• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Rod of Seven Parts: Kauai Team OOC

Just waiting on Voadam to post before forwarding things. As the baby is napping and her morning nap is the time of day I allot myself for posting, I will probably begin working on a combat post this hour so that I can simply add Voadam's in whenever he provides it.

I caught myself on an earlier error. Wand activation does not normally incur an AoO. Apologies, Voadam. Good thing the crocodile had missed.

I'll leave the record unedited, but the error is noted and hopefully will not be repeated in the future.

Voadam

Legend
CanadienneBacon said:
I caught myself on an earlier error. Wand activation does not normally incur an AoO. Apologies, Voadam. Good thing the crocodile had missed.

I'll leave the record unedited, but the error is noted and hopefully will not be repeated in the future.

No problem. And not the first time Voadam has suffered from that specific rules error :) . The first time was in the Banewarrens when Voadam was ambushed by a couple of ogre minions of a bad guy. I drew a wand because I was threatened by both and started blasting lightning bolts, drawing two attacks of opportunity. I pointed out the rules quote in the PH and the DM said "That's wrong, I'm sure it provokes an AoO. I think that's just a chart misprint." and stuck with his ruling. At that point I stopped rules arguing and instead focused back on the game and used a flying move action (I had already been flying) to withdraw to then position myself to blast them from relative safety in the next couple of rounds. We quickly got back into the swing of the combat instead of devolving into a rules argument and it was still a fun encounter. The DM later realized it was not a chart error and apologized but we all agreed it was better to keep going at the table with an error rather than halt the game for an argument.

Voadam

Legend
Alternatively, can I grab chev and drag him to a safer distance without provoking AoOs?

For instance a grapple would only provoke one from Chev, and then I automatically draw him into my space I believe. I might be able to then five foot step back without provoking any AoOs.

Ambrus

Explorer
Voadam said:
Can someone prone move 5' without drawing an AoO? I want to clear a path for Chev if it will help.
Not normally no. Both standing up from prone and crawling 5 ft. as a move action each provoke attacks of opportunity.
Voadam said:
Alternatively, can I grab chev and drag him to a safer distance without provoking AoOs?
As far as I know, there aren't really any rules that govern the moving of other characters, so its entirely up to CB.
Voadam said:
For instance a grapple would only provoke one from Chev, and then I automatically draw him into my space I believe.
In a grapple it's the attacker who moves into his opponent's space.

Voadam

Legend
Ambrus said:
In a grapple it's the attacker who moves into his opponent's space.
You're right, step 4 at the end of the round to maintain a grapple is to move into their space. I deal with improved grab (which draws the victim into the attacker's space) too often and normal grapple not often enough. I also immediately thought of the -20 one armed style action, but remembered that that was only for improved grab.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads