superman Returns, I didn't see it until early last year and I thought the Grim Dark approach to Supes and repeating the Zod plot was just a bit naff. So yes I was already a little leery about this film but I was hoping that the Batman side of the story might redeem things.

Just a minor correction here, but I assume you mean Man of Steel and not Superman Returns. I thought Superman Returns did a good job of recreating the air of the Richard Donner/Christopher Reeves Superman, but I didn't think it was a very good movie.

of course the team up was going to happen,really the real draw card of the movie for me was the mystery of how they were going to get from the grim dark conflict to compelling the two antagonist to work together. The mystery was exciting and could have got me to the theatre to find out - but the trailer has blown the mystery to shreds and also eliminated any other compulsion that might have existed.
My mention of Aquaman was a reference to Atlantis invading Metropolis in Throne of Atlantis. Not an exact copy of the story but imho an Atlantean invasion could have been used both to create the eminent threat to the heroes and to introduce Aquaman and Wonder Women to the conflict without the big jump from Superman saying "the Bat is dead" and Bats threatening "do you bleed? - you will" to the casualness of Supes asking, "She with you?" and Bats quipping, ".I thought she was with you!"

that quip was too jarring for me especially on top of the presentation of the Bats in Chains Scene, ADHD Lex and the ease with which he is able to frankenstein Zods DNA into Doomsday. Doomsday is a big gun of the DC universe, dropping him into this movie was unnecessary, cheap and a waste of potential, especially as something has to happen to ensure the heroes stop/beat him.

I have to say that the trailers have still left me curious about how the team up comes about. Are they fighting each other right up until Doomsday appears? I don't think that's so. If you look over Lex's right shoulder as he creates Doomsday, you can see Superman standing there. I'm somewhat baffled as to the why of that, but it does appear that Doomsday doesn't simply appear out of nowhere while Bats and Supes are fighting.

There's also the scene from the first trailer where Superman is basically kneeling before Lex, whose hand is bandaged (perhaps with a shard of kryptonite in it). If Superman is somehow powerless in that moment, it might explain why Supes is simply standing by as Lex creates Doomsday. It also might mean that Supes may enlist Batman's help to stop Lex.

Also, what role does Wonder Woman play in getting them to set aside their differences and team up? Does she simply appear out of nowhere and save Batman from Doomsday? Unlikely. She is definitely at the party that we see in the beginning of the second trailer. In the first trailer, where the valet checked out her butt, we can clearly see that's the same party. Does her presence run through the film like a thread? Maybe she somehow gives Bruce the nightmare that we see in the desert scene: that scene is a dream or vision, as confirmed by the Knightmare Batman toy, and neither Batman nor Superman could rationally have a nightmare that includes parademons (if that's what those flying creatures really are in that scene) because neither of them knows about Darkseid and his minions while the Amazons might.

Regarding the "I thought she was with you" quip, I think that's something they threw in as an appeal to the more hardcore fans who know of different storylines where Wonder Woman has alternately been romantically involved with Batman or Superman.

I have to admit that I've never seen Throne of Atlantis. Is that the animated film that takes place in the aftermath of Justice League: War?

and where exactly do you go after Doomsday? who is going to be the next viable villain for the Justice League? (Braniac or Darkseid I suppose)

but yes if they do have Doomsday kill Supes or even just pummel him into a coma I will eat my hat and send you all the pictures as an apology:)

Well, let's not be hasty. After all, what did that hat ever do to you :p

As far as where they go for JL villains, I assume that Doomsday will come back even stronger after being killed in this film. They may even do the Death of Superman storyline at some point (though probably not until they feel they need to shake up the DCCU). I agree with you that Brainiac and Darkseid are both good villain options for the JL. They could also go with Bizarro, the Injustice League, or any other villain or group of villains, or villain with macguffin who could stand up to characters on par with Superman.

to be honest for me it is about the lack of bone spikes and significantly the lack of nose. I would have preferred if he had in fact looked more like the Abomination did in The Hulk, this Doomsdays face just lacks character and quite simply looks like a bad rubber suit.
Sure Thanos might like a bit dumb too but I think that Ultron and the Hulk are pretty good in as much as they are identifiable those characters and able to emote. Of course I don't expect Doomsday to do much emoting but I do want to be able to go "whoa thats Doomsday laying some awesome smack down on Supes" without it just being dust clouds and explosions

I agree with you in that I definitely want Doomsday to do more than just dustclouds and explosions. However, based on what I've read about Doomsday he doesn't really have any other motivations and emotions besides kill and destroy, so I'm not really expecting him to be anything more than a giant ball of muscle, bone blades and rage.

I will also admit that I am assuming that he grows some type of bone blades during the fight in the film. I don't think that's a leap however, especially given the Michael Shannon story about being unable to open a door because of some type of prosthetic on his hands (he did come out and say that was a lie, but that could just be the studio forcing him to take it back at the risk of violating some kind of NDA). Those prosthetics could be the start of the bone blades.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
IT's always fun to see how differently ppl react to things.

For me, Lex is one of the only things drawing me to the film. That and the idea of Jason Momoa as Aquaman.

I didn't like Man of Steel at all, I absolutely frelling despise Miller-esque Batman, so I doubt I'll like this one, and I don't give two rusted pennies about the whole superman vs batman idea.

But Lex. I'm willing to sit through the rest to see more of the Lex we see in the trailer.

Also, referring to a character disparagingly as ADHD [name] is a bit ableist. I'm not ADHD Bryce, I'm just Bryce, and it's a disorder with often crippling effects, not a cheap joke.

oops yes I meant Man of Steel - since Christopher Reeves run I do tend the get confused on the Superman outings:)

and I apologies for my ADHD comment, I do agree that invoking that as a label was callous and laziness on my part.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
You never know; they could make it interesting by having Doomsday kill Supes. (... and then break death in the movies the same way that they did in the comics, for sequels)

It looks like a crowded movie and Bats v Sups might not be the focus of the film. What I do not want to see, but the trailer with Doomsday shows, is that they aren't original. With lines like "I thought she was with you" and Bats and Sups teaming up against Doomie, it could have the same problems the Force Awakens had and that is not being innovative.

Remove ads