The Romance of the River Kingdoms

The Rolling Man

First Post
Jar'Thol, Salsham'ai shaman

Jar'Thol had been watching the scene onfold from the relative safety of the shoulders of a worn out statue but, as the wolves come closer and make demands, he know it would look better if he came down. With some apprehension, he starts to climb down to the ground to speak with the wolf leader. "Just as you aren't dogs, I'm not a man-thing. I am a Salsham'ai, or Treefolk, and we are friends with the nature spirits. So by them and by the spirits of my ancestors, I do swear to leave you alone if you let us search for our goal. I will also convince the humans of Cormondal to do the same. But for this pact to work, you must also swear that you will not hunt weak humans or the animals they feed. Keep to the wilds and there might be peace between you two."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Might end up being a double-post...

[sblock="Jar'thol"]
Diplomacy roll 12 +5 = 17
[/sblock]

From down on the ground it becomes apparent to Jar'thol that the wolf is a lot taller than him. It stops its pacing as it considers his offer. Moments pass.

"We do not hunt man-things," says the pack leader. "It's too dangerous for us. And we will swear not to hunt the man-thing's weak beasts. If you can make this oath stick with the man-things of...Cormondal, salsham'ai, then we'll keep to our deal."

It glances over its shoulder and issues a series of barks and yips. The rest of the pack move back into the collonades, but continue to watch the party warily. The leader and his two guard-wolves move to the right of the entrance, keeping their distance from the humanoids.

"In the building at the end, there are many statues of man-things and man-beasts. Maybe the one you want is there."

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Annika's mouth hangs open in silent amazement at Jar'Thol's oath. How could he...what if...was he really that confident? Or did he simply not hold his oaths dear? At the wolf's words, she forces her mind back to the task. Done was done...she hadn't sworn the oath at least, though she'd try to help as she could. It pained her a bit to see such powerful and free animals...

Hunted?

She pauses in mid step, and turns to look at the alpha wolf with confusion.

"I don't understand something. Are your kind so persecuted by men? I mean, usually men and wolves so rarely meet...you each keep to your own. What is different here?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
[sblock="Annika"]
Charisma check 17 +3 =20
[/sblock]

The large black-furred wolf stares at Annika, sniffs.

"You are like the ape-man, part beast." it states. There is a long pause.

"We used to hunt upriver. The man-things came, cut down the trees, dug up the earth, drove away the food-beasts. Now we are here, but wherever we go it seems we cannot get away from man-things." There is no sign of emotion in its voice as it says this.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Three Flowers had been listening to the exchange silently. Standing still in a pose of a statue. Finally he opens his mouth. "Defilers of nature's beauty." he remarks as the wolf talks about those who wrecked their last "home". "I can't swear an oath for others but I swear I will do all I can to convince them to leave you alone, if you will do as you promised and leave them and their herds alone."

Dr Simon

Explorer
The pack leader cocks his head to one side as he listens to Three Flowers.

[sblock="Three Flowers"]
Diplomacy roll 19 +4 =23
[/sblock]

"Hm," it grunts, sounding unimpressed. "You wear a metal pelt. Other man-things will respect you more than they do us, perhaps." It stares at Three Flowers for a moment. "Since you are respectful of us, I'll tell you this, man-thing," it says finally. "The building at the end. It's empty, but we don't use it. Something about it smells... wrong." It gives a wolfish equivalent to a shrug. "Perhaps this is useful for you to know."

The Rolling Man

First Post
Jar'Thol, Salsham'ai shaman

"I'm sorry to hear that you have lost your former hunting grounds. Such seems to be the way of the humans, they feel an urge to expand, to grow. My own people have long ago learned to live with them instead of opposing them but such is not the way of the wolf. Like I said, I will do what I can to help you find a way to live besides these humans. Cormondal, from where we come, is downriver, and I don't think there will be much trouble convincing them to leave this old temple to you. However, I know little of the human that live upriver. Maybe I will have to travel there and convince them too."

Once the conversation with the beast is done, Jar'Thol will go explore exterior of the building pointed out by the wolf. He'll first try to find the possible entrances.

Walking Dad

First Post
Growling Ape, AC 15 (T15, FF13), HP 25/25, F +4,R+2,W+5

Ape is glad about the peaceful solution. "The vashti would be proud of me", he thinks.
Hearing the Salsham'ai's words he adds: "Let me help you. Two pairs of eyes are better than one."

Remove ads