The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper pauses and looks between the creature, Midian, and Doral. Was there communication going on she wasn't privy to?

"Doral," she said, her voice strange and distorted underwater, "Can you understand this thing?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
Meanwhile, Kraken hauls himself out of the water onto one of the catwalks. Once he's reasonably sure that it's safe, he offers his hand to Doral, the least adapted to water of his three friends.

"Come on mate," he says. "Try it on dry land eh?"

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral seems shaken as he takes Kraken's hand and joins him on the cat walk. He answers Whisper in a loud enough voice for her to hear him underwater, "The swimming being below us possesses a powerful intelligence, and with it a profound arrogance and sense of superiority. Yet despite its strength, it finds itself in awe and fear of the creature that we have had numerous encounters. The beast we fight is part of a shared hive mind which devours the minds of others and adds their knowledge to itself. The beast is now considering how it will devour our swimming being below us, and so our large swimmer wants us to help it escape through some rift. I am unsure whether this rift in question is dimensional or mechanical, but I may ask. I am of the mind that we should help it, as what is bad for the creature that hunts us may help in the future, but I am also loathe in taking dangerous actions without something tangible in return."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"I think Kraken has the right idea," gurgles elemental-Midian to Whisper. "I don't imagine water blocks Doral's mental communication, and from the catwalk, I can at least increase the distance between us and our new, arrogant friend. Its tentacles may still reach, though. I'm not sure."

Midian waits until Whisper has exited the water before flowing up and onto the catwalk himself, ready to try pushing the water in the room down to gain some distance if the mental negotiations go awry.

[sblock=ooc]Midian has Control Water as a domain spell, which would normally lower the water level by 16'. I'm not sure how this would work in a room feeding from the elemental plane, nor am I sure about what kind of reach the creature below might have, but it's a corner/niche enough spell that he probably won't be hurting if it's ineffectual.

So, he'll delay until Whisper gets out, then move up onto the catwalk, readying Control Water against any aggressive action by the big fish and leaving the negotiating to those more inclined in that direction.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 82/66 (+16 from Water Elemental con bump)      
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Darkvision 60', fly 60 (perfect), Reflex save: +8
[b]Medium Water Elemental:[/b] AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Midian: Wild Shape (Medium Water Elemental) (8 hours).
 Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours), 
 Doral & Kraken: Water Breathing (8 hours each)
 Kraken: Freedom of Movement (80 minutes)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3 (Wildshape: 0)    
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

[b]Surge:[/b] 9/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : [s]Freedom of Movement[/s], Dispel Magic, **Ball Lightning, Control Water (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 2/3 remaining

Used: Scroll of Water Breathing[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"Better it escape now than we have to fight it later, full of worms," Whisper agrees. "Ask it what it wants us to do."

She swims to the surface and starts climbing out of the water as well.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Yeah, what she said," says Kraken. "Rats and people are one thing but I don't fancy taking on some kind of sea monster full of those tentacles. I say we free it, eh?" He points to the vortex nodes. "Those kind of look like chains, of water. Reckon we need to shut them down somehow, eh? Doral mate, see if your friend knows what to do."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Henrick waves at you from the other side of the glass divider. You can't hear him, but it looks like he is gesturing towards the panels on the walls near the catwalk. There are two large scissor switches, one for each panel, set on opposite sides of the walkway. He makes a pulling gesture. Looking at the panels you can see they are protected by a removable glass panel. In large red lettering are the words "DANGER: RELEASE SWITCH".

Below you in the water the creature swirls the water violently with its tentacles in its impatience. It responds to Doral:

Doral (all can read since he'll likely relay it to you)
[SBLOCK]
"Expand/Widen/Open the rift! Disrupt anchors and weaken the path of worlds."
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"So, does this release widen the rift?" Midian asks no one in particular. "If not, I'm not sure what we'd want to do, and it looks like Heinrich can't hear ... oh!" something occurs to the druid.

"Whisper, you have a cantrip that can color things, don't you? While Doral maintains his mental contact, would you be able to use that to write a message on the glass? Heinrich seems to know a lot more about how all this works."

[sblock=ooc]Seems like a reasonable use for Prestidigitation. At least, I don't remember a "scrawl crayon words on glass" spell that it would be emulating. :) [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 82/66 (+16 from Water Elemental con bump)      
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Darkvision 60', fly 60 (perfect), Reflex save: +8
[b]Medium Water Elemental:[/b] AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Midian: Wild Shape (Medium Water Elemental) (8 hours).
 Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours), 
 Doral & Kraken: Water Breathing (8 hours each)
 Kraken: Freedom of Movement (80 minutes)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3 (Wildshape: 0)    
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

[b]Surge:[/b] 9/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, Ant Haul, Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, Spider Climb (Communal), **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : [s]Freedom of Movement[/s], Dispel Magic, **Ball Lightning, Control Water (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 2/3 remaining

Used: Scroll of Water Breathing[/sblock]

Remove ads