• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[The One Ring] The Marsh Bell: Character Creation

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Hobnob isn't much for combat in general currently. He is a farmer, give me a little to work on it.

I've been playing too much 4E, where everyone's got their combat role. :) If you're fine with him hiding all combat anyway (that neat vanishing trick sure will help with that!) then it doesn't really matter whether he uses a bow or not...

garyh

First Post
I'm going to go with Orin for my dwarf's name. If you want to rhyme, Walking Dad, you could go with (_)orin or O(_)in as bases.

CaBaNa

First Post
The plan was to vanish for most of combat, maybe stepping out to heal a wounded ally, or popping off a shot from the shadows at an opportune moment. How much of a role does combat play in this game? In 4e combat is much of the time spent at the table.

EDIT:

Here is the code for the changed character. JNC may I please change the trait "Cautious" back to the trait "Merry". Keeping the same background story, however changing Restless Farmer to Witty Gentleman. This is to reflect Hobnob's role in his family, he doesn't just work the soil, he also works the sale.

Code:
{"name":"","culture":"hobbit","standard":"prosperous","culturalBlessing":"hobbitSense","calling":"scholar","shadowWeakness":"lureOfSecrets","specialties":"herbLore,smoking,rhymesOfLore","features":"cautious,patient","favoured":"persuade,stealth,insight,lore","awe":"1","persuade":"2","travel":"1","stealth":"3","awareness":"2","insight":"2","search":"2","explore":"1","healing":"2","song":"2","courtesy":"3","riddle":"2","lore":"2","undefined":"2","body":"2","heart":"6","wits":"6","favouredbody":"3","favouredheart":"8","favouredwits":"9","endurance":"22","startingEndurance":"22","fatigue":"6","hope":"18","startingHope":"18","shadow":"","armour":"","headgear":"","parry":"6","shield":"+2","damage":"2","ranged":"2","wisdom":"2","valour":"1","experience":"","total":"","weary":"false","miserable":"false","wounded":"false","virtues":"artOfDisappearing","rewards":"","weaponSkills":"shortSword,true,5,10,14,1,2;bow,false,5,10,14,1,1;dagger,false,3,G,12,0,1;,false,,,,,0","gear":",;,;shield,3;,1;,","comments":{}}

Fourmonos, I love that idea, and now that Hobnob uses a shortsword Riggins has cover.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I'm going to go with Orin for my dwarf's name. If you want to rhyme, Walking Dad, you could go with (_)orin or O(_)in as bases.

I will take Borin.

As we are of the same family, having the same 'slayer-incident', makes taking the same lore nearly a must.

Was away the weekend to visit my father-in-law with my family. I returned and one relay station of my Internet provider is broken, leaving me with no access at home. I'm currently in the local library, but this slows down my posting considerably.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Ok, so that means you have Fatigue 20, Armour 4d, Headgear +1, Parry 6, Shield 0, Damage 6, Ranged 6.

Here's your updated character:

[sblock=Character Code]
Code:
{"name":"Kurin Stoneshield","culture":"dwarf","standard":"rich","culturalBlessing":"redoubtable","calling":"treasureHunter","shadowWeakness":"dragonSickness","specialties":"smithCraft,stoneCraft,burglary","features":"proud,wilful","favoured":"travel,search,explore,craft","awe":"1","inspire":"2","athletics":"1","travel":"3","stealth":"1","awareness":"1","insight":"1","search":"3","explore":"2","song":"1","riddle":"2","craft":"3","battle":"2","lore":"2","undefined":"2","body":"6","heart":"2","wits":"6","favouredbody":"8","favouredheart":"3","favouredwits":"9","endurance":"30","startingEndurance":"30","fatigue":"20","hope":"8","startingHope":"8","shadow":"0","armour":"4d","headgear":"+1","parry":"6","shield":"0","damage":"6","ranged":"6","wisdom":"2","valour":"1","experience":"","total":"","weary":"false","miserable":"false","wounded":"false","virtues":"brokenSpells","rewards":"","weaponSkills":"mattock,true,8,10,18,3,2;shortSword,false,5,10,14,1,1;dagger,false,3,G,12,0,1;,false,,,,,0","gear":"coatOfMail,16;capOfIronAndLeather,2;,;,;,","comments":{}}
[/sblock]

Which Broken Spells do you want to start with? Spells of Opening and Shutting, Spells of Prohibition and Exclusion, or Spells of Secrecy?

