• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The REAL poll, which of these are dogs?

Which of these belong in a Dog20 book?

• wolves

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • coyote

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • hyenas

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • dingoes

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • foxes

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • tasmanian wolves

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • really butch cats

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • other

Votes: 10 28.6%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnifex

First Post
Aren't hyaena's actually not very canine? I seem to remember someone mentioning in a discussion about gnolls that hyaenas are in fact more closely related to cats, or something along those lines...

I could be horribly wrong though. And if they are canine, you could include some stuff about gnolls and their techniques for training their hyaena cousins :)

alsih2o

First Post
Carnifex said:
Aren't hyaena's actually not very canine? I seem to remember someone mentioning in a discussion about gnolls that hyaenas are in fact more closely related to cats, or something along those lines...

i asked, and it was pointed out to me here, i looked it up and it is true, they are more closely related felids, who knew?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Other: African Hunting Dog. Or Dhole.

Didn't vote for the others because, well, wolves are not Dogs and never can be. Foxes seem too different, even though they are in the same class. (Some interesting Fox info ).

The Tasmanian Wolf is, of course, not even close to a dog. It's a relative of the 'possum; it's of the order Marsupialia and is, I think the sole member of it's own Family, Thylacinidae. But it comes with it's own pouch! Imagine a Pouch of Holding for a gnome druid Thylacinidae rider. On the other hand, don't :)

Wolves, I would think, you could do an entire book and supplement on. Or if you wanted to do a book on all the Canidae, then include all of them: I'd definately buy that.

Canidae descends from the superfamily Canoidea, which also includes weasels (Mustelidae), Bears/giant pandas (Ursidae), and Racoons/lesse pandas (Procyonidae).

Hyenas are not in Canidae; they are in their own family, Hyaenidae, which also includes aardwolves; Hyaenidae descends from the superfamily Feloidea; Felidae (cats and great cats) are a branch off that. So are Mongooses and civits, don't ask me why.

Jackals are also in Canidae

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
what about the female of the species?

edit: dog is a male fox. a male etc...

vixen is a female fox

bitch is a female domesticated canine.

etc...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.