The Year of Drizzt? (20th Anniversary)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Zaukrie said:
Heaven forbid that WotC take it's most marketable commodity and use it to get PR for that commodity and their other games. More marketing = good for D&D. More appearances in non-gaming stores = good for D&D.

So true. Drizzt has been the Michael Jordan of D&D. They should definitely make the most of it.

I'm wondering what RPG products they can possibly do with him, though, that haven't already been covered.

Underdark hardcover...check.
Drow of the Underdark...check.

Nearly every other character, creature, and locale that featured prominently in the books has made some sort of appearance in 3E.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Luckily for some of us "Worldwide D&D Day" is generally only worldwide insofar as it covers North America - so those of us outside of the US and Canada will at least be spared some of the madness of the coming of the end times twinking one and only origin of the cliche twinky dark elf.

That said I'll buy the minis no matter - although am I the only person who thinks that Icingdeath is a bit of a **** disappointing name for a great big supposedly ferocious and scary dragon ?

Glyfair

Explorer
Shade said:
I'm wondering what RPG products they can possibly do with him, though, that haven't already been covered.

They could do an adventure. There are a few ways it could work.

One possibility would be to use the plot of one of the recent books for the basic structure of the adventure. Have Drizzt and crew make a cameo or cameos in the adventure (only a problem for those groups with psycho players who feel they have to kill famous NPCs if they see them), but focus it on the players.

Mycanid

First Post
Clarification here ... I do not DISLIKE Drizz't per se. I am just wondering what will happen as a result of the advertising campaign to DnD in general.

It could be argued whether more marketing or more appearances of DnD related material in non-rpg stores would be a good thing. Of course it could go either way ....

But that is what makes me curious. I wonder which way things will go IF it does have an impact outside the gamer audience?

Glyfair

Explorer
Mycanid said:
It could be argued whether more marketing or more appearances of DnD related material in non-rpg stores would be a good thing. Of course it could go either way ....
How can it be bad?

I can only see two POVs where this could be negative. One would be concern it would draw attention from the anti-D&D religious zealots of the 80's. For me this wouldn't be an issue, but there are groups that would be concerned about this attention. There have been a number of recent letters in Dungeon from gamers concerned about having to defend having certain issues with what they consider questionable content.

The other POV is from the somewhat elitist player concerned about bringing the "wrong element" to the game. I've never really understood this, except in extreme cases (I'd rather not have the serial killers who make headlines known to be D&D players, myself). If it's a group of players whose play style I don't like, I just won't play with them (at least not more than once).

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't mind, personally, because I loved Drizzt's stories when I was younger - even if every fan seemed to overdo copying him to death with their PCs for the longest time. :D

But Drizzt, Artemis Entreri, Catti-Brie, Wulfgar, Bruenor? Old Family friends, to me. I loved reading about them, and still do. Which reminds me, I need to catch up with the whole 10,000 orcs cycle sometime - the first of those books have long been in paperback since then...

Zaukrie

New Publisher
IIRC, D&D sales skyrocketed in the 70's when the religious zealots said it was evil. That kind of PR couldn't be paid for (of course, I could be remembering wrongly).

JoeGKushner

First Post
Henry said:
I don't mind, personally, because I loved Drizzt's stories when I was younger - even if every fan seemed to overdo copying him to death with their PCs for the longest time. :D

But Drizzt, Artemis Entreri, Catti-Brie, Wulfgar, Bruenor? Old Family friends, to me. I loved reading about them, and still do. Which reminds me, I need to catch up with the whole 10,000 orcs cycle sometime - the first of those books have long been in paperback since then...

There's an omnibus hardcover that at Amazon.com or another seller, you can probably get for the price of the three paperbacks. (Unless you're getting those used of course.)

Glyfair

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
There's an omnibus hardcover that at Amazon.com or another seller, you can probably get for the price of the three paperbacks. (Unless you're getting those used of course.)
Given the number of novels related to Drizzt that are supposed to be released next year (four, since one will be released every quarter), I would expect a number of compilations to be released as well.

William drake

First Post
See the Who likes this stupid character posts

AHGHJJHHHHH...its all I can do not to %$##%^..sorry, had to get a few out.

Read the posts about why people do, and don't like this lame cardboard, 2D, angst-filled, I'm too cool for anyone to get me, verb driven, hack'n slash, action blunder.

Thanks.

Remove ads