The Year of Drizzt? (20th Anniversary)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:
But with geeks there's a different mentality: It's not cool to like something the majority likes.

That's not with all geeks. Only the idiots among geeks. They're suprisingly many of those around. Surprisingly because the average geek is supposed to be smarter than the average person (less sportsmen here, more with the academical bent, and so on).

But of course they probably only seem so many, because they shout loudest (probably because back in the day, our primate ancestors had to drown out each others's shouts. The ape who shouts loudest wins. And idiots aren't quite on the same evolutional step as everyone else... ;) )

Most will probably know that the best way to form an opinion is to see for yourself, not let yourself be brainwashed by others.

Zaukrie said:
I've never understood the Drizz't hate on this site.

Well, this site is part of the internet, so it's subject to many of the internet's little rules. The internet has always been a breeding ground for hatred.

Maybe ENWorld is not quite as obnoxious as the Wizards boards, but since it's still part of the internet, it's still a place where hate is expressed freely, the hateful view forced upon everyone who isn't fast enough with the Ignore List.

Which is a handy thing: See someone acting like a jerk about something, put him on the I-List, problem solved. Always works for me.

Henry said:
I don't mind, personally, because I loved Drizzt's stories when I was younger - even if every fan seemed to overdo copying him to death with their PCs for the longest time. :D

I still call BS on that stuff. The "Drizzt Clone Phenomenon" is a myth, just like the Loch Ness Monster and the city of Bielefeld.

But Drizzt, Artemis Entreri, Catti-Brie, Wulfgar, Bruenor? Old Family friends, to me. I loved reading about them, and still do. Which reminds me, I need to catch up with the whole 10,000 orcs cycle sometime - the first of those books have long been in paperback since then...

I liked those. But if you're a fan of Entreri (And Jarlaxle), get the Sellswords Trilogy (part 1 being the older Servant of the Shard, but part 2 and 3 being the newest FR novels by Bob Salvatore).

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
donotwant.jpg

KB9JMQ

First Post
Insert Roll Eyes emoticon here. (If we still had it ;) )
I don't hate the character but I just can't stand him.
They sure don't need a marketing blitz to make him more known. You can't swing a dead cat around anywhere anymore without the name Drizz't coming up.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
This is so cool. Wow, 20 years already. Very smart move on WotC part. I've since far outgrown Drizzit but I know the youngsters like him. More power to them. For everyone who doesn't like Drizzt, grow up and get a life.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
I'll chime in with the "UGGH!", "NOOOOOOOOO!", and "DO NOT WANT" posters.

The "Drizzt-clone" theory is not just a myth, at least speaking for my experiences. I -still- find people who want to play the "Angsty Drow Exiled from the Underdark, hunted by his evil brethren" *SHUDDER*

The first Dark-Elf trilogy was PHENOMENAL for it's time, I will say that. Very enjoyable to read, reasonably well-written, and gave us a insightful look into a culture that was new and exciting at the time.

But as Salvatore keeps cranking books out, the impact has lessened considerably, and the writing has become lazy and cliche, IMO. (COmpare the "HOmeland" trilogy to the "Hunters Blades" trilogy.)

But if you're a fan of Entreri (And Jarlaxle), get the Sellswords Trilogy (part 1 being the older Servant of the Shard, but part 2 and 3 being the newest FR novels by Bob Salvatore).

UGH, again.
HOW are these two still alive?!
How many times have these two both escaped "Certain Death" scenarios?!
Just DIE already, so can get cool NEW villians and plots!

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Son_of_Thunder said:
This is so cool. Wow, 20 years already. Very smart move on WotC part. I've since far outgrown Drizzit but I know the youngsters like him. More power to them. For everyone who doesn't like Drizzt, grow up and get a life.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I'm not a Drizzt fan myself (I have the first 2 trilogies, which were fairly good, I thought, but that's it), but the hate is silly. Smacks of the elitism we see elsewhere, with the "D&D?! DO NOT WANT!"

I am, however, quite perturbed that I never found a Drizzt DDM mini to sell for $100+. :\

Bryan898

First Post
Does this mean WotC is going to make a Complete Driz'zt book?

Maybe he'll be in the next Dungeon AP. You'll "help" him save the world from the drow. Or maybe someone will clone an evil Driz'zt and you'll have to save the world from him?

Perphaps Driz'zt will surpass Elmunster as the most notorious/ powerful DMNPC ever? (Or has he already?)

I never cared much for Driz'zt past the Icewind Dale Trilogy. Maybe it's just because scimitars are for sissies... that's why those tree-hugging hippie druids use them.

Remove ads