• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

They're back: Return of the Slivers. [Updated 24/8-2005: Beware the Overlord!]

MetaruSonikku

First Post
Not entirely satisfied? What seems to be wrong with it? Not powerful enough? TOO powerful? Not "Slivery" enough?

Or just shuddering at the thought of an Axiomatic Half-Sliver Bulette?

Post what you've got, we'll be gentle, and I'm sure we'll all help you out.

Krishnath

First Post
MetaruSonikku said:
Not entirely satisfied? What seems to be wrong with it? Not powerful enough? TOO powerful? Not "Slivery" enough?

Or just shuddering at the thought of an Axiomatic Half-Sliver Bulette?

Post what you've got, we'll be gentle, and I'm sure we'll all help you out.

Oh, te template is good and balanced, it just feels like something is missing. :\

Take a gander and give me some suggestions.

Attachments

• Half-Sliver (Template).doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 178

SliverFox9x

First Post
Bow Down

*Offers sacrifice: Big Elk Thingy Critter*
Well done, now, lets take these and run a test...
If you were to put Slivers against the Zerg, who would win?
If you were to put Slivers against ALIEN, who would win?
What happens when all 3 come into play?

And, what would two overlords fighting look like? To say the least, the battle would be messy, and that's not to mention the other 4K+ slivers in each hive tearing each other apart...Then you add the pathetic human resistance caught in the middle, along with whatever else you can throw in, like....for example, the Ancient Gold Dragon or two, along with elementals who don't like the power flux going on, and the band of unsuspecting druids who feel great power emanating from the hive and go to investigate....And the now awakened zombies...or something....

It would be awesome if someone 3D modeled a battle of the slivers....

SliverFox9x

First Post
Suggestions....

Suppose that instead of putting slivers against enemies, why not combine the species?
We need a sliver that assimilates foes, and one that captures for assimilation. Why not give the slivers some sort of bombshell suicide sliver that sprays acid everywhere? There could be slivers that were....malleable, like a sliver contortionist, able to fit into holes they dig in the cieling....

SliverFox9x

First Post
Overlord Queen thing...

So, the overlord was a freak mutation. BUT, what if the Overlord was hit by that "Magical Supernuke" again and merged with the queen?

Then what?

*contemplating "SuperSliver"....*

SliverFox9x

First Post
Half-Sliver Template

How would one go about injecting the sliver DNA on one's own? I wouldn't mind my guy going half-sliver, so long as I had an ample amount of control, y'know, without the queen ruling every mental aspect....Kinda' like Kerrigan on Starcraft...Funny how things like this often repeat themselves...

Krishnath

First Post
SliverFox9x said:
How would one go about injecting the sliver DNA on one's own? I wouldn't mind my guy going half-sliver, so long as I had an ample amount of control, y'know, without the queen ruling every mental aspect....Kinda' like Kerrigan on Starcraft...Funny how things like this often repeat themselves...
You're nuts.
But to answer your questions:

1. Slivers vs Zerg: 50/50 that either side would win
2. Slivers Vs. Aliens: Slivers reproduce quicker, slivers would win.
3. Slivers Vs. Zerg Vs. Aliens. Slivers would win.
4. Overlord vs. Overlord: Whomever goes first most likely win. Then the rest of the people there are mulch.
5. Overlord merged with a Queen. I cannot answer that, but I suspect it would be messy.
6. Injecting sliver DNA into yourself, well it's actually active sliver cells. Craft (Alchemy) DC 25 to get the extract and then a simple DC 15 heal check to inject it. Only takes about 6 hours or so to get the effect. Of course a half-sliver is pretty much unplayable as the characters personality changes to such an extent that the person can not function properly. They are in effect slivers and will think and act like slivers. For the good of the hive.

MetaruSonikku

First Post
Just read the template. It seems good to me, I think that what may be throwing you off is that, by itself, it isn't much to look at, but when that poor Half-Sliver Fighter gets some of his Sliver pals together, well, then he's a force to reckon with.

Perhaps something along the lines of a shared ability for the Half-Sliver? Something like "Every Sliver within 60' of this creature gains one class level, dependant on the Half-Sliver." or something...

Like, if a 5th level Half-Sliver Human Fighter gets some of his slivery pals around him, those slivers all gain a level in Fighter.

Could be an accounting nightmare, but the slivers by themselves are already an accounting nightmare. Powers that be forbid someone ever encounters a Hive of these things. You'd need a Cray just to compile the first round's bonuses.

Anywho, as far as the template goes, I like. It's nice and slivery.

As for the suggestion of the hour:

Proto-Slivers for Mage's Familiars!

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
I would never give the half-sliver a shared ability to grant to other slivers, after all it's not a true sliver.

As for proto-slivers as familiars, no, not going to happen. Not even as an Improved Familiar, at least not in my campaign, what you do in yours is up to you.

MetaruSonikku

First Post
hehehe... oh I figured they were not even remote possibilities, but I've found that while discounting the impossible, sometimes it inspires.

Personally, if someone asked me for a Proto-Sliver familiar, I'd say "Go to the Queen and get one yourself, ya bum!" or something with slightly more venom. ;)

As for the Half-Sliver, any luck pegging what was bugging you about it?

Remove ads