The Walking Dead 4.2 "Infected" (spoiler alert)

On The Talking Dead show they had the guy that does their zombie especial effects. He said the new virus was based on a virus that had gone around in 1918 or so. He said it was a virus that didn't kill the elderly nor the real young, but instead it killed off those in the middle; the ones you would expect to survive because the tend to be the healthiest and have stronger immune symptoms. It sounds a lot like the Spanish Flu. Even the symptoms seem to fit pretty well.

Edit: Well that went all derp. For some reason I couldn't sblock the symptoms.

in any case, here they are:
The Symptoms of the Spanish Flu

The victims of the 1918 Spanish flu suffered greatly. Within hours of feeling the first symptoms of extreme fatigue, fever, and headache, victims would start turning blue. Sometimes the blue color became so pronounced that it was difficult to determine a patient's original skin color. The patients would cough with such force that some even tore their abdominal muscles. Foamy blood exited from their mouths and noses. A few bled from their ears. Some vomited; others became incontinent.

The Spanish flu struck so suddenly and severely that many of its victims died within hours of coming down with their first symptom. Some died a day or two after realizing they were sick.
Not surprisingly, the severity of the Spanish flu was alarming. People around the world worried about getting it. Some cities ordered everyone to wear masks. Spitting and coughing in public was prohibited. Schools and theaters were closed.
People also tried their own homemade prevention remedies, such as eating raw onions, keeping a potato in their pocket, or wearing a bag of camphor around their neck. None of these things stemmed the onslaught of the Spanish flu's deadly second wave.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
People forget how dangerous flu can be.

As a teenager, I knew a young man in his twenties who was healthy as a horse. Got a nasty flu bug. Nothing like the ones that cause the pandemics, just one of the garden-variety annual flus. But it lingered. And eventually, the virus decided to take an unusual side-trip, migrated to his cardiac system and attacked his heart.

At age 28, this guy who had been a roughneck in an oil-rig in the gulf died waiting for a heart transplant.

Even a simple flu could cause havoc in tight quarters like the prison...and if the affliction is, indeed, one of he nastier flus...

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The virus does feel a bit like the monster of the week though. In two or three episodes the guvnor will probably be back, with a vengeance.

Janx

Hero
This was discussed during The Talking Dead. While it's one way to get the zombies away from the fence, it can also attract other zombies. Additionally, it can attract other humans, which they really aren't too keen on doing.

I'm thinking not everybody here is watching Talking Dead after each episode. I'd hate to think it's required, but it sure is handy.

The kids didn't feed the zombies, because the flashlight angle was too high, unless the lugged a ladder out there to do it. So it's expected to be an adult who's doing it.

From episode one:

The "not right in the head" girl didn't name Nick. That was the name on a badge on his shirt. Thus, the girl called him Nick. Which then instigated the other kids to start naming the other zombies (not realizing where she got the name from).

Carl, having just been chastized by his dad for naming the pigs, goes alpha-kid on them and lectures them on not naming the zombies. Because he's so experienced, and when he tries to boost his credentials by challenging them on "have you ever killed one", he's shot down by the girl who says yes. Because really, at this point, who hasn't killed a zombie? Pretty much nobody.

What's lost by a chunk of audience from that scene is that the girl is realizing that these nameless hordes did indeed have names. they were people. This scene is chock full of symbolism and stuff.

Anyway, watch Talking Dead, get extra details and clarifications.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyway, watch Talking Dead, get extra details and clarifications.

No. If your show needs footnotes* to make itself understandable, you're doin' it wrong. Every time it requires reference to some other sow or online resource for the show to understand what's going on, I take that as a knock against the show. When the exterior resource becomes required, I stop watching.

*Technically, they'd be endnotes, I suppose.

I don't think it's required to watch The Talking Dead. Watching it does give you extra information about the show. Even so, most of the information you get from the show is information that you can figure out on your own. They do have some cool segments on the special effects and the filming of certain scenes. Its a fun show to watch.

Jet Shield

First Post
It's hardly required. Anyone who pays attention would have noticed those details, but let's face it, the vast majority of people these days are too lazy to pay attention to details. They don't want to think beyond "Huh Huh. Zombie die." If you're too lazy to pay attention, don't knock the show.

Talking Dead is interesting in itself for the behind-the-scenes stuff and the often silly comments by the guests.

Janx

Hero
No. If your show needs footnotes* to make itself understandable, you're doin' it wrong. Every time it requires reference to some other sow or online resource for the show to understand what's going on, I take that as a knock against the show. When the exterior resource becomes required, I stop watching.

*Technically, they'd be endnotes, I suppose.

I don't disagree with that as a general rule. But how many people didn't see the half second glimpse of a name badge on a zombie to transform that scene into something deeper than foolish kids naming zombies.

Heck, you had to point out to somebody that Michone was likely crying over her own lost child or somesuch to somebody who didn't get that from the scene.

They talked about that scene on TD, and he would have been on the same page as you.

Remove ads