• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Sands of Solaris - Chapter One

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Tarim pauses and considers. They are going to become caravan guards- but the question is, with whom? He has no desire to slight either Djamir or Renath by choosing the other's relatives. Djamir seems less easily offended, and Renath's friendship is more tenuous, but frankly Tamir thinks that Djamir's people are likely much, much richer.

"So," he says as they pause to reflect, "We could flip a coin..."

Phoenix

First Post
Fumbling with a small copper common in one hand, Tarim tosses it high into the air, allowing the light of Solaris to gleam from its surface and decide their fate. It was easily agreed that Djamir's family would be represented by the pressing of the sun, while the face of the Caliph would represent Renath's kin.

OOC: Tossing a coin here...

Landing flatly in the dust, the group stares at the image of Solaris looking up at them, almost winking with irony. Djamir's kin winning the day, you strike out across town to the caravan camp on the south side of the city, outside the city walls.

Dozens of caravans rest in the dust and dry grass, coupled by more camels and horses than any thief could possibly sell in a year. Men dart through gaps in tents, passed horses, and around each other, as they ready the many wagons for the long journeys thaey have ahead of them. It seems that not all of the wagons belong to the same master, and you realize that finding a ride anywhere may not be a difficult as once thought.

Solaris Tip #5: Many creatures of the inner lands lurk in dark places far underground, or hide amongst the many oasises that lure an unwary traveller to his doom.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Djamir smiles broadly. Thank the sun he thinks to himself I was worried about this outcome.
"Well my friends. I say we pack and head out to the Caravan staging area. I'm sure we will find work and travel there. May Solaris watch over us all."

Phoenix

First Post
Wandering through the camps of the wagoneers, it takes you but minutes to spot the easily recognizable forms of dwarves drinking chilled water from glass flagons beneath an elegant tent in the middle of the organized chaos.

Dressed in expensive silks and with polished jewelry dangling from their necks, arms and head, they look rather odd for caravan guards.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Phoenix said:
Wandering through the camps of the wagoneers, it takes you but minutes to spot the easily recognizable forms of dwarves drinking chilled water from glass flagons beneath an elegant tent in the middle of the organized chaos.

Dressed in expensive silks and with polished jewelry dangling from their necks, arms and head, they look rather odd for caravan guards.
Djamir smiles and says in Dwarven, "Greetings and Salutations dear cousins. My band and I are looking to hire on to a caravan headed towards the Iridian tower. We have decided our journy lay in that direction."

Phoenix

First Post
Smiles spread quickly across the dwarven faces, openly showing their pleasure at meeting another of their kind so far from home. The eldest of the group of six steps forward and grasps Djamir's hand firmly.

"Greetings dear cousin I am Thyrian, we had heard that the blessings of Solaris had been given to one of our own this year. We had not expected to meet the famous Djamir before we left the city though, it is good that you came."

"You are more than welcome to assist the caravan upon which we travel, we must drop several urns of spices at the Iridian Towers during our journey. But before we talk of such things, you must introduce your companions!"

Thyrian turns to face the rest of the group in expectation, awaiting pleasantries and greetings. Before a word can escape from anyone's mouth a loud thudding WHOMPH echoes through the wagons, followed by a great cloud of dust and sand that quickly encompasses the entire area.

Through the chaos you notice that one of the wagons that the dwarves were stading by has disappeared, as well as one of their number. Coughing, choking, and calls for help clutter the air as Thyrian calls to his brethren, unheard.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Coughing out sand and grit Djamir yells "Is anyone hurt? Some one call the healers!" He races over to where the caravan was expecting to see a whole in the ground that sucked it up.

Remove ads