• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Sands of Solaris - Chapter One

John E Smoke

First Post
Khalas steps forward and places a hand on the agitated man's shoulder, and says "Friend Tarim speaks true, sir. You must calm yourself, and take heart. You say our quest shall lead us all to our deaths, but how could any one of us possibly succeed if each of us has decided that we are destined to failure? Fate and luck are both fickle guides, my friend, and blind as well."

Leaning in closer and speaking much more gently, he adds "But if death is indeed your only certainty, ask yourself this: Would you rather die like a wimpering, masterless dog in the street, or step forward with bravery and die a hero?"

Khalas turns back to the door and motions to enter The Lady's Wait. "Come, friends! The food smells delicious!"

Phoenix

First Post
A roar of laughter leaves the lips of the crowd, followed by cheers for the noble heroes at Tarim's display. The man lying in the dirt is humbled and embarassed, his knife dipping towards the ground in shame at his 'performance'.

Women watching from the windows of buildings nearby flutter white cloths at the valiant figure amongst the crowd, Tarim's natural charisma affecting many nearby.

The lithe form of Khalas, one hand resting upon the man's shoulder causes him to look up in anger. Upon the kind words spoken to him, his face changes, not into a beacon of hope, his foolishness not allowing him to see that yet. But the anger dissapates as he sees the look in Khalas's eyes, and as the crowd cheers and follows you all into The Lady's Wait he shuffles in, last.

Within a toast is raised to the brave heroes of Alspinar, though none offer to buy any of you a drink, superstition and tradition weighing heavily in the room. At the rear of the room you see a dusty man with an ale raised in hand (instead of a knife), joining in the toast.

As the mugs fall, the man gingerly makes his way through the crowd, approaching the group. Standing before Tarim he spits in his hand and holds it before him, "I am called Renath, and though I doubt that either one of us will be alive this time next year, I would rather be your friend than your High Priest."

OOC: Tarim - Diplomacy DC24, Khalas - Diplomacy DC17.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Tarim smiles smugly as he walks through the crowd, giving the women in paticular a wave and a wink. He sits down and orders a fine meal- he won't be able to maintain this sort of living for long, but it wouldn't look good for him to makes such a speech and order less than the best.

Tarim unhesitatingly takes the hand. And I'd rather a friend than an enemy, as long as I've got the rest of the crowd on my side. "Come, Renath. Order some food and we will eat together." He gestures. "These are my companions." He leaves them to introduce themselves.

Last edited:

Phoenix

First Post
Renath bows slightly to the group as a whole, though shows no confidence and still looks quite embarrassed from his display in the street. For a moment he seems in two minds about something, before haf-blurting forth:

"Many thanks to you all, for I see know that though my future is not that of my own choosing, it is one filled with Solaris' warmth. I shall seek Solaris, as I must, but I am perplexed upon which path I shall take. Since this is no competition, for any of us will lead our people to glory, what path do you take?"

Solaris Tip #3: The closer travellers move towards Solaris, the less effective heavier armours become in combat. Long drawn out combats and travelling exhausts fighters and gives their opponents potentially fatal openings in combat.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"We haven't really decided. I suppose you could say we need to know more." Tarim shrugs. "My first thought was to raise some funds. I have no doubt that coin will ease our journey, and my own reserves will not last long. Since no one is allowed to aid our quest, I see no reason not to seek employment of the sort only a group of our talents could perform." Violence Tarim thinks dryly to himself, is probably involved at some point.

John E Smoke

First Post
Khalas does not speak for a while, absorbed as he is in the drink and culinary delights before him, but finally snaps to attentionl

"I agree that funding our journey is important. As for the true quest itself, I am firm in my belief that we should first seek to discover the fate of those who walked before us."

As he takes another deep drought from his mug, he realises that he has yet to introduce himself. "Ah! I am sorry, let me introduce myself. I am Khalas, from the distant Order Nulas Sellena... ah, I suppose the Unmovable Shadow would be the best translation of it."

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
"I see no reason not to seek employment of the sort only a group of our talents could perform."[/i]
"My thoughts exactly. My family business is caravan guarding. I may be able to find us work quickly." Djamir says looking at Renath with a look of both pitty and relief. "I wonder what he has been through to be in such a state and whether he will be in that state again after the dishonoring has eased in his mind."

Phoenix

First Post
"Guarding caravans?" Renath's eyes spark ever-so-slightly at the suggestion of Djamir's family business. "But I have heard that dwarves such as yourself live in mighty cities, tolerating a heat twelvefold stronger than that subjected to the cities of the Twelve Kingdoms. I had heard you were all loremasters or sages, not simple mercenaries."

The confused look on the deluded man's face does not lessen as he continues. "I can help you if you need work, surely we chosen can assist each other and not break with tradition? My brother is the captain of a group of mercenaries that guard caravans in the kingdom, perhaps I can introduce you to him, after you've rested of course."

Argent Silvermage

First Post
"No. If you want to come with us that is your affair. I however will not tolerate anything that could be considered aid from another." The Dwarven magi eats a bit of spiced beef and continues. "If I sound combative or gruff blame it on my wanting to start this journey off on the right foot. I have reservations about taking a person with us that was not part of the initial group. Speaking of which.. What ever happened to the group you were assigned to?"
Djamir seems to have been holding his tongue but is now in a more talkitive mood. "How can we be sure you are not from a group who has chosen to see all other groups as competition and something to be eliminated?"

Phoenix

First Post
Renath steps back at Djamir's comments, his face showing an unreadable emotion (perhaps surprise?). He easily puts his mug on the table and tips his head somewhat humbly at the dwarf.

"Good sir, my group were all suicidal, they wished to head straight into the Deserts of Solaris itself. The centre of the world is not a place that people such as us should travel unprepared, and my fear brew cowardice, so I fled."

"As for my assistance, I have offered as a trade for the motivation that you have given me, see it as a trade rather than assistance. If you still do not wish my help though, I will wish you a good cycle of the year and a thousand blessings to litter the path you shall tread."

Remove ads