The Sunless Citadel (OOC)

Boddynock

First Post
I've made some changes to my barbarian. I wasn't really happy with the greatsword in what is basically a 'viking' culture - Norse, really - so I've changed it to a greataxe, since axes were typical of Viking warriors, and I wanted to retain the big hitting motif.

I've also reworked his stats and skills a bit, and filled out the background. I'll repost the character in the Rogue's Gallery when you set up a thread.

'Nock

Code:
Name:           Hunolf Hjordsson
Class:          Barbarian 1 (Ice Barbarian)
Race:           Human
Size:           Medium
Alignment:      Chaotic Good
Deity:          Kord

Str: 14 +2      Level:  1      XP:          0
Dex: 12 +1      BAB:    +1     HP:          15
Con: 16 +3      Grapple:+2     Dmg Red:     nil
Int: 12 +1      Speed:  40'    Spell Res:   nil
Wis: 10 +0      Init:   +1     Spell Save:  n/a
Cha: 10 +0      ACP:    -0     Spell Fail:  0%

Base   Armor   Shld   Dex   Size   Nat   Misc   Total
Armor:   10     +4      +0     +1    +0     +0    +0     15
Touch:   11     Flatfooted:    14

Saves:   Base   Mod     Misc   Total
Fort:    +2     +3      +0     +5
Ref:     +0     +1      +0     +1
Will:    +0     +0      +0     +0

Weapon          Attack  Damage       Critical
Dagger          +3      1d4+2        19-20/x2
Dagger, thrown  +2      1d4+2        19-20/x2
Greataxe        +4      1d12+3       x3
.1pt Power Attk +3      1d12+5       x3
Shortbow        +1      1d6          x3

Languages:      Common
                Dwarven

Abilities:      Fast Movement (40 ft)
                Favoured class: any
                Illiteracy
                Rage (1/day)

Feats:   Power Attack
         Weapon Focus (Greataxe)

Skill Points:   24      Max Ranks:   4/2
Skills                  Ranks  Mod   Misc  Total
Climb                   +4     +2    -2*   +4
Intimidate              +4     +0    +0    +4
Listen                  +4     +0    +0    +4
Spot                    +2.0   +0    +0    +2	
Survival                +4     +0    +0    +4
Swim                    +4     +2    -4**  +2

*  Amor check penalty
** 2 x armor check penalty

Equipment:                           Cost  Weight
Arrows (20)                            1gp  3lb
Backpack                               2gp  2lb
Bedroll                                1sp  5lb
Chain shirt (Salmonskin)             100gp 25lb
Dagger                                 2gp  1lb
Explorer’s outfit                      -gp  -lb
Flint & steel                          1gp  -lb
Greataxe (Hrungar’s Kiss)             20gp 12lb
Rations, trail (per day) x4            2gp  4lb
Shortbow                              30gp  2lb
Torch x4                               4cp  4lb
Waterskin                              1gp  4lb

Money: 1gp 8sp  7cp (0.32lb)

Total Weight:   58.32lb (light load)

Light   Med    Heavy       Lift  Push
Max Weight:     0-59    60-117 117-174     174   870

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 180lb
Eyes: blue
Hair: blonde
Skin: tanned
Appearance: Tall and tanned from outdoor living, with hair bleached blonde by the sun, Hunolf Hjordsson is the archetypal Ice Barbarian. His voice is deep, with a Northern burr to it, and his laughter roars out at the slightest cause. Only one subject wipes away his ready smile – the treachery of Hraggi Oathbreaker.

Background: Hunolf is rarely seen without his great axe close to hand. Hrungar’s Kiss was the birthgift his father, Hjord Hrungarsson, laid beside his firstborn son, just as Salmonskin was laid alongside his twin brother, Hreir.

Hrungar’s Kiss - his grandfather’s greataxe - was feared throughout the northern reaches, and as a boy Hunolf would struggle to wield the heavy weapon as a hero should. Hreir would laugh at him and flash, shimmering, through the martial dance of an Ice Barbarian warrior, Salmonskin seemingly his own hide, his slender blade singing in the air as he sought the weak points of an imaginary foe’s armour.

Hunolf would laugh with him, and watch, entranced, then turn again to his own heavier dance of death with the fearsome foeman.

Although he nearly took his own leg off once or twice, his father never forbade him the blade for, as he said, a warrior’s weapon should be more familiar to his hands than his wife was. Hunolf nodded and learned, glad to have such sage advice – but he also smiled to himself when he realized that his father never said this when his mother was around.

The boys’ education continued apace, and all would have been well with the house of Hjord, if only Hraggi Oathbreaker had not decided to lair in the region of their longhouse. This Hraggi was a traitor to the Kingdom of the Cruski, having helped the Stonehold scum to defeat His Most Ferocious Majesty, Lolgoff Bearhear in a massed battle. Hraggi fled, and on his way to Stonehold to claim his reward, encountered the boys as they were out hunting. Laying an ambush, he and his men attacked the unsuspecting lads, who were in advance of the rest of the party. Hraggi himself struck down Hreir, who was holding off two of his men.

It was as he saw his brother die that Hunolf discovered that he was a baresark, one of the raging warriors rightly feared by all who opposed them. With an inhuman scream, he sprang forward and cut down one of the companions of Hraggi, then wounded the other nigh to death. Then, as he was raising Hrungar’s Kiss to deal death to the man writhing in agony on the ground, his head exploded with a bright white light that banished the red haze of rage, then was itself banished by unknowing blackness.

He awoke to find Hraggi and his remaining men fled, the other members of the hunting party in full hue and cry around him, and Hreir lying dead upon the mold.

Hraggi disappeared after that – reportedly seen once in Stonehold, and then no more by any man Hunolf could find in his travels. For he had left home and family, left land and lord, on a sworn quest to find his foe, cut him down, and eat the still-warm heart from his corpse. And as an earnest of that, Hunolf had sworn that no other meat should pass his lips, until he made a meal of Hraggi’s heart.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Strahd_Von_Zarovich said:
Glad to meet ya again nock
Hope you are ready to meet my grumpy and "cursed with arcane power" dwarf
Ready and willing - and a reluctant wizard and a barbarian who doesn't really trust magic should be an interesting mix! :D

'N

Malvoisin

First Post
Grimror,

Are we assuming that the party of four has been together awhile, and knows one another very well?

Or, would we be more recent acquaintances?

Grimror

First Post
Good idea, Strahd. I'll have one up shortly.

I kind of assumed you guys would be newly acquainted (a dwarf, a halfling, an elf, and a human), but I'll leave it up to you guys to decide whether you have been together for a while or not. I kind of just threw you into the adventure, as it's quite simply a dungeon crawl adventure and you already know everything you need to know from the little introduction above. Your characters have obviously had time to introduce themselves to eachother at the very least and at most, they're childhood friends, blood-related, etc. You guys could even combine backgrounds if you'd like.

Grimror

First Post
Dice Rolling

When it comes to rolling dice, my only preference is that you are doing what works for you. If you want to use an online dice roller and link me the results, great. If you just want to roll your own dice on your desk, that works too. If you want me to roll the dice for you, all I ask is that you include neccessary modifiers, like your attack bonus, your initiative, your skill modifier, etc.

I hope this settles that issue. Game on!

Remove ads