• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[The One Ring] The Marsh Bell: Character Creation

garyh

First Post
Battle of Five Armies is good. Perhaps we came from the Iron Hills with Dain, then stayed to rebuild the Lonely Mountain?

fireinthedust

Explorer
JNC: excellent! I'll agonize over who I'll be for this pbp (potentially a very long time!), and do some touch-ups.

Everyone Else: Okay, so I'm stuck between so many options here. I like both characters, the hobbit I could play, and now the Barding option with sword skills. Fie! I suppose the Woodsman would be fun, the problem being that I can't really do Wizard stuff, and this game isn't about that. Maybe being an Elf would be better, and they do have some elf magic, and they do live forever, are the children of Eru, and know a lot of stuff... and the elf trait is pretty sweet. On top of that, Vardolas would be pretty handsome, and lives basically forever (heck, even if killed they could ship my parts to the West and somehow I'm under the impression he'd get better in some way... well, unlikely as it may seem, this is Tolkien's elves... and that's pretty special).

Okay, Elf it is. Born of the Wood Elves, with the blood of Noldor heroes in his veins. Where is my fellow Silvan elf, that we may link our knowledge of things unknown to the children of Aule and the Shire?

Anyway, we're five years after the Battle of Five Armies, which affected everyone but the Shire Hobbits. Beornings, Woodsmen, Men of Dale, Dwarves and Elves, and on top of that the events of the razing of Dol Guldur. Big to-do, and likely everyone's still feeling it.

CaBaNa

First Post
I like your woodsman [MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION], (do you prefer first letter cap, or no?) if you shifted to a scholar, they would be very wizard-like. You'd also have access to awareness, enhancing their scouting abilities even more. Couldn't he even be apprenticed to Radagast?

Edit: I notice that your woodsman is our best hunter, he looks better and better.

Also, I want to stress that you should go with what calls to you as the most fun. Whatever that means for you, run with it.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
CaBaNa: I know! I've got him as Radagast's apprentice, but I don't know what he'd do in the group. I don't know if he's a frontline fighter or any good in combat, and he just kinda knows stuff about herbs. No putting out fires with his brain, and he doesn't have the smoking ability (so no Gandalf smoke rings). I'm not sure if he'd know about elven lore, either.
I suppose it would be fun, though, and I can always add the smoking somehow with xp(?)

What does Hunting do for the party? Does it help with, say, finding food?

CaBaNa

First Post
Take a look at staunching song if you want elf magic with the woodsman, hound of mirkwood also has Radagast involved.

If you switched from bows to long-hafted axe, you'd be a good front line fighter, and sturdy with either herbal remedies or staunching song.

Hunting is for; tracking, preparing traps, training dogs/birds/etc...

I'm sure he can smoke, even if he doesn't have the trait.

EDIT: None of us yet knows "our role" in the group.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
My character is the other elf, a Warden type character (an Elven Ranger sorta thing, just not the D&D type... more like Strider... as an elf... with a bow). Figured she was involved in the battle for Dol Goldur, helping drive the necromancer out and has been patrolling Mirkwood trying to drive out the dark things that have pretty much overrun it.

I'd say play whatever you want to play most.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I highly recommend rhyming names for dwarves, though that may be a brother vs. kinsman thing. Brothers Balin and Dwalin are cousins of Gloin and Gimli, but I'm not sure about the others.

It turns out my day off now involves a four hour training session (so it doesn't interfere with my work?), so I'll try to get to the char gen tomorrow morning before I go in.

Whatever I end up with, I want to have it be useful and frequently so, and not something that gives the loremaster more work (like knowledge skills requiring them to pump out more exposition).

Whether I go with Woodsman, Wood elf, or a left-field Beorning, I think your Warden should know my character.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Whether I go with Woodsman, Wood elf, or a left-field Beorning, I think your Warden should know my character.

Any of those characters could have been involved in driving the necromancer out of Dol Goldur and/or involved with hunting down the critters in Mirkwood and could know my character that way - or whatever idea JoeNotCharles had.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads