The perfect cRPG for old people to get a taste of the hobby?

pawsplay

Hero
My favorite CRPG is Final Fantasy, which has essentially none of that stuff. It's all about gaining levels and finding magic items. Likewise, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, for the PS/2.

I don't like "good" CRPGs. I think Knights of the Old Republic is one of the worst games I've ever played. I only beat it because of stubbornness, lightsabers, and eventually, a grim determination to break every aspect of "balance" (I beat the game using some kind of Sith sword that had poison, counter-acting a lot of the regen advantages the bad guys had).

As far as, like, people being introduced to genre fantasy, having choices, and interacting with characters, without the game mechanics being completely opaque, you've got Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy X. I enjoy the old Gold Box games but they are clunky and rely on a fair amount of pre-existing AD&D knowledge. I enjoy Pathmaker: Kingmaker but I would never inflict that on a newbie to the genre.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I’d say there’s a pretty clear couple of top picks. For newer or current games: World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy 14, Baldur’s Gate 3, or Dragon Quest 11. WoW and FF14 both have free-to-play options. They’re MMOs, sure, but they will give a far greater sense of freedom and open world than most others. For older games: just about anything from the Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy franchises, or Planescape: Torment. If the goal is to get a sense or feel of RPGs through CRPGs, you can’t really go wrong with these.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I generally go by 15 years older than me. Thus, I will only become old when there is no one 15 years older than me.
When I was younger, I thought the sign of being old was when strangers called you sir or ma’am. I had to find a new defining line for what old was because that started happening to me when I hit 35.

And yes, despite having a beard that used to go down to my belly button, I have been called ma’am.

Remove ads