The Shackled City - Golarion Prelude

Shayuri

First Post
Nia, having fallen silent during the 'negotiations,' but never looking away from the proceedings as they went, asked the apparent matriarch one question.

"How long were you in dis city before dis curse fell on you?"

ahayford

First Post
The woman looks at Nia suspiciously...but then obviously decides she doesn't stand to lose anything by sharing the information.

My brood and I came to this place 6 months ago.

She doesn't seem willing to offer up any more information then that.

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin, half-elf magus

The Skulks believe this creature lairs in the Great Factory to the west. Bring me proof you have slain the creature and I will ensure the Skulks allow you free passage. [/color]

Caytis ignores any promise of a cure for now, following the Skulk's change of topic with an internal sigh of relief.

"And if we kill what the Skulks couldn't, we might just be worth adding to your list of allies, I imagine," he adds, raising his eyebrows.

[sblock=mini-stats]Caytis Maggerin
HP: 10/10 AC: 15(19) AC(T): 12 AC(FF): 13(17)
(values in parenthesis with Shield active)
Init: +02
BAB: 00 CMB/CMD: 00/12 ACP: -1 ASF: 00 Spot: +05

Conditions: none
In Hand: Quadrens

Saving Throw Total Base Mod Misc Special
Fort: 03 2 +1
Ref: 01 0 +2 -1*
Will: 03 2 +1

* -1 Reflex (Wyrm Blooded trait)
** Conditional: Immune sleep, +2 vs enchantments, +4 vs acid

Weapon Attack Damage Critical Special
Quadrens +2 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Quadrens, Spell Combat +0 1d6 19-20/x2 1 pt bleed on crit
Composite Shortbow +2 1d6 20/x3 Range 70 ft.

* Conditional: +1 attack with Arcane Pool enhancement.

Arcane Pool: 3/5 remaining

Spells Prepared:
* 0 Level (3): Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Light
* 1st Level (2, DC 15): Shield, Shield[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Nia nods thoughtfully. It was fortunate, she thought, that the symptoms did not just suddenly appear. It took time to set in. But what was causing it?

This was no affliction of venom or sap, nor a disease of the blood or skin or body. A magical curse, she thought. What would do that though, and with no announcement, no warning, no mercy? No discrimination.

Six months from healthy to this. She wondered if the gnomes had been slower.

She wondered a lot of things.

"I tink we ken help each odder," she said, "we not be here to defeat everyting in our path. Jus' to find de missing people."

ahayford

First Post
Yes yes...ever the noble heroes. However, do not think me naive enough to let you stomp through my territory without some kind of...insurance that you will do what you say you will.

The cloaked woman's eyes flash mischievously

I suggest a hostage...Leave one of your number to enjoy my...hospitality and I will grant you the free passage you desire. The hostage's freedom will be granted once I have received my cure. We'll consider the beast's demise a bonus.

She pauses for a moment, letting what she just said sink in.

Of course, if you don't trust me...There may be another option.

Somehow, you don't like the sound of that.

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin

Caytis feels a shiver run up his spine as the thin-skinned woman makes her offer.

"I'm not leaving anyone alone down here," he whispers to the others, though he doesn't presume to speak for them, especially considering the sinking feeling in his gut at the thought of what the creature might consider an 'alternative.'

Spells Prepared:

Walking Dad

First Post
Wilbur

"Not by the condition of finding a cure to them. Even if they are honest..."
Wilbur chimes in, after only listening for quite a while..

[sblock=OOC]

----

AC: 15
HP: 10 / 11

Spells: Bane, Murderous Command
1: 4/5

Gift of Madness: 5 / 6

Wilbur 2
Wilbur Warrington

[/sblock]

ahayford

First Post
You cannot see her mouth from behind her veil, but her eyes flash wickedly at you.

Children, bring me mother’s desk. Our new friends and I wish to sign a contract.

After a few minutes of shuffling and high pitched muttering, two short figures dressed in dirty rags emerge from the invisibility field carrying what appears to be a writing desk designed for a shorter humanoid...a gnome perhaps? Or a small human child? The dark creepers place the desk between you and their mistress with a deep thud that echoes throughout the stone halls. A third creeper drags a small chair behind him, placing it in front of the desk before scuttling back to the safety of the field.

The desk seems simple enough. It appears to be constructed of a simple cherry wood, likely imported from the surface. A small copper reservoir is located on each each side of the desk, in the center of which is a lone silvery pin. A copper channel leads from each reservoir to a dry glass inkwell built into the hardwood. A stack of parchment sits in the center of the desk.

The strange woman pushes the petite chair aside, and instead chooses to sit on the stone floor. She unwinds a small bit of fabric from her hand, exposing a finger tip. She delicately pricks her finger on one of the silvery pins without so much as a flinch. Her dark red blood runs down the length of the pin and flows down the channel to drip into the thirsty inkwell.

I, Yuathyn, do pledge to grant the below signed free passage through my realm, save my personal quarters, in exchange for the below signed delivering unto me a cure to the disease which plagues me.

In addition, I will serve as a negotiator with Stalker clan of Jzadirune on their behalf should they manage to slay the beast which haunts their territory.

The words appear as if transcribed by a ghostly scribe on the top piece of parchment. As the letters appear, the blood level in the inkwell seems to slowly go down.

Should the below signed fail to find a cure, they shall forfeit lives, as all oathbreakers deserve.

Signed, Yuathyn.

She motions to the first in your group and points to the pin on your side of the desk.

If you wish passage, you will prick your finger and sign my contract. Quite a useful artifact these gnomes left behind. A contract that enforces itself....I require that all of your number sign.

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin, half-elf magus

Caytis' jaw clenched as the transparent-skinned woman made her counter-offer. This was what he got for trying to play games of guile and manipulation. He'd scoffed at the wizards of the academy for all their hoops and politics, and now he'd managed to land himself in an even more convoluted--and potentially deadly--mess after denouncing them.

The black-scaled half-elf closed his eyes a moment, gathering his composure.

"Everyone dies," he whispered to re-assure himself. Then he stepped forward and grabbed the pin. While he had a fair amount of composure, he still hissed slightly at the pinprick. He held his finger out so that the channel could collect the dark-stained drippings of the wound. Then, following Yuathyn's example, he said, quietly and with forced calm and pained smile, "Signed, Caytis Maggerin."

Spells Prepared:

Remove ads