• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Theandric Saga OOC

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
An engineer....

[sblock]Giovanni Angiulo
Grog, Engineer
Age 65

Int +2, Per 0, Pre -1, Com -1, Str 0, Sta +2, Dex 0, Qik 0
Personality traits: Strong -3 (alcoholic), Just +2 (honorable), Wise +1 (prudent)

Flaws: Arthritis, Noncombatant, Depressed
Virtues: Puissant Artes Liberales (arithmetic), Puissant Engineer, Clerk

Abilities: Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 4, Carouse (power drinking) 5, Church History (Church politics as regard land ownership) 5, Civil and Canon Law (laws and customs of Germany) 7, Ettiquette (the Church) 4, Folk Ken (landowners) 2, German (conversational) 4, Germany Lore (Rhine) 5, Greek (engineering and architectural treatises) 5, Italy Lore (Alps) 5, Italian (poetry) 5, Latin (engineering and architectural treatises) 4, Profession: Engineer (siegeworks and fortifications) 8, Survival (mountains) 2

Equipment: 2 small, worn books on classical engineering and castle-building, with various notes scrawled in the margins, a bottle of a fine Italian red wine, and a damaged copy of The Decameron.

Background: Born the son of wealthy Italian landowners in the Italian Alps, Giovanni had the opportunity to travel through Germany and Italy as a youth and eventually was sent to school to become a lawyer. Although he found himself a capable lawyer, he was more interested (and more adept) at engineering and the accompanying mathematical formulae. Married at a reasonably young age, Giovanni was highly successful as an architect, designing a number of villas and small castles for nobles. When his wife died in childbirth (the child dying as well), Giovanni began to drink and his former talent was swallowed by a sea of fine wine. He eventually found himself working for House Tremere and has been sent to Teneo with Octavian to instruct the young magi in engineering and siegeworks.[/sblock]

Yair

Community Supporter
Waiting...

[heavy New York accent]Are you waiting for me? ARE YOU WAITING FOR ME?[/heavy New York accent]
I'm waiting for you guys to move to the village or something.

On characters: I'll get around to them soon. Promise...
(Man, I've been slow lately... sorry... :eek: )

MummyKitty

First Post
Saw the Ars Magica 5th Edition book today at the local game shop... didn't buy it yet. Looked really good though. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list, along with all the other gaming stuff I want.... :)

Yair

Community Supporter
Sphynx said:
Any word yet on the character(s)?
Yes.
I've updated the first posts. However, I still have some notes.

Kajamba Lion
Eric Waldst has too few Abilities for his age (245/345 XP).
Giovann has too few Abilities (900/945 XP) as well, and one too many Personality Flaws (Grogs may have only 1). Have you considered a debt or dark secret, to account for why he is serving Tremre, and in such a remote region too?
Octavian: if he started his apprenticiship at the late teens, he should be older than 25. Also, change background to fit not having the extra Tremere PC around. And again too little XP (540/570 XP).

Sphynx
I didn’t go over any math.
How do you see Lupus’ Visions coming into play? What sort of visions has he been having, what do you expect from this virtue? Also – what about background? Is he a Tremere/servant guy? Is his ally a White Wolf of the Tremeres? [The irony is killing me.]
Dylan’s Flight of the Magus will incur normal falling damage upon, well, falling. I have no idea if speed is 40 MPH or not; speed is a normal bird’s flight speed. A Grimoire sheet would be nice.
Not sure where druid-led Celts are in 1220; I suppose Ireland?
What's his Gild?
Also, the .chr files would be nice.

Old Fezziwig

Yair said:
Kajamba Lion
Eric Waldst has too few Abilities for his age (245/345 XP).
Giovann has too few Abilities (900/945 XP) as well, and one too many Personality Flaws (Grogs may have only 1). Have you considered a debt or dark secret, to account for why he is serving Tremre, and in such a remote region too?
Octavian: if he started his apprenticiship at the late teens, he should be older than 25. Also, change background to fit not having the extra Tremere PC around. And again too little XP (540/570 XP).
Hrm. My math's really that bad? :\ Okay, I'll take a look at them and see what I can do.

I think I knew that Giovanni had too few points spent, but I was running out of things to buy — if he's missing 45 xp, though, let's cut his age down by 3 years. At 15 points a year that should make him even. I'll go ahead and fix his flaws and virtues.

I'll go back and double check my math on Octavian and Eric Waldst (although, to be fair, the former's not my doing — the math is all from the template) and repost them sometime today.

