West Gate
westwall2.jpg

East Gate
eastwall2.jpg

Overview
overviewl2.jpg

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Valinnan cringes as the crossbow bolt slams into beetle, and then into the cart. His surprise is enough to throw off his aim as he lunges forward with his rapier, but not enough to deter his newfound delight with the rush of battle, and proof that he's alive. "Attaboy, Orin! Just keep it between us so it's distracted and we'll take it together!"

[sblock=Actions]Rapier Attack (1d20+1=10) for a miss.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin, half-elf Magus

"All right, there's that entry blocked. Now we just need to take care of the bugs already here. Thank you, ladies, I'll do what I can to keep these monstrosities from you," Caytis says, charging the closest beetle with his weapon.

OOC: Hit enter before adding the note, but Caytis is making a charge attack:

1d20+5=14, 1d6=1

[sblock=mini-stats]
HP: 10/10 AC: 15(19) AC(T): 12 AC(FF): 13 Init: +02
BAB: 00 CMB/CMD: 00/12 ACP: -1 ASF: 00 Spot: +05

Conditions:
* Shield (+4 AC). 6/10 rounds remaining. Charge (-2 AC). Current AC: 17
* Arcane Enhancement: +1 melee attacks for 1 minute. 8/10 rounds remain

Saving Throw Total Base Mod Misc Special
Fort: 03 2 +1
Ref: 01 0 +2 -1*
Will: 03 2 +1

* -1 Reflex (Wyrm Blooded trait)
** Conditional: Immune sleep, +2 vs enchantments, +4 vs acid

Weapon Attack Damage Critical Special
Quadrens +2(+3) 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Quadrens, Spell Combat +0 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Composite Shortbow +2 1d6 20/x3 Range 70 ft.

* Conditional: +1 attack with Arcane Pool enhancement.

Arcane Pool: 4/5 remaining

Spells Prepared:
* 0 Level (3): Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Light
* 1st Level (2, DC 15): Shield, Shield[/sblock]

ahayford

First Post
West Wall

Marcus again manages to shake off the ravenous beetles before bringing his polearm to bear, scattering the remaining beetles across the courtyard. The swarm disperses, the remaining individual beetles finding the nearest object to hide beneath. Adofo crushes one beneath his heavy boot with a grunt.

Svexyn rushes to Val's aid, and flanks the beetle currently trying to take a bite out of Val's boot. His quick strikes against the distracted insect dispatch it quickly, while Orin pounds the reamining adult into paste with his heavy club.

North Wall

Caytis rush attach manages to barely clip a beetle on the side of the cart knocking it to the ground. As it tries to scurry away, Caytis's boot pins it to the ground before he runs the heavy blades of his quadren through its carapace. Tamecia's heavy staff bats the remaining beetle into the wall where it leaves an ochre stain before falling to the ground.

East Wall

Wilbur quickly closes the east gate against the horde of bugs circling around the output. The two doors slam shut, and several of the remaining porters help him lift the heavy bar into place.

The buzz of the swarm intensifies as it passes by the east gate, but then begins to diminish as the beetles head off into the jungle. Several screams are just audible on the edge of hearing, before the sounds of the swarm fade off into the humid night air. It seems, they have decided to seek out easier prey.

The defenders stop for a moment to catch their breath, thankful that they have survived the encounter, and saved the outpost.

[sblock=ooc]Obsidian Portal was down so I did not have access to character sheets. I decided to go ahead and end the encounter as success was basicly guaranteed at this point. Combat is over! Please let me know how you thought it ran and any suggestions. Please post in the OOC thread. Story will continue after everyone catches their breath. I thought I'd give you guys a chance to respond[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Marcus growls quietly as he checks his wounds from beetle-bites. He rests his polearm against the side of a cart as he feels the injuries. Seems like nothing major... thankfully.

[sblock=OOC]
It was interesting. Certainly a more intriguing and dynamic encounter than most turn out to be and I enjoyed it. Unusual setup, various objectives and a chance to try out some interesting, impromptu plans was pretty neat.

On to my quibbles... The Initiative list was waaaay bogged down. I think you could lump groups (particularly similar enemies/allies, like the multiple swarms/adult beetles/caravan guards) into group Init and cut down on the clutter and any turn-based confusion. Similarly, I don't think it was clear if combat in this game is supposed to be posts in Init order or just when you can...
Oh, and, this encounter reminded me why I hate swarms.
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Valinnan's chest heaves as he struggles to recover from the adrenaline rush of battle. Once he manages to still his breathing somewhat, he looks around at his peers in relief. "Well, I was about as useful as teats on a boar, there. An excellent job, my friends!" He takes more careful stock of the condition of the other patrons of the inn. "Anyone hurt? I have some small skill with healing and can possibly see to your wounds."

Shayuri

First Post
Nia sagged back against a wagon as adrenalin fled, leaving her weak and drained. Shelob pawed her ankle with a leg, and she stooped over to pick the spider up and place it on her shoulder. Shelob got nervous on the ground with so many people around.

She took a deep breath to try to control her wildly fluctuating emotions. They kept teetering between abject relief at having somehow cheated death, and livid rage at having been put in this situation to begin with. At first the rage seethed towards the idiot people in the inn who hadn't the sense of a beast to run before the swarm...but then Nia realized there was a deeper enemy at work here.

The fire beetles didn't do that for no reason. Someone, or something, had attacked their nest. Nothing natural would do that. Even the great predators knew better than to rouse a colony of beetles. Attack them singly, or in small groups when away from the nest, yes...but the nest itself? Suicide.

And it had just happened to move in the direction of the roadside inn. Coincidence?

She frowned deeply as she pushed away from the wagon and went to see if anyone needed help or healing.

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin, half-elf magus

Caytis yanked the quadrens from the belly of his beetle with a wet, slurping sound, and realizing the threat was over, sighed and smiled.

"Thank you for your help, ma'am," the scaly half-elf said. "I think you squished more than I did. I trust you and your girls are all right?"

Caytis surveyed the courtyard, littered with insect corpses and still-frightened people as he wiped the blades of his weapon clean and his magics dissipated.

[sblock=ooc]I'll join the "swarms can be a painful opponent" sentiments, but I think you juggled a very complicated scenario quite well.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
HP: 10/10 AC: 15 AC(T): 12 AC(FF): 13 Init: +02
BAB: 00 CMB/CMD: 00/12 ACP: -1 ASF: 00 Spot: +05

Conditions:

Saving Throw Total Base Mod Misc Special
Fort: 03 2 +1
Ref: 01 0 +2 -1*
Will: 03 2 +1

* -1 Reflex (Wyrm Blooded trait)
** Conditional: Immune sleep, +2 vs enchantments, +4 vs acid

Weapon Attack Damage Critical Special
Quadrens +2 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Quadrens, Spell Combat +0 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Composite Shortbow +2 1d6 20/x3 Range 70 ft.

* Conditional: +1 attack with Arcane Pool enhancement.

Arcane Pool: 4/5 remaining

Spells Prepared:
* 0 Level (3): Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Light
* 1st Level (2, DC 15): Shield, Shield[/sblock]

Remove ads