D&D 5E The Problem with Constitution

Xeviat

Hero
Hi everyone. Long time player, started with 3E and have followed D&D through the editions. I've been a DM most of the time and I'm very much down with house rules. Back in 3E, I had made my own classes, expanded the skill system, rebalanced the weapon table, and even made a full MP system for magic. Two-Weapon Fighting was my big problem child in 3E. I definitely lean towards the rules oriented approach to the game, and I appreciated 3E's skill examples over 5E's "just wing it" approach.

My guiding principle as a rules modder is "all options should be viable". And it is from there that I come to look at something fundamental to D&D: Constitution. I believe the Constitution ability is flawed. It is something that all characters want; in all of my 5E games, all characters have been built with at least a 12 Con, with the vast majority having a 14 (I've seen two 16 Cons, one on a Dwarf Fighter and another on a Goliath Barbarian). This has basically become a non-choice.

Yesterday, though, it dawned on me that there is another issue with Constitution: it doesn't define a character. The other stats are easy to build archetypes around: the strong-guy, the agile-guy, the smart-guy, the wise-guy (not the wiseguy), and the charming-guy (sometimes the wiseguy). The tough-guy archetype significantly overlaps with the strong-guy.

Constitution is an entirely passive ability score. It's a stat everyone wants as high as they can get it, and no build can shrug and say, eh this isn't important for my character. Having an average or a low constitution gives your character a drawback that cannot be minimized or overcame, like the other stats.

I think 4E was the only edition that I've played where Constition didn't bother me. It gave a one time HP bonus (con score) that felt like it became less important as you gained levels. It also increased your healing surge number, which was it's real strength, but this was hidden hp that felt less important to characters who didn't put themselves into danger. It was still not in a great position as far as ability scores went (if your class didn't use Str, you always put a higher Con than Str, and high Str characters felt a little disincentivized from having a high Con), but it felt a little better.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what could be done with Constitution to make it more like the other ability scores? To balance it out so an 8 isn't fatal and make it possible that someone would put their highest stat there? Something so the bulk of characters aren't walking around with 14s?

If I were designing a game from the ground up, I'd have constition grand an active endurance point system. Something that could be used to power movement or defensive, and offensive, skills. Something like Skyrim's stamina system. A warrior could be built with higher stamina than strength and focus on special techniques over consistant output, but someone who wasn't intending on using those types of abilities would feel less incentivized to push for a high Con. I'd affix HP to Strength, since the Strong archetypes are also the Tough archetypes, and to give a reason for non strength attackers to want a higher Str.
The high-con archetype would then become the athletic character, which is different from the strong/tough character. We could even go a step further and build the sorcerer off of con, since it's inborn magic, but that would be very different.

What do you think? What con scores do you see in your game. If you don't think it's a problem, why? If you agree, what are your pie in the sky ideas? I cannot think of anything to do in 5E other than removing Con mod to HP, adding Con Score to HP, and increasing hit die recovery to recovering all spent HD on a long rest (I've tested this, high con characters end up with more daily HP but higher level characters have less HP in a fight).

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
What do you think? What con scores do you see in your game.

I honestly couldn't say. I don't really look at the character sheets when I DM. I imagine most everyone has at least a 10 as that's what I do when I play, but I'm not sure what others do.

If you don't think it's a problem, why?

My overriding concern is the play experience at the table. "Did we achieve the goals of play this session, that is, everyone having fun and an exciting, memorable story being created as a result of playing?" That answer is always "yes," so far, with the existing rules for Constitution in place. To that end, I don't see a problem that needs fixing.

5ekyu

Hero
In my 18 month recently concluded 5e game Con scores went from 14 to 16 for PCs.

In my current we have two at 10-11, three at 16 and that does produce very defining traits. By even 3rd level, the HP difference is stark and the playstyle much different but by no means are the 10s not viable or underperforming in overall play.

A key thing for a game will be how much do other stats matter? If the game is heavy on combat challenges Con will be heavily valued as the second stat. But if it features exploration and social and discovery and mystery, that 16 INT should be as important.

As GM the challenges you provide are what sets the "price" vs "value" for the choices.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think Constitution is just weird in that it operates in a different range of numbers than the other stats and yet uses the same ability score pool.

Con is essentially a 12-16 stat rather than an 8-16 one like the rest of them. I think when viewed this way, it is okay thematically. 12 is low, 14 is average, 16 is high. It also makes sense that adventurers would be tough. They literally have the constitution for it.

Barbarian is the only class that does something special with it. This is the part which I think is a lost opportunity. It would be nice if 1 or 2 other classes would have a reason to push to an 18 or 20 Con.

Xeviat

Hero
[MENTION=57494]Xeviat[/MENTION] Go play an 8 con rogue and tell me con doesn't define you character...

Notice I said that the "tough guy" wasn't a well defined character that was different from the "strong guy". Having a low con very much defines your character, in ways WAY more game impacting than someone with an 8 in any other stat. I've seen 8's in other stats. Those characters don't feel purposefully gimped. They have a weak point in something they can avoid.

Perhaps my games are too combat heavy, but that's not something I intend on changing in a game built upon an expanded war game where 90% of the book is dedicated to combat abilities and the skill system is an after thought.

Xeviat

Hero
I think Constitution is just weird in that it operates in a different range of numbers than the other stats and yet uses the same ability score pool.

Con is essentially a 12-16 stat rather than an 8-16 one like the rest of them. I think when viewed this way, it is okay thematically. 12 is low, 14 is average, 16 is high. It also makes sense that adventurers would be tough. They literally have the constitution for it.

Barbarian is the only class that does something special with it. This is the part which I think is a lost opportunity. It would be nice if 1 or 2 other classes would have a reason to push to an 18 or 20 Con.

I very much agree. I think giving more classes more things to do with tertiary ability scores would also help. As of right now, Con feels like everyone's 2nd or 3rd highest stat, unless you're really building a character with a specific idea in mind and you can't really justify anything else. But even then, a 10 or 8 feels like you're saying "I don't want to have any fights in this game), even when 1 hp/level isn't that huge of a deal in the end.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Do away with hit dice for recovery.
Add a healing surge mechanic that heals about 1/4 of your hp per use.
Have con not affect hp but instead give more healing surge uses.
If you want more hp you take the toughness feat.
Adjust hp on classes. Physical classes get current die+3 per level. Intermediate classes get current die+2 per level. Caster classes get current die + 1 per level.
Let concentration saves be determined by your casting stat instead of your constitution.

Now con determines daily endurance. HP is baked into the class and the toughness feat offers a way to get more if desired. Wizards need less daily endurance and have less major mechanical incentive to start with a high con so it actually becomes a choice. Front line characters want con so they can heal themselves up after being injured in battle.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Notice I said that the "tough guy" wasn't a well defined character that was different from the "strong guy". Having a low con very much defines your character, in ways WAY more game impacting than someone with an 8 in any other stat. I've seen 8's in other stats. Those characters don't feel purposefully gimped. They have a weak point in something they can avoid.

Perhaps my games are too combat heavy, but that's not something I intend on changing in a game built upon an expanded war game where 90% of the book is dedicated to combat abilities and the skill system is an after thought.

Well, I don't think a fighter can get by with 8 con. But a rogue or maybe a wizard. I think they can get by with 8 con. Rogues just go ranged and hide and kite a lot. Wizards would play similarly except they would use shield and misty step a lot.

It's doable on backline characters, you just have to change your playstyle drastically to avoid damage whenever possible.

I do agree with 12+ con all feeling the same. When everyone uses con and no one dumps it then everyone feels the same.

Remove ads