[The One Ring] The Marsh Bell: Character Creation

Walking Dad

First Post
Re-tried and it worked... strange...

Name: Borin Culture: Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable Calling: Slayer Shadow weakness: Curse of Vengeance
Specialties: Smith-craft, Trading, Orc-lore
Distinctive features: Bold, Wrathful
Body: 6 Heart: 3 Wits: 5
Body (favoured): 9 Heart (favoured): 5 Wits (favoured): 6
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 1 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 3 Stealth: 0
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 0 Search: 3
  • Explore: 2 Healing: 1 Hunting: 1
  • Song: 1 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 3 Battle: 2 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • Mattock: 2 damage: 8 edge: 10 injury: 18 enc: 3
  • Short sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
-Virtues-:
-Rewards-: Dwarf-wrought Hauberk
-Gear-
  • Mail hauberk enc: 20
  • Helm enc: 6

Endurance: 31 Starting Endurance: 31 Fatigue: 26 Hope: 9 Starting Hope: 9 Shadow: 0 Armour: 5 Headgear: 4 Parry: 5 Shield: 0 Damage: 6 Ranged: 6 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hey guys, sorry for being slow. Working literally 7 days a week, so it's been hard to keep awake let alone fiddle with stats. I'm still in, and tonight I'll try to get the equipment done.

I'm just happy to be an elf, due to the history. If we're both archers/ranged (thanks, oh hobbit!), I don't mind. Maybe we studied together?

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Thats strange, because when I pick Broken spells it doesn't allow me to pick another ability. I'll take spell of shutting and opening.

I just found out you can click on "Broken Spells" and it will give you an option to "Set Comment" - you can type "Opening and Shutting" there and it'll be shown as

Broken Spells (Opening and Shutting)

So, looks like everybody's good except fireinthedust needs to pick equipment - one more step is the creation of your Fellowship.

You will meet in Lake-town, where you'll be given a comission by a prominent citizen. Maybe you already know each other, or maybe you'll be brought together by your employer. We've established the two Hobbits know each other, but do you two know the Dwarves?

I think it would work well if the two Elves don't know the others just yet - I actually have a hook to start them off in that case.

In any case, once you're brought together you will have a Fellowship Rating of 9 - that's 1 per member, plus 1 per Hobbit with the Hobbit-sense blessing.

Recall that you may spend a point of Hope after making a roll to add your Body, Heart or Wits to the roll (and if the roll was for one of your favoured[/b] skills, you add the favoured value instead of the basic one). Hope doesn't replenish at the end of an adventure. The only way to recover it is by spending Fellowship. Spend 1 point of Fellowship, restore 1 point of Hope. You can do this at any time, and Fellowship does replenish at the end of the adventure. (This way, you can recover 9 points of spent Hope each adventure, spread out among the 7 of you.)

To spend a point of Fellowship, at least half of the other members of the company must agree, since a communal resource. If you can't get at least 4 of 7 to agree, you can spend Fellowship anyway, but you gain 1 point of Shadow for every point you spend (for being so selfish).

Also, each character may choose a Fellowship Focus, another character who you're especially close to. (Frodo was clearly Sam's Fellowship Focus.) They don't have to reciprocate. Your Fellowship Focus does two things: they're a Source of Hope (at the end of an adventure, you regain 1 point of Hope if your Fellowship Focus wasn't harmed; you gain 1 point of Shadow if they were wounded, or 3 points if they were killed) and they're a Source of Inspiration (if you spend a Hope point to add to a roll you were using to directly protect or favour your Fellowship Focus, and the roll succeeds, you immediately get your Hope point back).

So, think about this, and tomorrow I'll post the start of the adventure! (If you haven't finished picking Fellowship Focuses, or if fireinthedust hasn't picked equipment yet, that's fine - there'll be some roleplaying before we get to the first journey into the Wild, so you still have a few more days to finalize things.)

Voda Vosa

First Post
About the fellowship focuses, I don't think my character knows any other, or if he does, not enough for that kind of attachment. Perhaps it could be developed later?

JoeNotCharles

First Post
About the fellowship focuses, I don't think my character knows any other, or if he does, not enough for that kind of attachment. Perhaps it could be developed later?

Ok, so we have Orin and Borin are - brothers? Cousins?

Kurin Stoneshield is another dwarf living in/around the Lonely Mountain who doesn't know them closely, although perhaps by sight or by reputation.

Hobnob and Riggins are business partners exporting pipeweed to (that's an awesome hook, BTW).

Authiel is one of the marchwardens of Mirkwood, and Vardolas is a noble at the court of King Thranduil. Not sure if you guys know each other, but the hook I'm going to give works either way.

Have I got that right?

CaBaNa

First Post
@FourMonos , I like your character background, PM me about any additional details, or if you want to have Hobnob and Riggins be each others fellowship focus.

@JoeNotCharles would it be alright to change the character trait "Cautious" to "Merry"? I think you've accurately described Riggins and Hobnob.

Code:
{"name":"","culture":"hobbit","standard":"prosperous","culturalBlessing":"hobbitSense","calling":"scholar","shadowWeakness":"lureOfSecrets","specialties":"herbLore,smoking,rhymesOfLore","features":"merry,patient","favoured":"persuade,stealth,insight,lore","awe":"1","persuade":"2","travel":"1","stealth":"3","awareness":"2","insight":"2","search":"2","explore":"1","healing":"2","song":"2","courtesy":"3","riddle":"2","lore":"2","undefined":"2","body":"2","heart":"6","wits":"6","favouredbody":"3","favouredheart":"8","favouredwits":"9","endurance":"22","startingEndurance":"22","fatigue":"6","hope":"18","startingHope":"18","shadow":"","armour":"","headgear":"","parry":"6","shield":"+2","damage":"2","ranged":"2","wisdom":"2","valour":"1","experience":"","total":"","weary":"false","miserable":"false","wounded":"false","virtues":"artOfDisappearing","rewards":"","weaponSkills":"shortSword,true,5,10,14,1,2;bow,false,5,10,14,1,1;dagger,false,3,G,12,0,1;,false,,,,,0","gear":",;,;shield,3;,1;,","comments":{}}

Last edited:

Remove ads