The Shackled City - Golarion Interest/Recruitment (CLOSED)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Looks like Val's childhood would have been spent very close to the lake - that's where the seediest parts of town are. Do you have any information on specific neighborhoods there, or am I free to make something from whole cloth? Alternatively, I could wait to write that part of his story, 'discovering' it for myself as we play; however, this would only work if we'll be doing some adventuring down there.

His adopted parents - the only one's he'll remember at the start of the game - would be from a little farther up the caldera, so the question applies for their inn and neighborhood as well.

Finally, it sounds as though Val's parents - and thus Val - could have a connection to 'The Cardinal' and the Drunken Morkoth Inn. Can I write such a connection into his history? If so, the Cardinal's inn could be the place the characters - at least some of them - met.

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Tiefling Rogue - -Svexyn

Svexyn had been born into the house of ___, who had been on the rise in Cauldron. Seventeen years ago, a baby was born. When the birth occurred, only the family physician and a trusted nurse were present. The baby was unmistakeably cursed with fiendish blood, for there were vestigial horns on its head when it came into this world. Small scales on the forearms could also be seen, as the physician and nurse knew not what to do.

The physician knew that this child would ruin the family. They were a family now on the cusp of increased reputation and status. This would bring them back down and out of the contention to be one of the leading families of Cauldron. The physicians status was that of which house he was working for. Looking at the mother, he simply wrapped the baby in a cloth, handed it to the nurse and guided her to the next empty room.

The nurse was told to take the baby to the servants' entrance out the back, and dispose of the baby. Not sure on what to do, the nurse did as she was told. The mother was told by the physician that the baby had died. The nurse, instead, took the child to her sister near the center of Cauldron. Knowing her sister had lost a child not just a few weeks earlier, this might be the chance the child would have to live.

Svexyn grew up in the slums, shunned for their looks and obvious lineage. Constantly having to fend alone, Svexyn learned early on that he was truly one that had to rely on his own skills. His mother was a tailor, often sewing for what meager funds she could gather. He found enough of the leather scraps to even attempt to fashion himself come crude leather armor. The bullies in this area were always moving in packs of about four or five, so he tended to keep to himself, for it's easier to hide alone than with another, and was always on the move. He found that a moving target was harder to find.

Seeking to help out where he could, Svexyn learned a few skills with the locals. He helped when there were stuck doors, lost keys, and the like. He found he was adept at the intricate craft of locks and even traps, when they presented themselves. Now, seeing that his 'mother' was needing more help than ever, for her own work was dwindling, he seeks out any job that would pay enough for his skills. He does not know of his true family...

Tiefling Rogue Scout
Scout Archetype

Traits: Infernal Bastard (mandatory), Scarred Soul, Armor Expert

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Looks like Val and Svexyn might have run into one another at some point. Though Val lives a little higher up now and has no memory of his time closer to the lake, Svexyn may have been familiar enough with him to recognize him now. That may or may not be a good thing for Val, as there are those from the old neighborhood - the ones who beat him and left him for dead - who would likely be very interested to find out that he's still alive and kicking . . .

jkason

First Post
I think the character sheet on the Obsidian Portal website works out pretty well. Tell me what you guys think.

Valinnan Vapaus | Pathfinder RPG | Obsidian Portal

That one looks fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to repeat that formatting? I tried copying the template [MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION] linked to earlier, and the one for his PC you link to, but in both cases I have sort of a mess. Unlike a regular wiki, I can't seem to get any edit functions for other PC pages, so I can't see what bits of code I'm missing, and the tutorial video doesn't seem to address that kind of formatting. Help?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The OP wiki markup uses <pre> and </pre> where ENWorld uses [code] and [/code] tags. If you put <pre> at the top of your sheet and </pre> at the end, all of your columns will line up like you see 'em when you type.

The caveat is that no other tags will work within the 'pre' tags, so you can't underline, boldface, etc.

ahayford

First Post
Looks like Val's childhood would have been spent very close to the lake - that's where the seediest parts of town are. Do you have any information on specific neighborhoods there, or am I free to make something from whole cloth? Alternatively, I could wait to write that part of his story, 'discovering' it for myself as we play; however, this would only work if we'll be doing some adventuring down there.

His adopted parents - the only one's he'll remember at the start of the game - would be from a little farther up the caldera, so the question applies for their inn and neighborhood as well.

Finally, it sounds as though Val's parents - and thus Val - could have a connection to 'The Cardinal' and the Drunken Morkoth Inn. Can I write such a connection into his history? If so, the Cardinal's inn could be the place the characters - at least some of them - met.

You may. In fact, The Cardinal was written in with you in mind. Feel free to develop his character if you wish. I will add it to the wiki. Feel free to use the inn itself in any of your backstory. I can expand the physical description a bit.

ahayford

First Post
Looks like Val and Svexyn might have run into one another at some point. Though Val lives a little higher up now and has no memory of his time closer to the lake, Svexyn may have been familiar enough with him to recognize him now. That may or may not be a good thing for Val, as there are those from the old neighborhood - the ones who beat him and left him for dead - who would likely be very interested to find out that he's still alive and kicking . . .

Svexyn sounds like the kind of guy that avoided those types of people. I could easily see you two getting along if put together. Assuming Val can see past Svexyn's Tiefling heritage.

ahayford

First Post
[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION] and Fangor

I'm looking for some small hooks to link you into Cauldron as well as a noble house to have you descend from Fangor...or perhaps that should be a mystery :)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I could easily see you two getting along if put together. Assuming Val can see past Svexyn's Tiefling heritage.

And assuming Svexyn can see past Val's angelic blood ;). I was thinking along the same lines - always fun to toss both an Aasimar and a Tiefling into the same party :D. I don't think Val will be at all the stuffy sort. He was raised by parents who'd take in a filthy, bleeding street urchin even though they live and work in a part of town where their experiences with such are likely to have been . . . less than pleasant. It'll be interesting trying to find the balance between the instinctive dislike from his racial heritage and the generosity of spirit instilled by his upbringing.

(Assuming Fangor agrees) I could see their association playing a part in Val's emerging memories of his past as the game progresses; a catalyst of sorts.

Remove ads