Oh — as a side note, I'm going to be away from my computer from this Wednesday night until next Monday morning (heading home for Thanksgiving), so I'll be MIA for a little bit.

Nick

MummyKitty

First Post
Did a little reading, from one book I have it says Druids may have survived in Ireland until the coming of Christianity. Of course, this being an Ars Magical campaign, there's no reason they couldn't be found anywhere you want them to be found, Yair. :)

Old Fezziwig

I've raised Octavian's Artes Liberales to 3 at a cost of 25 pts. and added Concentration 1 (reading) for the other 5. I've modified his history to reflect his age (he now has become an apprentice at the age of 10) and dropped the references to the other Tremere.[sblock]Octavian
Journeyman of House Tremere, filius to Daria la Gris
Apple Gild

Age: 25, Decrepitude 0, Warping Score 0, Confidence 1 (3)

Characteristics: Int +3, Per -2, Pre 0, Com 0, Str 0, Sta +2, Dex 0, Qik +1

Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Hermetic Magus; Elemental Magic, Book Learner, Cautious Sorcerer, Latent Magical Ability, Minor Magical Focus (certamen)*, Skilled Parens, Ambitious, Weak Magic Resistance, Susceptibility to Divine Power, Hermetic Prestige, Compulsion (perfection)

Personality Traits: Just +1 (authoritarian), Loyal +2 (respectful), Tolerant -1 (traditionalist)

Reputations: Hermetic 3

Abilities: Artes Liberales 3 (arithmetic), Charm 2 (magi), Code of
Hermes 1 (certamen law), Concentration 1 (reading), Engineer 2 (military fortifications and siegeworks), Etiquette 2 (Hermetic), Finesse 2 (Terram), Folk Ken 3 (magi), Intrigue 2 (Hermetic politics), Latin 4 (Hermetic terms), Magic Theory 3 (Creo), German 5 (giving orders), Order of Hermes Lore 2 (Tremere), Parma Magica 1 (Mentem), Penetration 3 (Ignem)

Arts: Cr 5, In 5, Mu 5, Pe 5, Re 5, An 0, Aq 3, Au 6, Co 0, He 0, Ig 6, Im 0, Me 1, Te 6, Vi 0

Equipment: Wizardly robes, staff.

Spells Known
Circling Winds of Protection (CrAu 20) +13
Rain of Stones (MuAu(Te) 20) +13
Pilum of Fire (CrIg 20) +13
Soothe th Raging Flames (PeIg 20) +13
Tremulous Vault of the Torch's Flame (ReIg 5) +13
Seal the Earth (CrTe 15) +13
Unseen Arm (ReTe 5) +13
Trackless Step (ReTe 10) +13
Hands of the Grasping Earth (ReTe 15) +13
Earth that Breaks No More (MuTe 20) +13

The son of some wealthy German merchants, Octavian was apprenticed to Daria la Gris a, having already shown marked mathematical aptitude. She sent the lad to Coeris to learn advanced engineering theories involving the construction of siegeworks, fortifications, bridges, and so on. Afterwards, she trained him in Rego and Terram, teaching him to use his magical abilities to enhance his mundane skills and aptitudes.

Although he has proven to be a less than capable soldier (he is nowhere near as rugged as most Tremere magi, nor does he have any specific prowess in melee combat), he has proven to be a solid poltician and officer — and his engineering training makes him an excellent aide to a field commander. A traditionalist, Octavian is also somewhat pragmatic, something Daria has tried to instill in him with mixed results; he belongs to the Apple Gild and has rather progressive views regarding Hermetic politics, for instance, but still believes in the rigid hierarchies and social codes of his time, regardless of how outdated they might be. He has gone to Teneo at her command, to solidify the Gild presence there.

Description: Tall and somewhat handsome, Octavian has a decidedly academic air to him — he is clearly not a soldier. He wears plain robes and clothing and frequently carries an ornate walking staff.[/sblock]For Erich, I've added 1 rank to his Single Weapon skill, bringing it up to 5 at the cost of 25 pts. and put 75 pts. into Awareness (alertness).[sblock]Erich Waldst
Highwayman, on the run from the Alsace-Lorraine

Characteristics: Int +1, Per +1, Str +1, Sta +1, Pre 0, Com 0, Dex +2, Qik +2

Flaws: Outlaw (major), Enemies (major, German nobles from the Alsace-Lorraine) Ability Block (illiterate), Missing Eye
Virtues: Common Sense, Improved Characteristics, Lightning Reflexes, Luck, Puissant Guile, Puissant Stealth, Self Confident, Sharp Ears
Personality Traits: Wise (clever) +2, Strong (flexible ethics/morals) -3, Strong (practical) +3

Confidence: 2 (5)

Abilities: Alertness (awareness) 5, Brawl (punches) 2, Folk Ken (thieves and scoundrels) 3, German (slang) 5, Guile (extravagant stories) 2, Intrigue (plotting) 3, Ledgermain (filching) 2, Ride (speed) 2, Single Weapon (short sword) 4, Stealth (hide) 5

Equipment: short sword (+1 Init, +3 Atk, +1 Dfn, +5 Dam, -1 Str), heavy leather jerkin (2 Prot)

Background: Born poor in the southwestern part of Germany, Erich grew up a bit of a rogue and a scoundrel, running away at a young age. He survived on whatever he could steal, eventually falling in with some notorious thieves and scoundrels that terrorized peasants, pilgrims, and merchants travelling through the Alsace-Lorraine. Years of success eventually caught up with him, as he ended up robbing a few nobles by accident and only barely escaping them as he fled to Pomerania. The road eventually led to Fengheld, where he's subsided on odd jobs and occasional physical labor. He longs for a reasonably safe place where he could put some of his skills to work in a semi-honest fashion. figuring that his theoretical patron may be willing to stand in between the past and him.[/sblock]Finally, Giovanni has lost three years off of his age, making him xx. According to the book, he can have up to three minor flaws (page 29), so I haven't changed those yet. Edit: Check that, I found the information on page 37 (no more than one personality flaw, so I've changed noncombatant to blackmail.[sblock]Giovanni Angiulo
Grog, Engineer
Age 65

Int +2, Per 0, Pre -1, Com -1, Str 0, Sta +2, Dex 0, Qik 0
Personality traits: Strong -3 (alcoholic), Just +2 (honorable), Wise +1 (prudent)

Flaws: Arthritis, Blackmail, Depressed
Virtues: Puissant Artes Liberales (arithmetic), Puissant Engineer, Clerk

Abilities: Artes Liberales (arithmetic) 4, Carouse (power drinking) 5, Church History (Church politics as regard land ownership) 5, Civil and Canon Law (laws and customs of Germany) 7, Ettiquette (the Church) 4, Folk Ken (landowners) 2, German (conversational) 4, Germany Lore (Rhine) 5, Greek (engineering and architectural treatises) 5, Italy Lore (Alps) 5, Italian (poetry) 5, Latin (engineering and architectural treatises) 4, Profession: Engineer (siegeworks and fortifications) 8, Survival (mountains) 2

Equipment: 2 small, worn books on classical engineering and castle-building, with various notes scrawled in the margins, a bottle of a fine Italian red wine, and a damaged copy of The Decameron.

Background: Born the son of wealthy Italian landowners in the Italian Alps, Giovanni had the opportunity to travel through Germany and Italy as a youth and eventually was sent to school to become a lawyer. Although he found himself a capable lawyer, he was more interested (and more adept) at engineering and the accompanying mathematical formulae. Married at a reasonably young age, Giovanni was highly successful as an architect, designing a number of villas and small castles for nobles. When his wife died in childbirth (the child dying as well), Giovanni began to drink and his former talent was swallowed by a sea of fine wine. He eventually found himself working for House Tremere and has been sent to Teneo with Octavian to instruct the young magi in engineering and siegeworks.

Blackmail:
Giovanni left civilian life and moved into Hermetic circles due to his knowledge of some less than holy arrangements and behaviors of and on the part of the Church, as discovered through his studies and work. He has "disappeared" as part of his agreement with the Church — in exchange for between 30 and 50 silver pennies, he promises to do work solely for the magi and to leave commoners and ecclesiastics alone.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Sphynx

First Post
Yair said:
[sblock]
Sphynx
I didn’t go over any math.
How do you see Lupus’ Visions coming into play? What sort of visions has he been having, what do you expect from this virtue? Also – what about background? Is he a Tremere/servant guy? Is his ally a White Wolf of the Tremeres? [The irony is killing me.]
Dylan’s Flight of the Magus will incur normal falling damage upon, well, falling. I have no idea if speed is 40 MPH or not; speed is a normal bird’s flight speed. A Grimoire sheet would be nice.
Not sure where druid-led Celts are in 1220; I suppose Ireland?
What's his Gild?
Also, the .chr files would be nice.[/sblock]

[sblock]
Not positive I understand the Visions question, but will do my best to build upon the flaw with story, which is what I think you want....

