D&D 5E Theorycrafting Versatile

Quartz

Hero
I've been thinking about the Versatile property, particularly with reference to the Longsword. At the moment the Versatile property means that this is one-handed weapon that can be used two-handed. But what if that were reversed: what if Versatile were to mean that this is a two-handed weapon that can be used one-handed? This is a nice but important distinction.

So how about this: a Versatile weapon always uses the higher die but takes a -2 penalty to damage if used one-handed? This represents the possibility of a bad strike. And it has a corollary: any one-handed weapon can be used two-handed for extra power (+1 damage).

sim-h

Explorer
Are you going to keep a minimum damage of 1, or zero? Penalties to damage could reduce the damage to zero or negative. Probably why the rule as written is the way it is.

As I understand it, the main problem with the Versatile property is that the bit of extra damage when used two-handed cannot really compete against using it one-handed when factoring in shield use and fighting styles.

Quartz

Hero
Are you going to keep a minimum damage of 1, or zero? Penalties to damage could reduce the damage to zero or negative. Probably why the rule as written is the way it is.

I would see a minimum of 1 damage. But don't forget that there can be all sorts of additional effects on a hit - Smite Damage, Colossus Slayer, etc etc - which can all add to the damage.

As I understand it, the main problem with the Versatile property is that the bit of extra damage when used two-handed cannot really compete against using it one-handed when factoring in shield use and fighting styles.

Only the Duellist fighting style.

200orcs

First Post
That's too poweful. In Pathfinder there are entire archetypes and feats that do this, including giving it a minus to hit.

Think of it this way, do you consider a Barbarian with a shield and a greatsword OP or not? But as an archetype it would be balanced in my book.

Also if you can one hand a 2H weapon, can I dual wield it?

Xeviat

Hero
I'm not sure what you're hoping to change of this, but I do like the "use a one-handed weapon in two hands for +1 damage". It doesn't work for rapiers, but maybe if you switch your stance and palm the pommel you can get a little more force on a thrust.

What I'd like to see is there be a good reason for a fighter to use a longsword and no shield. Are they keeping their off-hand free for bonus action grabs? Do they get a higher attack bonus when wielding a weapon in one hand but more damage when wielding it in two? Like, I feel like there was a reason people fought with longswords instead of always going for something even bigger, even when most of the longsword techniques utilize two hands.

But what if that were reversed: what if Versatile were to mean that this is a two-handed weapon that can be used one-handed? This is a nice but important distinction.
I don't exactly follow. Would you mind spelling out the difference? How would this change the way that the weapon is used, in practice?

GlassJaw

Hero

Well it's just that - it gives you another option. It's useful when you are fighting weak opponents and aren't concerned with the extra AC or you are fighting an enemy with a high attack bonus and you'll probably get hit regardless if you use a shield so every extra bit of damage helps.

Also useful if you are getting extra attacks, such as the round you use Action Surge.

Quartz

Hero
I don't exactly follow. Would you mind spelling out the difference? How would this change the way that the weapon is used, in practice?

Sorry, I thought my OP was very clear.

Current: a weapon with the Versatile property is a one-handed weapon that does increased damage when used as a two-handed weapon.

Theorycraft: a weapon with the Versatile property is a two-handed weapon that does reduced damage when used as a one-handed weapon.

Remove ads