Ok, that gives you Fatigue 26, Armor 5d, Headgear +4, Damage 6, Ranged 6. Here's your updated sheet:

[sblock=Character Code]
Code:
{"name":"","culture":"dwarf","standard":"rich","culturalBlessing":"redoubtable","calling":"slayer","shadowWeakness":"curseOfVengeance","specialties":"smithCraft,trading,orcLore","features":"bold,wrathful","favoured":"athletics,travel,craft,battle","awe":"1","inspire":"2","athletics":"1","travel":"3","awareness":"2","search":"3","explore":"2","healing":"1","hunting":"1","song":"1","riddle":"2","craft":"3","battle":"2","lore":"1","undefined":"2","body":"6","heart":"3","wits":"5","favouredbody":"9","favouredheart":"5","favouredwits":"6","endurance":"31","startingEndurance":"31","fatigue":"26","hope":"9","startingHope":"9","shadow":"0","armour":"5d","headgear":"+4","parry":"5","shield":"0","damage":"6","ranged":"6","wisdom":"1","valour":"2","experience":"","total":"","weary":"false","miserable":"false","wounded":"false","virtues":"","rewards":"dwarfWroughtHauberk","weaponSkills":"mattock,true,8,10,18,3,2;shortSword,false,5,10,14,1,1;dagger,false,3,G,12,0,1;,false,,,,,0","gear":"mailHauberk,20;helm,6;,;,;,","comments":{}}
[/sblock]

I really like the name! Here's the sheet I have so far. You just need to pick gear - armour, helm, and shield (if any). Also, don't forget you can only use Stinging Arrow for your Elf-Magic for now.

[sblock=Character Code]
Code:
{"name":"Vardolas","culture":"elf","standard":"martial","culturalBlessing":"folkOfTheDusk","calling":"slayer","shadowWeakness":"curseOfVengeance","specialties":"elvenLore,mirkwoodLore,orcLore","features":"fair,swift","favoured":"inspire,persuade,athletics,awareness","awe":"2","persuade":"1","athletics":"3","travel":"1","stealth":"2","awareness":"2","insight":"1","healing":"1","hunting":"1","song":"2","riddle":"1","battle":"2","lore":"3","undefined":"3","body":"4","heart":"4","wits":"6","favouredbody":"7","favouredheart":"6","favouredwits":"7","endurance":"26","startingEndurance":"26","fatigue":"4","hope":"12","startingHope":"12","shadow":"0","armour":"0","headgear":"0","parry":"6","shield":"","damage":"4","ranged":"4","wisdom":"2","valour":"1","experience":"","total":"","weary":"false","miserable":"false","wounded":"false","virtues":"woodElfMagic","rewards":"","weaponSkills":"bow,true,5,10,14,1,3;sword,false,5,10,16,2,1;dagger,false,3,G,12,0,1;,false,,,,,0","gear":",;,;,;,;,","comments":{}}
[/sblock]

Thats strange, because when I pick Broken spells it doesn't allow me to pick another ability. I'll take spell of shutting and opening.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Thats strange, because when I pick Broken spells it doesn't allow me to pick another ability. I'll take spell of shutting and opening.

Right, it's just fan-made, so although it's slick it doesn't support every option. (It calculates your starting Fatigue wrong, for another example.) The text of Broken Spells says, "You know one of the following spells:" but the sheet doesn't support virtues with more than one sub-option.

You can learn more spells after the first by spending experience.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION], how about you stick with the magic and I'll switch to something else... maybe switch to valor and get a woodland bow for a bonus opening volley.

Have we resolved our melee/ranged line? Sounds like we need 5 melee, 2 ranged for the ranged to be able to focus on it. My character was designed to be an archer, but I could go in and tweak her to do something else...

CaBaNa

First Post
I liked having both elves able to use magic, thought it would be useful, sad to see it change. I changed Hobnob from bow to short sword, and Riggins can work in either role, so I believe we're fine.

Remove ads