Lupus' visions are more of a flaw from being too perceptive. When he enters an area that is highly magical, or highly emotional (Ie: battlefields, burial grounds, sacrificial areas, etc), his perceptions can become clouded as past/present/future events all merge into a single image/sound. He could walk into a place where a great battle took place and be overcome with imagery of the battle, dodging out of attacks that aren't there. In a place of a planned, future battle, the same spectral images could also befall him, but since the future is not locked in fate, Images disappear as fast as they appear, showing only attacks of importance that 'might' happen. In addition to these negative traits, his visions are also interactive with his premonition skill, and at times he 'sees' the danger instead of just getting a feel for the possible danger. He's had no vision for several weeks now, his last vision having been of a drowning boy as he drank at a lake, possible a death in the past or a possible death in the near future.

His Wolf Companion is his brother, the last remaining Wolf of the pack he was raised in. He is a large, ebony black wolf that is still hesitant to join Lupus' new "pack" of humans, and remains on the outskirts, stalking the woods. Although he doesn't understand the intricacies that would split a common group of people from within a group of people (Ie: He doesn't grasp that a Tremere is a Tremere, they are all a part of the 'pack') , his closest 'friends' are the Tremere who recognize the hierarchy within the pack. His brother remains in the woods, hidden in shadows.

Dylan:
40 MPH is the average velocity of a bird in the air, though smaller birds average closer to 30, larger birds like geese and predatorial birds average much higher than 40.

Ireland is his place of birth, yes.

I don't know what you mean by 'his gild'. If you mean his sigil, it's that his hair moves as if being blown by a mild wind. His Sigil for the tribunal is a silver ring with 3 silver, wavy lines engraved on a flat circle of black.

I'll email the .chr files for you.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Yair

Community Supporter
Sphynx...
[sblock]
Sphynx said:
Not positive I understand the Visions question, but will do my best to build upon the flaw with story, which is what I think you want....

Lupus' visions are more of a flaw from being too perceptive. When he enters an area that is highly magical, or highly emotional (Ie: battlefields, burial grounds, sacrificial areas, etc), his perceptions can become clouded as past/present/future events all merge into a single image/sound. He could walk into a place where a great battle took place and be overcome with imagery of the battle, dodging out of attacks that aren't there. In a place of a planned, future battle, the same spectral images could also befall him, but since the future is not locked in fate, Images disappear as fast as they appear, showing only attacks of importance that 'might' happen. In addition to these negative traits, his visions are also interactive with his premonition skill, and at times he 'sees' the danger instead of just getting a feel for the possible danger. He's had no vision for several weeks now, his last vision having been of a drowning boy as he drank at a lake, possible a death in the past or a possible death in the near future.
That's great.
His Wolf Companion is his brother, the last remaining Wolf of the pack he was raised in. He is a large, ebony black wolf that is still hesitant to join Lupus' new "pack" of humans, and remains on the outskirts, stalking the woods. Although he doesn't understand the intricacies that would split a common group of people from within a group of people (Ie: He doesn't grasp that a Tremere is a Tremere, they are all a part of the 'pack') , his closest 'friends' are the Tremere who recognize the hierarchy within the pack. He is fascinated by the White Wolf, but so far, there have been no trials of Dominance between him and the White wolf to understand who is the Alpha. As for his Brother and the White Wolf, they have a mutual understanding that the covenant area is the territiory of the White Wolf, and his brother remains in the woods, hidden in shadows. (I hope that's ok....., not read much about this White Wolf yet)
Not so great.
The Tremere have these great White Wolfs back in Coeris, in the Transylvania Tribunal. They're close, some suspect some Tremere have white-wolf heartbeasts. Tremere also have a lot of affinity with other wolves.
But there is no White Wolf around Teneo, our covenant. Not unless you decide to make him your animal companion (they have Might 10, BTW). If you, it is your brother. It isn't another wolf.

Dylan:
40 MPH is the average velocity of a bird in the air, though smaller birds average closer to 30, larger birds like geese and predatorial birds average much higher than 40.

Ireland is his place of birth, yes.
Cool.

I don't know what you mean by 'his gild'. If you mean his sigil, it's that his hair moves as if being blown by a mild wind. His Sigil for the tribunal is a silver ring with 3 silver, wavy lines engraved on a flat circle of black.
Every character in this saga should choose a Gild. It's kind of like a political party. The different gilds are explained in post #8 in this thread.
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads