The Romance of the River Kingdoms

Dr Simon

Explorer
Something I'm not averse to is using different casting stats for spellcasting classes, so I don't see a problem with having a Wisdom-based sorcerer (would suggest powers based more on the intervention of spirits, perhaps, than of internal power).

Alternatively, I don't think the original characters had the net +2 gain to ability scores that PF characters do. My gut feeling is that this would vary between nai-nek-chai, but I also don't see why an eagle-based character couldn't have a +2 Cha (noble beast and all that).

As for the shapeshifting rules, I've had a look at PF variants for hengeyokai, kitsune and "skinwalkers" (lycanthropic types). The most consistent ruling seems to be to treat it as if it were a spell of the polymorph subschool, which removes the issues with gear that are troubling.

There are some feats associated with the hengeyokai race that might be useful too.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm, I didn't know there were Hengeyokai in Pathfinder...that could simplify things.

Well, if we can get the racial stuff worked out in better detail; and I would like to get a better feel for the race's flavor text too, then I can see two possibilities for Annika in Pathfinder.

First, she can remain a sorceror, the result of a normal nai-nek-chai (whatever brand of normalcy that is :)) who has been for some reason infused with this firey aspect. One thing I'd want to work on with this is developing her life before the game a bit, as I was starting to suffer from a lack of history interfering with a lack of future ideas. :)

Or second, I could repattern her as an Oracle of the Flame Mystery, which retains a lot of the 'boom' potential of sorcery, but adds some clerical spells as well. This might be an interesting way to portray that whole 'spirit magic' thing I was working at developing, as well as offering an interesting backstory/origin.

Oracle is probably less efficient in terms of mechanics, but it has some interesting story possibilities...

Anyway, lets focus on race first. Do you have the link to the original article on their 3.5 game stats?

Remove ads