• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The power of a curse

Greenfield

Adventurer
Being new to the D&D setting, I'm going to let you in on a nice little non-secret: Wizards of the Coast (WOTC) released the bulk of the rules in an electronic form, for free. It's called the System Reference Document (SRD), and it's electronically searchable.

You may or may not have known about it, but I figured that you might want to know.

Now, on topic, from the SRD...
CURSED ITEMS
Some items are cursed—incorrectly made, or corrupted by outside forces. Cursed items might be particularly dangerous to the user, or they might be normal items with a minor flaw, an inconvenient requirement, or an unpredictable nature.
Randomly generated items are cursed 5% of the time.
This is followed some time later by the following charts:
SRD said:
CURSED ITEMS
Cursed items are magic items with some sort of potentially negative impact. Sometimes they’re directly bad for the user;
sometimes they’re just inconvenient. Occasionally they mix bad with good, forcing characters to make difficult choices.
Cursed Item Common Curses
d% Curse
01–15 Delusion
16–35 Opposite effect or target
36–45 Intermittent functioning
46–60 Requirement
61–75 Drawback
76–90 Completely different effect
91–100 Substitute specific cursed item
Delusion: The user believes the item is what it appears to be, yet it actually has no magical power other than to deceive. The user is mentally fooled into thinking the item is functioning and cannot be convinced otherwise without the help of a remove curse spell.
Opposite Effect or Target: These cursed items malfunction, so that either they do the opposite of what the creator intended, or they target the user instead of someone else. The interesting point to keep in mind here is that these items aren’t always bad to have. Opposite-effect items include weapons that impose penalties on attack and damage rolls rather than bonuses.
Just as a character shouldn’t necessarily immediately know what the enhancement bonus of a noncursed magic item is, she shouldn’t immediately know that a weapon is cursed. Once she knows, however, the item can be discarded unless some sort of compulsion is placed upon it that compels the wielder to keep and use it. In such cases, a remove curse spell is generally
needed to get rid of the item.
Intermittent Functioning: The three varieties of intermittent functioning items all function perfectly as described—at least some of the time. The three varieties are unreliable, dependent, and uncontrolled items.
Unreliable: Each time the item is activated, there is a 5% chance (01–05 on d%) that it does not function.
Dependent: The item only functions in certain situations. To determine what the situation is, either select a situation or roll on the following table.
d% Situation
01–03 Temperature below freezing
04–05 Temperature above freezing
06–10 During the day
11–15 During the night
16–20 In direct sunlight
21–25 Out of direct sunlight
26–34 Underwater
35–37 Out of water
38–45 Underground
46–55 Aboveground
56–60 Within 10 feet of a random creature type
61–64 Within 10 feet of a random race or kind of creature
65–72 Within 10 feet of an arcane spellcaster
73–80 Within 10 feet of a divine spellcaster
81–85 In the hands of a nonspellcaster
86–90 In the hands of a spellcaster
91–95 In the hands of a creature of a particular alignment
96 In the hands of a creature of particular gender
97–99 On nonholy days or during particular astrological events
100 More than 100 miles from a particular site
Uncontrolled: An uncontrolled item occasionally activates at random times. Roll d% every day. On a result of 01–05 the item activates at some random point during that day.
Requirement: In a sense, a command word is a requirement. Nevertheless, some items have much more stringent requirements that must be met for them to be usable. To keep an item with this kind of curse functioning, one or more of the following conditions must be met.
• Character must eat twice as much as normal.
• Character must sleep twice as much as normal.
• Character must undergo a specific quest (one time only, and then item functions normally thereafter).
• Character must sacrifice (destroy) 100 gp worth of valuables per day.
• Character must sacrifice (destroy) 2,000 gp worth of magic items each week.
• Character must swear fealty to a particular noble or his family.
• Character must discard all other magic items.
• Character must worship a particular deity.
• Character must change her name to a specific name. (The item only works for characters of that name.)
• Character must add a specific class at the next opportunity if not of that class already.
• Character must have a minimum number of ranks in a particular skill.
• Character must sacrifice some part of her life energy (2 points of Constitution) one time. If the character gets the Constitution points back (such as from a restoration spell), the item ceases functioning. (The item does not cease functioning if the character receives a Constitution increase caused by level gain, a wish, or the use of a magic item.)
• Item must be cleansed with holy water each day.
• Item must be used to kill a living creature each day.
• Item must be bathed in volcanic lava once per month.
• Item must be used at least once a day, or it won’t function again for its current possessor.
• Item must draw blood when wielded (weapons only). It can’t be put away or exchanged for another weapon until it has scored a hit.
• Item must have a particular spell cast upon it each day (such as bless, atonement, or animate objects).
Requirements are so dependent upon suitability to the item that they should never be determined randomly. An item with a requirement that is also intelligent often imposes its requirement through its personality. If the requirement is not met, the item ceases to function. If it is met, usually the item functions for one day before the requirement must be met again
(although some requirements are one time only, others monthly, and still others continuous).
Drawback: Items with drawbacks are usually still beneficial to the possessor but they also carry some negative aspect.
Although sometimes drawbacks occur only when the item is used (or held, in the case of some items such as weapons), usually the drawback remains with the character for as long as she has the item.
Roll on the table below to generate a drawback that (unless otherwise indicated) remains in effect as long as the item is in the character’s possession.
d% Drawback
01–04 Character’s hair grows 1 inch longer. Only happens once.
05–09 Character either shrinks 1/2 inch (01–50 on d%) or grows that much taller (51–100). Only happens once.
10–13 Temperature around item is 10°F cooler than normal.
14–17 Temperature around item is 10°F warmer than normal.
18–21 Character’s hair color changes.
22–25 Character’s skin color changes.
26–29 Character now bears some identifying mark (tattoo, weird glow, or the like).
30–32 Character’s gender changes.
33–34 Character’s race or kind changes.
35 Character is afflicted with a random disease that cannot be cured.
36–39 Item continually emits a disturbing sound (moaning, weeping, screaming, cursing, insults).
40 Item looks ridiculous (garishly colored, silly shape, glows bright pink, . . .).
41–45 Character becomes selfishly possessive about the item.
46–49 Character becomes paranoid about losing the item and afraid of damage occurring to it.
50–51 Character’s alignment changes.
52–54 Character must attack nearest creature (5% chance [01–05 on d%] each day).
55–57 Character is stunned for 1d4 rounds once item function is finished (or randomly, 1/day).
58–60 Character’s vision is blurry (–2 penalty on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks requiring vision).
61–64 Character gains one negative level.
65 Character gains two negative levels.
66–70 Character must make a Will save each day or take 1 point of Intelligence damage.
71–75 Character must make a Will save each day or take 1 point of Wisdom damage.
76–80 Character must make a Will save each day or take 1 point of Charisma damage.
81–85 Character must make a Fortitude save each day or take 1 point of Constitution damage.
86–90 Character must make a Fortitude save each day or take 1 point of Strength damage.
91–95 Character must make a Fortitude save each day or take 1 point of Dexterity damage.
96 Character is polymorphed into a specific creature (5% chance [01–05 on d%] each day).
97 Character cannot cast arcane spells.
98 Character cannot cast divine spells.
99 Character cannot cast any spells.
100 Either pick one of the above that’s appropriate or create a drawback specifically for that item.
Now I couldn't help but notice that "Become a creature of godlike power" wasn't listed in the "Drawbacks" section. The closest it gets is "Polymorphed into a specific creature". Polymorph has some specific limitations (aside from the hit dice limit which might be dropped for the curse), and while it may give the form of something of horrific reputation or power, it won't convey the power itself. That is, Polymorphing into a Troll won't give you Regeneration. Polymorphing into Tiamat won't give you the divine powers of the queen of evil dragons. Polymorphing into the Tarrasque won't make you unkillable.

That sort of thing.

And while it specifically says that "Cursed" is a term that covers a lot of things, and that they don't all have to be bad, I think that "Drawbacks" pretty much do have to be a problem, not a way to become overpowered at a discount price.

Thanks a bunch Greenfield (I knew about the SRD, but I appreciate you trying to help :D)

I really was confused about why it was a 'curse' but polymorphing does make a lot more sense. I thought it was a full transformation xD

Greenfield

Adventurer
Actually, "Change Race or Kind" is on that last table (entry 34), as is "Polymorph" (entry 96).

But changing race is generally limited to PC races, so a Human might become an Elf, or a Gnome might become a Dwarf. As a guideline, stay within the same "Effective Character Level" range.

You might curse an Elf to become a Drow, even though Drow have an ECL adjustment of +2, but that's about as far as I'd go, and I'd make sure the transformation really was a drawback.

to be a curse, I think it would have to be a lower level creature, otherwise I think it should be house rules that it is not a curse? Then again an elf with a ring of orc/half orc would sure as hell feel cursed.

But if we took a clever human rouge, benafiting from the human starting abilities, which mostly effect leveling up, then took the ring of an elf, he would be happy with his dex buff, new racial traits and such, and taking off those stat points and feats would be very questionable

Then it leaves the question is this really a curse, because a curse reduces an items price, if we assume a character has insane funds (which they dont) they would have more room to add abilities too it

So if a player did cleverly wish for this curse, I wonder what would do.

jefgorbach

First Post
So if a player did cleverly wish for this curse, I wonder what would do.

The problem is your player CANT simply Wish for such a ring/effect directly because presumably the spell(Wish) is limited to some unstated fraction of the 25,000gp value of non-magical items allowed by RAW and Polymorph is worth at LEAST 56,000gp using the crafting guidelines.

RAW states a Wizard must be at least 7th level to learn 4th level spells like Polymorph, so such a ring would be 7(4)2000 for use-activated = 56,000gp base value, and even granting a 30% discount for being unremovable only reduces it to 39,200gp; well beyond the limit of a single Wish.

However I could see a potential plot-source for such a ring: capital punishment. For instance, a powerful high level individual is eventually captured, tried, and banished after being forcibly outfitted with a cursed ring changing his race to ___ to negate his qualifications for the PRC/etc making him such a threat (because Cultural/etc circumstances prevent his direct execution).

My suggestion would be to have the Wish grant him the knowledge where the existing owner/corpse is currently located, but not the hazards/guardians needing overcome unless he requested such details in the Wish; nor the fact wearing such a ring would drastically alter his choices of available feats, PRCs, etc.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=28278]jefgorbach[/MENTION] Remember that the last portion of the Wish entry is "wish for something of greater power than what is listed". I can definitely see a DM allowing for such a cursed ring to be made through a Wish spell, but with unexpected drawbacks such as; permanently becoming one particular race, with the LA of that race affecting you without the HD increase (in the case of Illithid); having the ego of an Illithid implanted next to your own ego, constantly battling each other for supremacy and control of the host body; or even completely illusory change, with no mechanical relavance, except that you believe with all your being that it works perfectly.

Those are just some suggestions that are probably not relevant to the topic at hand.

jefgorbach your idea is reasonably and thanks :D

The limit on magic items for wish is defiantly clear, you have to pay additional XP cost equal to double that of the magic item +5000 additonaly, and it also says in the magic item guide the upper limit of a magic item (I wouldn't know to much about epic stuff though) is 200,000 GP

Provided the player has XP to burn (I really dont know why they would, but lets just pretend they beat some big nasty creature), and the effect is singular, wish is supposed to allow you that effect, provided that you can pay for it.

Also since the entry does say 'change race' I think the price's people suggest for polymorph would be understated, as it looks more like a constantly active shape change.

If the player where to find this ring, I think one of the things that must be done, is like the lycanthropsy curse, change the characters EL and +2 to it.

Also Sekhmet, thanks and while somewhat relevant, I think that would come under 'create magic item or add to powers of existing magic item' wouldn't it?

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=6692006]James the Newbie[/MENTION] It's just an set of curses attached to the primary curse (changing race to Mind Flayer) that aren't in the books, and so the players really can't expect them and/or test for them without some use.
I don't know if it has been pointed out, but the Tarrasque isn't a creature race (it is a Magical Beast), it is a unique creature. I'm actually just reading through the thread right now, I was a little drunk when I posted that previous comment.

I should also note that the "change race" option in the Cursed items section remains in effect as long as the item is in your possession, not just until you take it off. Unless you gave it to someone else, or got rid of it in some fashion, you'd be an Illithid forever.

Last edited:

scott2978

First Post
An item that allows someone the Alter Self spell would be much more reasonable. You'd be limited to forms that are the same type as either the wearer or the creator depending on how you see it, but it's a much cheaper and lower level alternative.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Even that can be gross, and should be very expensive based on the power it conveys.

Aside from being the perfect disguise (+10 to Disguise checks) that will pass physical inspection (unlike Hat of Disguise), it can be used to change to forms with a lot of powerful abilities.

Need to fly? Avarial Elf is a winged Humanoid, fly speed 50. Need to breath under water? Sea Elf does that. Swims like a fish too. Troglodyte gives you +6 Natural Armor and a defensive stench. The list is long, and pretty much legendary.

And if you don't happen to be Humanoid? Say you're a Half Dragon? Now you get full Dragon as an available form.

Fey? Hello Pixie!

If you were looking for a "sane" version of "cursed" shape change effect, Alter Self isn't it. Not unless the form is automatic, and pre-selected. Then at least the impact is a known quantity.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads